PDA

View Full Version : Manzanar Fisherman Lecture & Walking Tour April 27 & 28, 2008

Fear No Trout
03-05-2008, 07:18 PM
If you are up in the Eastern Sierra during this season's trout opener. Please try to make my 3rd Annual Lecture and Walking tour "From Barbed Wire to Barbed Hooks"...fishing stories from Manzanar at the Manzanar National Historic Site & Interpretive Center which is located between Lone Pine and Independence California on Hwy 395.

“From Barbed Wire to Barbed Hooks" is all about spirit and freedom. By sneaking out through the barbed wire to match wits with the trout of the Eastern Sierra, the Manzanar fishermen experienced freedom from a unique perspective. Breathing the "free" air beyond fence was a way to cope with being locked up, and fishing provided a chance to do it.

This is an untold story, one that offers new insights into the World War II Internment of the Japanese Americans. The misery is already well-known, as are so many of the political and Constitutional issues. "From Barbed Wire to Barbed Hooks" looks at a more personal side, where individuals took matters into their own hands to lighten the burden of being locked away by doing something "normal." It's a story of defiance and personal courage in the face of barbed wire, guard towers and armed Military Police. It's a story of resourcefulness, where bamboo kendo swords and rake handles were rebuilt into fishing poles. It's a story of the grit and determination it took to fish the alpine lakes for the fabled Golden trout. And it's a story of the humor and friendships that arose in the process.

The Spirit Continues

The annual Lecture and Walking Tour at the Manzanar National Historic Site are ongoing, and the Artifacts Exhibit on display at the Interpretive Center had been viewed by more than 90,000 visitors. The Podcast taking the Walking Tour online is nearing completion, as is the Oral History Archive (with nearly two dozen interviews to date), which will be donated to the California State Library and the Manzanar National Historic Site for use by academics and the public as an historic research database. The Community Outreach program continues to spread the story of the Manzanar fishermen through presentations, seminars and other activities.

The Documentary Film is the last piece of the puzzle. Interviews with internees, MPs, historians and others have already been taped. Vintage photographs and documents have been assembled. Much footage has been shot at the present day Camp and the surrounding waters; but more is needed. The trek to the alpine lakes where the legendary Heihachi Ishikawa fished waits to be filmed, as do other fascinating aspects of the story. Then there will be the editing and final assembly.

We are seeking the support of the business community to help us finish this special project. Corporate Sponsorships can play a vital role by providing the kind of support beyond the means of individuals or non-profit organizations. Tax-deductible Sponsorships will go a long way toward bringing this project to fruition.

Manzanar shut its gates 63 years ago, and a shameful episode of American history ended. The Manzanar fishermen showed that even in the darkest of times, the human spirit can flourish. Help us preserve this inspiring story.

Community Outreach

The ongoing Community Outreach program, started in 2006, has spread the story of the Manzanar fishermen through a series of presentations hosted by various institutions and organizations throughout California. Additional presentations and activities will be held in conjunction with the Manzanar Committee. Once the Documentary Film is completed, screenings will be added to the Outreach program.

Among the presentations conducted to date are:

 On Sept. 17, 2007, I delivered an update on the project at the annual Manzanar High School Reunion in Las Vegas. in which I made an initial presentation the year before.

 The Japanese American National Museum hosted a presentation of the Manzanar fishing story at its National Center for the Preservation of Democracy Sept. 23, 2007. The presentation included a panel discussion that brought together for the first time four internees who snuck out of the Camp to go fishing.

 In October 2007, I was requested by Japan’s Consulate General Kazuo Kodama to make a presentation before special invited guests from the Japanese Business Association following a tour of the Manzanar NHS and an awards banquet in Bakersfield.

 On Feb. 4, 2008, A presentation was made before surviving veterans of the 442nd RCT, 100th Bn and MIS of the Go For Broke National Education Center.

 On Feb. 25, 2008, another presentation was made before the Ventura Co. chapter of the JACL in conjunction with Manzanar NHS Park Ranger Richard Potashin..

###

Please check out the website for updates as the number of internees discovered has grown from just a few names to over 100 since the research started in April 2004.

Please click on the attached thumbnail to view flyer from the National Parks Service.

www.fearnotrout.com

Cory....aka....Fear No Trout

Contact me for further details: Cory@fearnotrout.com

one_leg
03-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Cory, I'm gonna try to make it for the opener this year.

Great job on the display, I can hardly wait to spend more time at the museum. The last time I was only able to check out the inside of the museum. All my time was spent perusing your work. Very Cool.

Thanks a lot,
One_Leg

ZenDragon
03-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Fear No Trout, I must drop by Manzanar this year and see all your work. Much props & respect!...Take care brother,

ZenDragon

Big Country
03-10-2008, 04:41 PM
On top of all of this...Cory is also a hell of a trout fisherman on Crowley.

Hope to see you up there again Cory.

Carrie
04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey there Cory!

Feels like it has been awhile since I have seen you! I haven't gone fishing in about 4 months!! I miss it! Very different living in So Cal....don't like it much. Well I won't be living down here for much longer. I move to Death Valley in about 1.5 weeks. I will be training there to become an interpreter in the National Park Service. This is a long hard journey on my way to becoming a Park Ranger. I will be giving living history tours of Scotty's Castle where I get to dress up and create my own character. DEVA (as Manzanar calls it) is Manzanar's sister park as it seems many things go between these two parks. My connections came from Richard to his wife to the chief of interp! I love how things work!

Manzanar has asked me to volunteer at the Pligrimage. I will be working in Death Valley but I have the 27th off, I think. I will prob be running around there somewhere. Hope to see ya up there and to play with all the staff again! I feel like I have this huge extended family now!!! And of course at some point I will do more fishing.

IncredibleHuck
04-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Cory,

Good luck with your seminar. I wish I could attend it, but I won't be up that way for the opener this year.

Sparky70
04-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Good Luck fishing in DEATH VALLEY !!!!!

Sp70