PDA

View Full Version : Halibut Drift on the Icon 3/2/2008

Funjunkie74
03-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Okay...so like the true fishing junkie that I am, the Funjunkie and his buddies went out on the Icon for the Annual "Pot Of Gold" Halibut Derby hosted by the Icon and Long Beach Sportfishing.

Although it was rockfish opening weekend, we opted to do the halibut drift in pursuit of the elusive, California Halibut.

Well, long story short...it eluded us today. Although I did manage to land one...it was one...I said ONE inch short!!! ARGH!!! First comment out of everyone's mouths...STEP ON IT!! LOL!!

So, here's the story.
-----------
7:30am Load up and leave the house.
7:40am B20 calls "I just woke up..." GET READY!!!
7:50am Decided to give Kevin a friendly wake-up call...but he was already awake and on his way to getting breakfast.
8:10am I arrive at the landing.
Kevin just parked his car.
B20 was not there yet.
LA Smoker (Bob) was...

8:45am We're on the Icon, setting up. Greeting some OG fishermen, chatting it up with some new faces and looking forward to a day of fishing.
But...where's BOB?

8:55am The boat is getting ready to leave...I call Bob. No answer.
9:00am The boat leaves the dock...no Bob.
9:30~9:40am We arrive a Nachos to find...er...ah...no BAIT?!?! He kept saying "I called...we have no bait..." Capt. Shaun (amazingly) kept calm, p-ssed out of his mind, dealt with it and loaded whatever bait was available.

WE'RE OFF!!

Well B20, if you know, has a slight obsession with breakfast burritos. He fell in love with the breakfast burritos on the Spitfire...and ever since...when we talk about fishing...on a boat...B's talking about the breakfast burrito. So what's the first thing he does?
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/2008/20080302/HPIM1070.jpg
Yep...we're not even out of the HARBOR!!! LOL!! Eat up B, you're gonna need it!

So...for anyone who has endured a Halibut Drift trip knows...it may not be everyone's cup of tea. It's a lot of standing around and nothing happening. Definitely not for the adrenaline junkie!!

Well unfortunately...from here till 5pm...there's nothing much to talk about. We drift, we fish. We drift, we fish. We drift, we fish. We move. We drift, we fish. But pretty much fish only come over the rail every 30 minutes or so and not always a halibut. If I recall correctly, there were about 11 or so hook ups but only 3 keepers. If we weren't on a halibut drift trip, this would be considered the slowest day of fishing!!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/2008/20080302/HPIM1073.jpg

We did, however, get greeted by a beautiful fish...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/2008/20080302/HPIM1074.jpg

Well, my fellow anglers.
This is pretty much the whole story. No excitement. No glory for me or the boyz. But it's fishing and I enjoyed it.

Next week is the Fred Hall Show!
I'll be at the Kencor booth on Friday and Saturday. Stop by and say hi!

FJ74

mg2969
03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the report.
Nice pix.
Sorry about the shortie butt.

Looks like you guys had a nice day to go out.
Obviously the past few days have been pretty damp and cold

Thanx for the invite, had to do the in-law thing

deanhall32
03-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Cool report Joe. Will I see you at the the Fred Hall at Del Mar?

Oz
03-03-2008, 07:36 AM
sucks no butts for you guys...get em next time.

B and his 578076085376 breakfast burritos every trip :roll::lol:

FISH_HUNTER
03-03-2008, 08:00 AM
At Least You Got Bit And Brought Something Over The Rail
That's The Thing About Fishing For Butt's If You Get One
Your The Happiest Guy On The Boat...but If You Don't'
It's A Very Long Day...and The Galley Tab Goes Waaay
Up.

one_leg
03-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Joe, Thanks for the report, man.....FOB didn't make it? FOB = Flakes Often Bob ?

One_Leg

hakaveli
03-03-2008, 09:47 AM
sucks no butts for u

Ricky-Ray
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Sorry for the slow fishing but then again that's halibut fishing. Still looks like a great day to be on the water.

ymin72
03-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Im sure hanging out with good friends more than made up for slow fishing.
Once again, GREAT READ Joe. Thanks bro.

Gmoney
03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
thanks for the post joe
no doubt good friends can make a slow day of fishing that much better

laters
G$

ghetto dad
03-03-2008, 04:43 PM

sansou
03-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Nice post Joe.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Fred Hall....and congrats on gettin' your mug in WON !!! Page 61 !!!

Jikser
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Great read Joe....good times nonetheless.

Funjunkie74
03-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the report.
Nice pix.
Sorry about the shortie butt.

Looks like you guys had a nice day to go out.
Obviously the past few days have been pretty damp and cold

Thanx for the invite, had to do the in-law thing

Anytime you're out fishing is a nice day. It was sunny out but every time I took my sweatshirt off, the chilly air would force me to put it back on....it was COLD! By the end of the day, my nose was running...

If you had a choice: Get skunked or "do the in-law thing", which would you choose?

FJ74

Funjunkie74
03-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Cool report Joe. Will I see you at the the Fred Hall at Del Mar?
Thanx!!
I'm not entirely sure. I have to ask Kencor to see if they even have a booth for Del Mar. If they do, then I may show up for a Saturday or a Sunday.

sucks no butts for you guys...get em next time.

B and his 578076085376 breakfast burritos every trip :roll::lol:
Yeah, we'll get em!! :evil:
Evidently B's obsession has escalated to the point he's making breakfast burritos at home!!

At Least You Got Bit And Brought Something Over The Rail
That's The Thing About Fishing For Butt's If You Get One
Your The Happiest Guy On The Boat...but If You Don't'
It's A Very Long Day...and The Galley Tab Goes Waaay
Up.
Well said FH!!

Joe, Thanks for the report, man.

One_Leg
Thanks for reading it!

sucks no butts for u
Disappointment only adds more motivation to the fire. THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME!!

Sorry for the slow fishing but then again that's halibut fishing. Still looks like a great day to be on the water.
Glad you enjoyed the read. Yes it was fun. I always have fun when I'm out fishing!! :evil:

thanks for the post joe
no doubt good friends can make a slow day of fishing that much better

laters
G$
Yes, it's better than hanging out with the in-laws....oops...sorry Mg, LOL!!!

FJ74

Funjunkie74
03-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Sorry Steve, I don't know how to read morse code...._...._._....._ ..._... thanks for reading!

Nice post Joe.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Fred Hall....and congrats on gettin' your mug in WON !!! Page 61 !!!

LOL!! You saw that?!?! I didn't even know it was going in there!! I'm sitting at my desk at home and almost fell out of my seat!! (Thanks Rich!)

BTW, did you see GhettoDad and his "Costco sized" Sand Bass in WON too?!?!

Great read Joe....good times nonetheless.
Kamustaka!! Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it! See you in MDR on the 30th?

FJ74

one_leg
03-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Ghetto Dad made the papers? No frickin' way!!!Just when you thought you'd seen everything.

One_Leg

ghetto dad
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
thanks for the report joe....the bait situation sucked....i was on another boat sunday.....went ALL the way to the receiver, and NO bait...nice..and what sucks is...they STILL get 15% of the boats grosses for that day....ridiculous..thanks again...

Funjunkie74
03-04-2008, 05:04 PM
thanks for the report joe....the bait situation sucked....i was on another boat sunday.....went ALL the way to the receiver, and NO bait...nice..and what sucks is...they STILL get 15% of the boats grosses for that day....ridiculous..thanks again...

Sounds like the oil embargo by Venezuela. "We won't sell you oil, but please help our people..." Do you have any insight as to what's going on with the bait situation? Or is it just Nachos that's having issues with their supplier?

I've been hearing here and there about the availability of live squid and sardines.
Not to say it's generally wide spread, but there doesn't seem to be major shortage going on.

Or is there? :evil:

FJ74

ghetto dad
03-04-2008, 05:41 PM
ill talk to you about it off the board....its been a problem for us for YEARS.....this situation might be different...i dont know....no excuse...theres tons of bait out in front......

mg2969
03-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Anytime you're out fishing is a nice day. It was sunny out but every time I took my sweatshirt off, the chilly air would force me to put it back on....it was COLD! By the end of the day, my nose was running...

If you had a choice: Get skunked or "do the in-law thing", which would you choose?

FJ74

Get skunked, in the rain, with gale force winds, 10 below

Ok so after all is said and done, wheres Bob ?
or did I miss that somewhere

Funjunkie74
03-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I was wondering when someone was gonna ask "Where's Bob?"

Well...

he...

er...

had fun the night before...

and....

uh...

didn't wake up....

till....

noon.

Oz
03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah, we'll get em!! :evil:
Evidently B's obsession has escalated to the point he's making breakfast burritos at home!!

FJ74

:lol: b and the burritos :roll: we got him hooked on something :rofl:

ghetto dad
03-04-2008, 09:32 PM
thats why his nickname is LA FLAKER.....:)

Funjunkie74
03-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Hey, hey...no name calling.

Unless we're on a boat, fishing and laughing :smile:

LA Smoker
03-05-2008, 02:17 PM
I was wondering when someone was gonna ask "Where's Bob?"

Well...

he...

er...

had fun the night before...

and....

uh...

didn't wake up....

till....

noon.

I posted a reply as to why I flaked before... but its not there... weird... Yeah I flaked again. Got effed up the night before then someone challenged me to COD4 on PS3 so you know I had to smoke them until the wee hours of the morning... funny thing is I woke up @ noon sitting in the same position with the controller still in my hand. LAME-O!

Oz
03-05-2008, 03:29 PM
how sad playing video games over fishing :roll: ::shakes head:::

ghetto dad
03-05-2008, 06:16 PM
I posted a reply as to why I flaked before... but its not there... weird... Yeah I flaked again. Got effed up the night before then someone challenged me to COD4 on PS3 so you know I had to smoke them until the wee hours of the morning... funny thing is I woke up @ noon sitting in the same position with the controller still in my hand. LAME-O!

nice bob...:rofl::rofl:

littletroutchaser
03-29-2008, 03:37 PM
how did that little black sea bass taste?

one_leg
04-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Got effed up the night before then someone challenged me to COD4 on PS3 so you know I had to smoke them until the wee hours of the morning... funny thing is I woke up @ noon sitting in the same position with the controller still in my hand. LAME-O!

A friend of mine well asleep while I was talking to him on the phone.
He woke up the next morning with his phone glued to his face from all the drool.

I hung up after about ten minutes of talking. He wouldn't answer me so I just figured his battery had died.