PDA

View Full Version : 3/08/08 ---SpItFiRe NiNjA sTyLe

k3vin_kim
03-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Went to Fred Hall Show and picked up some new fishing clothes and some bells and whistles yesterday. Wanted to try out my new threads and jumped on the Spitfire by myself. I got to the landing at 5:55AM and bought my ticket and found the usual suspects on board.

Captain Craig in the wheel house, Morgan and BobbyK on the deck and Derrick in the galley.
Ended up being 26 anglers on board with not a single person (besides the spitcrew) from FNN.

While we picked up bait (small sardines) I asked Craig where we'd be fishing. He informed me we're hitting up the rockfish about 5-6 miles west of Redondo landing.

The recommended set up was a double dropper loop with two circle hooks above a 8-12 oz sinker. The first stop we drifted over about 3 or 4 times. Fishing depths of around 220 to 260 feet. Many great quality fish came over on these drifts. Salmon Groupers, Red Snappers, Barber Poles, Starries, Chuckles, Sole.

I was tangled up with newbs on the other side of the boat on my first 3 times dropping down. I was getting scared that I might miss my chance at the first big couple of fish that were down there b'cuz my first 20 minutes were spent trying to get outta tangles. Note: If you're going to be doing any codding in deep water... bring heavy weights (10,12,14).
I should add that I actually didn't do any of the UNtangling, Morgan (deckhand extraordinare) and Craig took care of telling the folks on the other side of the boat to "STOP PULLING~!"

Anyways, About the 3rd drift over, I decided to stop fishing the port and starboard and went up to the bow with the numerous spitfire regs that were on board. I noticed one of the veterans (Terry) was using dropper looped flies (red) w/skwid and the snappers love it.

If you want to catch a salmon grouper (Alan), all you had to do was stick a sardine on your hook and drop it down. Simple Simple fishing. We were really putting the hurt on the fish today on Spit.

The 4th drift over, I dropped down a double sardine and as soon as it hit the bottom my line went slack for a split second and then my rod loaded up. Reel, reel, reeled three cranks and then swing... (at 240 feet and nothing but mono I swung hard)... Slow slow slow steady cranking whatever it was it was heavy. Eventually it spun spun spun up from the depths and then i saw a bright red color. The jackpot snapper~! Morgan was right next to me and as he unhooked it - he was thinkin... "there's my payday".

After that, I just sat back for a while and took pictures and horse played with the crew. You know the usual coaxing and coercing that goes on. Boxed with BobbyK a few times and talked about harassing women with Derrick.

Next stop was 5 miles later at the scuplin grounds where we fished the day out and loaded up on Scorpions. We were still fishing pretty deep at around 200-210 feet and the setup was double dropper looped scampi with leadhead. I saw a variety of different colored plasitcs around the boat and we all were getting hit. Especially the Chartruse And the Red Sprinkle.

There was plenty of fish for everybody today on the Spitfire. A lot of regulars on board and a lot of Newbs as well. When the cutting board was laid out after our last stop everybody got their fish out and their Boc's were NO MATCH for my snapper. I mean.. like... i was actually embarassed for the next guy who put up his puny fish next to mine. I'm just kidding. Actually i'm not - but you guys know how it feels when you win boat JP. Don't sit there and tell me your jewels don't feel a little heavier.

Anyways as I was saying... The cutting board came out, I went into the galley to order a beer, I come back out and my snapper is missing... Craig informed Bobby K to search everyone's bags because that kind of activity would be unacceptable on Craig's boat. Intuitively, BobbyK opened a bag of a suspicious newb and WHAT DO YA KNOW?? Note: To any newb that wants to try fishing on a sport boat... don't put another anglers fish in your bag - particularly the biggest one... someone is bound to notice... especially if you hold a spinning reel like a conventional and some nice asain dude with spikey hair offers to help you out... A-hole.

Impressive is the crew and the results of the spit. I got my fish/freepass, Crew got their numbers and the day was great.

Peace.

KK

cappo
03-08-2008, 07:21 PM
nice ninja trip Kev
I thought Jaylo was going there today, prob slept in again.
Way to go on the jackpot. Sucks that someone is so desperate to steal a fish. Lame.

sansou
03-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Congrats on the JP!

Who in the heck steals fish? :roll:

ghetto dad
03-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Great report kevin.....great job the JP man.....cya whenever i guess....no one wants to get together anymore.....laterz

GD

deanhall32
03-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Nice job Kevin. Is this the first time you've entered in the jackpot?? Did you already call the Fishwrap??

k3vin_kim
03-08-2008, 09:21 PM
CAPPO: Thanx, yeah the guys were saying, especially Derek, that JLOPEZ had texted one of the crew saying "yeah I'm gonna bring all you guys lunch and munchies" or something to that effect. They were rather disappointed.

Sansou: This dude was one of those guys that just.. didn't belong on a fishing boat. I mean, size 42 pants, backwards cap, some kinda sports jersey... the whole 9 yards. Although his girlfriend was easy on the eyes.... Right crew?

GD: Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I was a little antsy after that last halibut drift to go catch something. I didn't decide to go fishing until 1 AM the same day.

Coach: I figured since there were less than 30 people on the boat, I had a pretty good chance. The crew always gets the JP anyways right? Fishwrap... no i havn't contacted them yet but that's a good idea. Matter of fact I'll do that right now.

BY THE WAY GUYS : IN CASE YOU DON'T KNOW YET, I QUIT MY JOB FOR ANOTHER IN ORANGE COUNTY. I'M NOT SURE HOW THIS IS GOING TO AFFECT MY FISHING BUT THE NEW JOB IS PAYING ME DOUBLE WHAT I'M MAKING NOW. I'M PRETTY PSYCHED ABOUT THE NEW JOB THOUGH. PEACE.

flytyingreloader
03-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Nice work, Kevin! Fish thieves and bird claimers are low-life drain-clog hairballs.

Great story about "claimers".......a guy my Dad and I hunted with (Vic Collins) got transferred by his company (then GTE) to their Chicago office, and Vic bought a house a few doors down from Dick Butkus. Yeah, he got paid good. This was about the time Butkus' career was winding down with the Bears, but EVERYONE in northern Illinois knew him on sight.

Vic gets to know Dick pretty well, and invites him along on a goose hunt. Dick agrees to go along, and they are busting honkers pretty well as the morning progresses. A pair of hunters in the pit next to theirs made a habit of claiming Vic's and Dick's birds, of which Dick was most unappreciative. Vic told him not to sweat it, the birds were thick and these jerks would limit out soon on their claimed birds, and allow more shooting for Dick and Vic.

Not good enough.

Within minutes, Dick folds a BIG honker--only to have one of the fools next door shoot once, climb out of the pit, and pick up Dick's bird. Dick said, "THAT'S ALL!" and climbed out of their pit. He walked over to the adjacent pit, threw open the cover, and told the occupants that if they claimed one more of his birds--he was going to kick some major aspirations.

End of problem.

ghetto dad
03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
CAPPO: Thanx, yeah the guys were saying, especially Derek, that JLOPEZ had texted one of the crew saying "yeah I'm gonna bring all you guys lunch and munchies" or something to that effect. They were rather disappointed.

Sansou: This dude was one of those guys that just.. didn't belong on a fishing boat. I mean, size 42 pants, backwards cap, some kinda sports jersey... the whole 9 yards. Although his girlfriend was easy on the eyes.... Right crew?

GD: Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I was a little antsy after that last halibut drift to go catch something. I didn't decide to go fishing until 1 AM the same day.

Coach: I figured since there were less than 30 people on the boat, I had a pretty good chance. The crew always gets the JP anyways right? Fishwrap... no i havn't contacted them yet but that's a good idea. Matter of fact I'll do that right now.

BY THE WAY GUYS : IN CASE YOU DON'T KNOW YET, I QUIT MY JOB FOR ANOTHER IN ORANGE COUNTY. I'M NOT SURE HOW THIS IS GOING TO AFFECT MY FISHING BUT THE NEW JOB IS PAYING ME DOUBLE WHAT I'M MAKING NOW. I'M PRETTY PSYCHED ABOUT THE NEW JOB THOUGH. PEACE.

congrats man!!! you can pay for my next trip with you!!! thanks bro!!!8-)

k3vin_kim
03-08-2008, 10:01 PM
FLYTYINGRELOADER: Cool story. I've never been hunting before. But I don't know if I'd want to get into an argument with another party... especially if everyone had shotguns.

GD: I just walked into that one ey?

Ricky-Ray
03-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Congrats on JP. Sorry your fish "walked away" for a little while. Sucks huh. At least Craig took care of business the right way. Nice pics and report.

Hawkeye
03-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the report and the pictures KK!

Man, they need to bring back the walking the plank again for this type of thing! But seriously, why would anyone want to steal a fish? Was he trying to win the JP? Or maybe he had a big family to feed so he needed the big fish, hahaha. What did this idiot do when you guys caught him?

k3vin_kim
03-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Hawkeye: he was a youngster. Probably 21-22 years old. I don't think he had any kids but I think he was kinda embarassed that he didn't catch anything all day. By the way, you see the sculpin in the thumbnails that I attatched? he stole that one too but I didn't really make a big deal about it. When i had my fish cleaned I asked morgan if he could hook me up with a sculpin or 2. The guy behind me in line said that he caught 5 extra sculpin and filled up that guys bag.

I really have to hand it to BobbyK. He's got hawkeyes too... Bobby knew that that guy didn't catch much all day so it was the first bag he checked.

The whole ride home him and his girlfriend were up on the second tier (on the bench next to the wheel house) conveniently away from the hoopla that was going on during the bag search.

Oz
03-09-2008, 11:15 AM
congrats on ya JP rockfish kev :roll::lol:

yea that does suck someone did that 2 u and thought they werent gonna get caught :lol: what a tard. funny thing its not the first time someone has done that on the boat. someone one time took one of my bass out my bag. not like it was a big one. but morgan took care of things.:cool:

one_leg
03-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Hey k3vin, good for you buddy!!! Way to show the regulars how we do it for a change.

Did the commie fish thief tangle you up too? Sounds like him and his girl had a real fun date....LOL Poor gal.

If you want to catch a salmon grouper (Alan), all you had to do was stick a sardine on your hook and drop it down. Simple Simple fishing.

k3vin, you've gotten me confused with Victor101 again.
Anyhows, I think my last wormcaccio would have punked your red no problemo. Ha Ha Ha.

Great report, kevin, thanks for posting it up.

One_Leg

Funjunkie74
03-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Not too shabby....but that dude is definitely shady!

FJ74
Team NBU

k3vin_kim
03-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Alan the boc's that were coming up were just as big as the snapper. However the Red is just too dense to compete with. These two were my keepers.

ALSO KEEP YOUR EYES OUT FOR THE FISH SNATCHERS~!!

calico killer kevin
03-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Dude, sweet red! For the dude that stole your fish... what a jackass.
Seriously, why the heck would anyone even think about stealing a fish from someone else's sack anyway?

Calico Killer Kevin

Ricky-Ray
03-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Seriously, why the heck would anyone even think about stealing a fish from someone else's sack anyway?

You'd be suprised how often it happens. I've been on a few trips where some of my bigger fish mysteriously "walked" away from my bag. Sometimes the deckhands were able to locate the "misplaced" fish and sometimes they couldn't the times that they couldn't they would hook me up with some of the extra fish that was left over.

Makes me want to carry a rusty screwdriver in my tackle bag sometimes. ;)

jaylpz
03-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Fever at 102 friday night will keep a guy in bed. i know... i still should've gone. i was pissed because i had already bought the crew food, so i had alll kinds of food to get rid of. hate being sick

Hawkeye
03-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Alan the boc's that were coming up were just as big as the snapper. However the Red is just too dense to compete with. These two were my keepers.

ALSO KEEP YOUR EYES OUT FOR THE FISH SNATCHERS~!!

Kevin, what the heck are you holding on your mouth? Is it some good luck charm or maybe it's a homemade lure you used to catch the two fish you are holding? hahaha

cappo
03-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Whats up with the bandana over your face? Trying hide from the fishing paparazzi?

k3vin_kim
03-10-2008, 05:01 PM
well, i went ninja and all so I thought I'd go all out.

J/p, Since I got this new job, I didn't want my face to burn. Even if I put on spf 70 sunblock the top part of my cheeks and right under my eyes turn lobster red. So i sported the bandana which helped. In the picture when I was brining in the fish, it slipped off and so I caught it with my upper lip.

ghetto dad
03-10-2008, 08:36 PM

J/p, Since I got this new job, I didn't want my face to burn, and after i have just one beer, the top part of my cheeks and right under my eyes turn lobster red. So i sported the bandana which helped. In the picture when I was brining in the fish, it slipped off and so I caught it with my upper lip.

lololololololo

Funjunkie74
03-12-2008, 12:30 PM

J/p, Since I got this new job, I didn't want my face to burn. Even if I put on spf 70 sunblock the top part of my cheeks and right under my eyes turn lobster red. So i sported the bandana which helped. In the picture when I was brining in the fish, it slipped off and so I caught it with my upper lip.

lololololololo

Yeah, it's an Asian thing...we have no nose.
I have to be careful of the sunglass I buy...they just slide right off...

FJ74

jplee3
03-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Nice job dude. Man, I've gotta get back on the water with you guys. Especially when it comes time to hunt the elusive YTs that I still have yet to catch (and also lings for later). Sorry to hear about the shadiness, but glad to hear he didn't get off the hook w/ it.

k3vin_kim
03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
get off the hook w/it? Jeremy was that your attempt at a joke?

jplee3
03-12-2008, 03:10 PM
get off the hook w/it? Jeremy was that your attempt at a joke?

Not really... :) but now that you bring it up

one_leg
03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Very few Asian Comics in the world.

Now I know why...............................LOL

O_L

Funjunkie74
03-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Nice job dude. Man, I've gotta get back on the water with you guys. Especially when it comes time to hunt the elusive YTs that I still have yet to catch (and also lings for later). Sorry to hear about the shadiness, but glad to hear he didn't get off the hook w/ it.

Jeremy, if you don't use it, it'll turn blue!! :oops:
Snap into gear, get out on the water and bust a line!!

Geez, for a guy who buys a lot of stuff...you never get to use it.
Do you have a shrine of gear that you stare at everyday?!?! Cause I do!! LOL!!! :rofl:

It's your turn to pick an overnight boat. Me and Kev picked out the last one and we came home skunked and pissed. So PM us when you have a choice made...we'll back you up and take pics when you land that first YT!!! Then force you to eat the heart!!! LOL!!

FJ74

p.s. I'll bring the soy sauce...or the korean hot sauce if you prefer. :evil:

jplee3
03-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Jeremy, if you don't use it, it'll turn blue!! :oops:
Snap into gear, get out on the water and bust a line!!

Geez, for a guy who buys a lot of stuff...you never get to use it.
Do you have a shrine of gear that you stare at everyday?!?! Cause I do!! LOL!!! :rofl:

It's your turn to pick an overnight boat. Me and Kev picked out the last one and we came home skunked and pissed. So PM us when you have a choice made...we'll back you up and take pics when you land that first YT!!! Then force you to eat the heart!!! LOL!!

FJ74

p.s. I'll bring the soy sauce...or the korean hot sauce if you prefer. :evil:

sounds good! yes, i need to make use of the shrine. hahahaha. i'm trying to figure out a good trip to get on... and even though i keep talking about it, i *really* want to do a mexico trip (w/ pangas) or even an alaska trip. but of course, an overnighter would be a good place to start too ;)

JapanRon
03-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi K3vin_kim,

Very nice report there and way to go on the fishing. Missed ya at the show .... dang ... taked to funjunkie and a few others. I must have ducked out for a minute.

JapanRon