PDA

View Full Version : PVR Camping quaters

SDJHawk
03-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Am thinking about staying in my truck at PVR for the derby. Are there place a person can park their truck to sleep in with a minimal fee? If not, where around Bishop can a person sleep in this truch legally? Vons parking lot etc...
Thanks

fishntoss
03-06-2008, 12:17 AM
There is a campground at the south end of Pleasant Valley...Don't remember how much it costs. It's gonna be cold also...Good luck

sandtrout
03-06-2008, 07:00 PM
I sleep in my van with an air mattress, sleeping bag, etc. This past year i bought a MR HEATER for $80. It worked great and is made to work inside of a vehicle as long as a window is open about 1/2 an inch. It shuts off by itself if there's not enough oxygen. It got down to 18 degrees in Lee Vining. I stayed toasty! But...it doesn't work over 7000 feet and one small cannister of propane only works for 6 hours. I shut the door of my van and fired it up. Knocked out around 10pm. At 12:30am I woke up freezing my @$$ off...realized my 6 hours were up so breathing out fog breath I screwed in another cannister and that was good till 6:30am. Note to self...buy the extra long hose and hook up to a BBQ Propane cannister for over 100 hours of burn time.

Devious 1
03-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Don't even sweat it, there are tons of crazy folks who will make little camp fires and sleep on the rocks at PVR waiting for the sun to come up. Last year we rolled in on our mountain bikes equipped with lights etc. at 3:30am to get to our favorite spot and there were campfires all over the place (especailly near the stocking ramp). My point is you can park either at the top or bottom of the resevoir overnight without worries on Friday (though I am sure that is not the rule of thumb all the time). I'll be up there tubing on Sat. and Sun., good luck!

reelhigh
03-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Just pull down any dirt road you can find and crash out. All winter I sleep in my Expedition when I go skiing in Mammoth and I do the same in the surrounding areas in the summer when I fish. As long as you use your head and don't act a fool you'll be alright, the cops and rangers are normally cool if you're not screwing around.