PDA

View Full Version : Trolling battery advice needed

Sandwalker
03-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Hey guys, I just got a couple of minn kota 40's (Thanks for the tip Ron!) for a couple ODC classic toons I have. Now for the batteries...

I know lots of ppl recommend optima d34m, but they sure are expensive. Has anyone tried Costco's Kirkland AGM marine batteries? They're about $60-$70. for similar specs to optima ($150. at costco). Isn't the idea just to get the battery with the most amp hours with the lightest weight?

thanks for any help!

fleaflicker
03-02-2008, 08:13 AM
I would definitely go AGM aka Sealed Lead Acid, but different from GEL CELL. It has no acid leaks or spills and there is no need for any maintenence other than throwing it on an automatic charger.

Group 22 AGM batteries wiegh in around 40 pounds with 50 AH's. You may even be able to go smaller depending on how much time the motor will actually be running/turned on.

AGM Batteries rock!

Ronira
03-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Hey Sandwalker, glad one of our guys got those motors. I personally use an everstart battery from Wall Mart. It's not as light as the optimas but it has searved me well. I've got a 36 # thrust motor and I use a 115 amp hr battery and I have yet to run out of battery and I've tried. My motor has a 105 amp hr requirement and that's why I chose a 115. If your battery exceeds your motor requirement it will last all day. The everstart I bought at Wall Mart cost me about $65.00 and is two years old and going strong. It weighs a friggin ton but it works very well. As light as the toons your talking about are you better hold on when you light those motors up cause your gonna haul the mail. Good luck with it and hope to see you tooning in soon. Ron

Z-TUNAKILLER
03-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey Sw, I had the Costco kirk batt. used it a few times, weights a ton and only got a little over 3.5 hours of trolling motor use out of it, I returned it for the Optima.

Optima is the way to go, allot less weight and allot more TM time, my :2cents:

Z

FISH ON !