PDA

View Full Version : Q: Rockfish on artificials?

BBL2Baja
03-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Okay, I've seen Dan Hernandez do it, but does anyone else? I'm looking to try something a little different during my upcoming rockfish trip. I'd like to boat a few reds using bucktails, plastics, whatever. Anybody have any tips or go-tos that would let me have a little peek?

I was at BPS in Pearland, Tx (Houston, which has TWO Bass Pros) and picked up a whole slew of bucktails, plastics and some other stuff for when the faster stuff starts swimming in. :D So, I'm pretty excited to get on the salt again.

Another question I have is, should I slow down my retrieve for the bottom feeders? I'm usually fishing the dropper with live bait, so there's no real technique. I have a Daiwa Saltist with a 6+:1 ratio, a Newell 229 with a 5.1:1, a good old Penn 500 with a 4+:1 and a Penn Long Beach that has a crawling 2+:1. Does is really matter that much or am I overthinking it? I'm not too versed in fishing for Rocks, so any help will....err....help. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Later,
Scott

NoHo ART
03-10-2008, 03:15 PM
i fished a few times off of a few charter boats and what worked good for me was green plastics with a yellow lead head and a strip of squid on the hook to top it off

Ricky-Ray
03-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Okay, I've seen Dan Hernandez do it, but does anyone else? I'm looking to try something a little different during my upcoming rockfish trip. I'd like to boat a few reds using bucktails, plastics, whatever. Anybody have any tips or go-tos that would let me have a little peek?

I was at BPS in Pearland, Tx (Houston, which has TWO Bass Pros) and picked up a whole slew of bucktails, plastics and some other stuff for when the faster stuff starts swimming in. :D So, I'm pretty excited to get on the salt again.

Another question I have is, should I slow down my retrieve for the bottom feeders? I'm usually fishing the dropper with live bait, so there's no real technique. I have a Daiwa Saltist with a 6+:1 ratio, a Newell 229 with a 5.1:1, a good old Penn 500 with a 4+:1 and a Penn Long Beach that has a crawling 2+:1. Does is really matter that much or am I overthinking it? I'm not too versed in fishing for Rocks, so any help will....err....help. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Later,
Scott

Try using some of the Berkley Gulp bait's like the shrimp, swimming mullet or jerkshad. I've had great success on the rockfish with those particular baits. Any of the reels you have above will work, the main idea behind slowly winding your line back in is that if you go too fast your fish will start to spin like helicopter blades and that increases the chance of the fish coming off, it also adds twist to you line. A nice slow steady retrieve will help and also if you add barrel swivel to your setup will help prevent line twist too.

cappo
03-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I usually use the Berkley jerkshads as mentioned above, or some shrimp flies with a strip of squid. Can't go wrong with either of those reels you mentioned.
Good luck.

fleaflicker
03-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Diamond jigs, jax jigs, braid jigs, megabaits, take your pick. In sizes anywhere from 4-16 oz depending on depth, current and wind speed.

Take that 229 and fill it completely with 50-65 lb spectra and you should be good to go.

Lingcod love to eat the metal too, so be sure to be bouncing your jig very close to the bottom.

Have fun.

Kalicos
03-10-2008, 07:04 PM
butterfly jigs. dont forget river2sea if you are on a tight budget. ditto on the gulp!. definitely try the 5" gulp squid on a drop shot.

bsp
03-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Try the new Lucanus jigs by Shimano. They were specifically designed for rock cod.

Ricky-Ray
03-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I've been hearing mixed reports about the new system from Shimano. I will probably add one or two of those things to my arsenal but if it's deep water rockfishing, it don't have the weight to get down there to work the way it's intended to.

willis949
03-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Dont forget Black cats,roman candles or screamin Mimis,lady fingers, buzzbuttles,sneaker bombs,church burners,finger blasters,gut blasters,zipideedoodahs,whistling bungholes,spleen splitters,whisker biscuits,honkey lighters,husker do's,husker donts,cherry bombs and whistling kitty chasers

Joe Dirt

bsp
03-11-2008, 07:51 PM
I've been hearing mixed reports about the new system from Shimano. I will probably add one or two of those things to my arsenal but if it's deep water rockfishing, it don't have the weight to get down there to work the way it's intended to.

I think they have a 7oz jig, but I may be thinking of something else.

Brian_GSC
03-11-2008, 08:33 PM
dude, fishing artificials for rockfish is fun! I like fishing from the bow...cast up-drift and SLOWLY work it back. Same with a jig...cast up-drift and jig it back. Braided line is a definite plus!

2quikmotorwerks
03-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Dont forget Black cats,roman candles or screamin Mimis,lady fingers, buzzbuttles,sneaker bombs,church burners,finger blasters,gut blasters,zipideedoodahs,whistling bungholes,spleen splitters,whisker biscuits,honkey lighters,husker do's,husker donts,cherry bombs and whistling kitty chasers

Joe Dirtlmfao:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Matador1238
03-19-2008, 01:30 PM
I havent yet to try Gummi Worms.