PDA

View Full Version : wooden baits in the salt

Kalicos
03-07-2008, 02:30 PM
how would baits such as the ms slammer, z-plugs or the fish arrow monster jack hold up again say...calicos or yellows? Would the paint and wood crack, the hooks and joints hold up...etc in the saltwater environment? the ms slammer website has pics of stripers caught off the surf with slammers. I will be sealing all my baits in aristocrat sealant.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Kalicos

Ricky-Ray
03-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I've used the freshwater Rapala lures on calico's and it works. You might want to change the hooks to a bit heavier one, I've caught a few big calico's and they bent the treble hook.

The old school single jointed black/silver minnow (sorry don't remember the model number) is a killer on boneheads during the summer when they are on the surface. Don't expect the paint to last a long time when you catching boneheads.

spiceguy
03-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I've used the freshwater Rapala lures on calico's and it works. You might want to change the hooks to a bit heavier one, I've caught a few big calico's and they bent the treble hook.

The old school single jointed black/silver minnow (sorry don't remember the model number) is a killer on boneheads during the summer when they are on the surface. Don't expect the paint to last a long time when you catching boneheads.

You're probably thinking of the REBEL Minnow. I have an old one that was my Dad's hanging on the wall behind my computer, along with a bunch of other old antique lures that I've been thinking about refurbishing. There was a time when all lures were either wood or metal. I have a box full....

Ricky-Ray
03-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Ok, I actually looked it up Rapala's website. It's the original floater. In addition to that one I've used the jointed one and the countdown ones with success on the bass. The X-Rap's work pretty good too.

Ricky-Ray
03-07-2008, 05:07 PM
On a side note, I fished these Rapala's when I was on a private boat, and we were able to get in really close to the kelp line. If I was on a party boat I would not be tossing these in the stern and I'm sure when I'm retrieving the line, I would be retrieving in several other's too. The few times I did use a Rapala on a party boat I was at the bow.

Robert trout hunter
03-08-2008, 08:07 PM

you mean boner:)

StriperKing
03-09-2008, 01:25 AM
how would baits such as the ms slammer, z-plugs or the fish arrow monster jack hold up again say...calicos or yellows? Would the paint and wood crack, the hooks and joints hold up...etc in the saltwater environment? the ms slammer website has pics of stripers caught off the surf with slammers. I will be sealing all my baits in aristocrat sealant.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Kalicos

The new zplugs are saltwater friendly they aren't wood, They are wired from front to back, but they still fish like wood just a lot tougher.

Kalicos
03-10-2008, 02:29 PM
thnx striperking, i think that was the answer i was looking for.