PDA

View Full Version : a little bit of advice needed

xahx
05-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Hello all!

I am heading over to San Clemente early on Saturday morning. I am heading out with my dad and 2 of his coworkers.

We are looking to hook some yellowtails but we have no experience catching them.

We recently bought 2 new poles and reels (almost $400!) with 30 lb test. We also bought 2 metal/aluminum jigs, we plan to use live bait aside from the jigs (anchovy or sardines)

Please help us to have a successful trip with any more input and advice you can offer!

What area to fish of clemente (near coast?) whats the best bait for yellowtails? etc! anyone with any experience please share!

Thanks guys!

If we do well i will surely post some pics when i return on sat afternoon/night

05-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Tady AA's

gnfshn
05-11-2007, 12:43 AM
hours on the water will help. go back to your local saltwater tackle store they should hook you up pretty good. gonna need more than just 2 jigs. live bait can work, no guarantees.

Fish Dog
05-11-2007, 06:59 PM
No help after this post...

http://www.fishingnetwork.net/forum1/vi ... php?t=1582 (http://www.fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=1582)

05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
I met up today with XahX and he is just learning and wants to learn more about fishing as well as DFG rules. He seemed like a good guy that really wants to learn. He came by the shop today and we set him up with everything needed to catch yellows. We'll have to work on his casting some since he hasnt fished a conventional reel yet. As for the DFG questions, he didnt know that they are out on boats and can pop up anytime when fishing at the islands. He thought they just go to the marinas and ticket people from the docks. I'll take this one under my wing and show him the ropes so lets cut him some slack guys.

Steve

EricU
05-11-2007, 09:33 PM
New to fishing the islands? Great that he has all of the set-ups.

Looks like a nice boat
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/78059_main.jpg

...I hope someone does not put the fishing priority over safe boating.

"Catching fish is secondary to safe boating"

"Abiding by the fishing regulations makes you a true angler"

Read the Regs -

"Ignorance is bliss, but it won't save you from the law"

Just my humble opinion.

ghetto dad
05-11-2007, 11:16 PM
I met up today with XahX and he is just learning and wants to learn more about fishing as well as DFG rules. He seemed like a good guy that really wants to learn. He came by the shop today and we set him up with everything needed to catch yellows. We'll have to work on his casting some since he hasnt fished a conventional reel yet. As for the DFG questions, he didnt know that they are out on boats and can pop up anytime when fishing at the islands. He thought they just go to the marinas and ticket people from the docks. I'll take this one under my wing and show him the ropes so lets cut him some slack guys.

Steve

if thats his boat, no wonder youre being so nice to the dude.....youre shady....

Nessie Hunter
05-12-2007, 08:46 AM

Steve

Way to go Steve...

Bringing him and his group into the FNN Family will be a good thing..

They will learn a lot and have some good times...

SAFE & legal is the true path to angling enlightenment .. :lol: :lol:

And the shared info will get them on the best Bite....

05-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Frank,

He has goals so I really want to help especially after hearing that his dad has always wanted to catch a marlin and never had the opportunity. I am kinda making that a goal for me to help. Hopefully they are into some yellowtail this morning with the tips, tackle and maps I provided them.

Steve

Troutman65
05-12-2007, 01:23 PM
NextFishingChamp, Thats Awesome of you to do that. Right On!!!

EricU , When someone buys that sweet boat you have pictured the HOT CHICK comes with it right?