PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep fish on the boat?

fishfinder
05-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I was wondering all you guys with livewells. where do you keep your trout? I am pretty sure it's illegal to keep the alive in the bait tank. but is this a rule that isn't enforced in the sierras? or do you kill them and put them in the bait tank?
T.O. i know you know this rule. you have live wells on your crestliner.
sorry for the post in the fish report, but it's the only sierra section.

fishntoss
05-11-2007, 02:30 AM
I usually put the fish in the livewell while fishing. Run some fresh water in there every once in awhile to.. well,, keep the fish alive. If I ever actually catch my limit :oops: , then I'd c&r the rest. Or exchange the bigger ones for the smaller ones.. :?: Bass of course I CPR, haven't had a chance at any stripers yet, but, I like the throw em in the ol cooler idea. Basically if I'm gonna keep em, I throw em in the ol livewell til later.

fishfinder
05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
well i did read the dfg rules, and it is illegal to keep trout alive on the boat.

nellkev
05-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Wow I didn't now that. I don't have a live well or boat for that fact. I've had trout on a sringer that lived for hours and even snaged one on a stringer at intake II that we released to live another day. Do you have to kill em before putting em on the stringer too? :?

one_leg
05-12-2007, 11:31 AM
bait collecting in Hat Creek;
(e) No trout may be maintained or possessed in
a live condition in any container on or attached
to any boat;
(f) Except for restrictions

nellkev
05-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Are we talking using your catch for bait here? Maybe I just fell of the truck. Is that why I see people with buckets? I never understood why you would need to keep your catch in a bucket. I like to put my keepers on a stringer in the water so they are fresh for dinner but are you telling me people rig up smaller trout to catch larger ones. If thats the case the next person I see with a bucket better watch out for me cause that buckets getting dumped back in the lake. :twisted:

trouttroller
05-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Some people have used live trout for bass bait, thats why they don't want you to keep them alive.

one_leg
05-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Does it mean a container on or attached to a boat or attached with a stringer over the side? I do not know the answer to that one. I would like to know for sure. I think we would have heard about lots of people being ticketed though if that were the case.

One_Leg

fishfinder
05-12-2007, 07:17 PM
okay i will just let them go to be caught another day, and save the live well for the sacramento perch.

one_leg
05-12-2007, 07:24 PM
okay i will just let them go to be caught another day, and sace the live well for the sacramento perch.

Or give them to me If I come up short!

Troutman65
05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I keep my trout on a stringer thats tied to the boat.