PDA

View Full Version : sw trolling motor/electronics

Kalicos
03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Just bought a 1997 boston whaler outrage 18' with 1997 yamaha 115 hp. TOTALLY STOKED. Wanted to know what sw trolling motor i should get especially if I wanted to fish boiler rocks. Tidal movement can get extremely rough in those situations. I was looking at motor guide great white. how many lbs of thrust would i need to confidently move my whaler in a boiler rock situation? 82? 109?

Second Question, I hear that the general agreement is that furuno and raymarine are the standard for saltwater electronics. What units wold u guys recommend for socal fishing that is most comprehensive of most inshore and local island areas?

any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Kalicos

seahonk
03-04-2008, 01:59 AM
The first question = get a water proof one,,,,, secound question = buy the most expensive one you can afford lol ,,,,,, j/k
Boat Length in Feet
Pounds of
Thrust Required
12ft 30# 13ft 30# 14ft 32# 15ft 36# 16ft 40# 17ft 50# 18ft 55# 19ft 65# 20ft 74# 21ft 74# 22ft 101#
From bass pro shops ^ but - Many factors fall into the equation when deciding on the necessary power needed for optimum performance. Some common questions to ask yourself are: Is your boat heavy, and what is the length? Do you store a lot of gear, or fish with more than one person? Do you fish in adverse conditions, such as high winds and rough water? The following chart details the minimum amount of thrust required depending on the size of your craft.
This chart is meant to convey "normal fishing conditions." If you answered "yes" to any of the previous questions I posed, moving up to the next level of thrust is highly recommended. If your boat, gear, and passengers are extremely heavy, going to a motor with even more thrust would be your best bet.
Many professionals believe that the best rule of thumb is to buy the biggest motor you can afford, all within reason of course. (A big, overpowering motor can also offer disadvantages if it literally "dwarfs" the size of your boat.) Choose wisely and weigh all of the variables. Running a motor that is under rated for your craft can only lead to misery and headaches when venturing out on the water.

Voltage and Batteries

Electric trolling motors come in three separate power systems: 12, 24, or 36-volts. To make it easier to understand, a 12-volt trolling motor is run off of one, 12-volt deep cycle marine battery. In order for a 24-volt motor to work, it must be run off of two separate batteries, and a 36-volt version requires three.

A 12-volt trolling motor is the most inexpensive and easiest to run. It does, however, lack the staying power and thrust that the other two provide. A 24- or 36-volt system will allow the angler to fish longer periods out on the water, as they draw lower amps while providing increased thrust for more power.

If your boat is 16-foot or smaller, a high-thrust 12-volt model will be adequate for the conditions that you will face. If your boat is any longer, moving up to a 24- or 36-volt system is the only way to go for hassle-free boating.

Be certain not to scrimp and save on the batteries. Buying a high quality, deep-cycle marine battery (some are designed specifically for electric motors) will ensure that you are receiving the maximum power and longevity that is on the market. This will provide piece of mind in case you ever find yourself stranded out on the lake, nursing an overheated or blown outboard motor that just won't fire up!,,,,,,,,,,,,,, fish finder > http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=29701&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1 hope this helps ya .

Tail Chaser
03-18-2008, 07:09 PM
A 9.9 HP kicker may be nice. Probably weighs around 80 lbs.
Do a lot of home work before hanging all that weight off the back of your boat.
Ive read quiet a few post where Small Aux motors really sucked on the back of there bigger boats. The added wt on the transom screws everything up
Saltwater guys love there Furuno fish finders. 600 watt min. The 582L was/is a great unit.
Just about every one raved about Furuno's great cust service on the radars, etc.(I agree)
Cust service at Raymarine really sucks from the post ive read.
On a GPS unit. GARMIN may be the most user friendly. (Guessing there)
But then again, The real boats out there are mostly using Furuno, Then Raymarine

www.consumersmarine.com
No sales tax, Free shipping. I saved over 900.00 on my Furuno stuff over Calif prices.

GeordyBass
03-24-2008, 02:22 PM
If you got the cash,Buy a "Torqeedo" trolling motor....Expensive as hell!But powerful....