PDA

View Full Version : Not me at Santa Mragarita

BBfish
02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
This was in the local paper today

"Santa Margarita Lake

A largemouth bass that approached the lake record was caught late Tuesday by Creston fisherman Jerry John.

The fish was weighed on a hand-held scale at the Ranger Station and by another angler who had a digital scale. The bass weighed 13 pounds on both scales.

Neither scale is certified. The marina is closed Tuesdays.

The lake record is 12.96 pounds and is held by Mark Masicampo of Oceano. His application was approved Aug. 18, 2006, by the International Game Fish Association as a world record in the flyfishing sivision for 12-pound Tippet class.

Masicampo caught the fish near the marina May 6, 2006.

Fish need to be weighed on a certified scale to be considered for lake record status. Anglers usually weigh their fish at a market and receive a slip certifying the weight.

John reported his fish measured 27 1/2 inches long with a girth of 19 3/4 inches. The catch was made on a Bleeding Shad Rat-LTrap. “I caught the fish near the dam by the two sunken islands,” John said.

He and partner Zachary Abrams, also of Creston, caught 14 bass. “The big fish swallowed the lure and died,” Johns said. “We released the other 13 fish.”

Too bad he caught it on a Tuesday

studlyfisherman
03-03-2008, 12:04 AM
damn! I wanted that fish haha...14 fish is impressive for this time of year and a beast...nice

FishermanStu
03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
you wouldnt even know what 14 fish looks like scott

WARRIORMIKE
03-06-2008, 09:23 AM
is that Rancho Santa Margarita lake in OC

studlyfisherman
03-07-2008, 01:16 PM
stu have u ever caught a bass in your life? Ill answer that...no. and yes its rancho haha

sky
03-07-2008, 01:29 PM
is that Rancho Santa Margarita lake in OC

Santa Margarita Lake

4695 Santa Margarita Lake Road
Santa Margarita, CA 93453

Santa Margarita Lake a superb kayak fishing retreat. I go there once a year in the springtime or early summertime. The lake is stocked from November through April by the county and Department of Fish and Game with 50,000 rainbow trout in the 10 to 12 inch class in the winter and spring. There are also a good population of largemouth bass, striped bass, catfish, crappie and bluegill.

They have several bass tournaments at Santa Margarita Lake.

nellkev
03-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Don't think so. There is a Santa Margarita lake up past San Luis off hwy 101. Why would this report be in the No. Cal fishing reports for a So. Cal lake?

wrondogg
04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Don't think so. There is a Santa Margarita lake up past San Luis off hwy 101. Why would this report be in the No. Cal fishing reports for a So. Cal lake?

I saw a picture of the fish on my friends cell phone. It is Margarita near San Luis Obispo. All of the central coast posts should be in the Northern California section.

DarkShadow
04-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Santa Margarita Lake

4695 Santa Margarita Lake Road
Santa Margarita, CA 93453

Santa Margarita Lake a superb kayak fishing retreat. I go there once a year in the springtime or early summertime. The lake is stocked from November through April by the county and Department of Fish and Game with 50,000 rainbow trout in the 10 to 12 inch class in the winter and spring. There are also a good population of largemouth bass, striped bass, catfish, crappie and bluegill.

They have several bass tournaments at Santa Margarita Lake.

The best part about Margarita?

No pleasure craft allowed. Go jet ski somewhere else.

BBfish
04-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Its a great quiet FISHING lake for sure

wrondogg
04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
They are now doing boat inspections at Santa Margarita for Quagga mussels and are turning away about 50 percent of private boats. If they pull your plug and its damp at all inside, your trailer is wet, or there is any algae lines on the hull of your boat they will not let you in the lake.

sky
04-09-2008, 03:21 AM
As soon as Memorial Day comes - I expect most of the lakes and reservoirs in California controlled by water districts will follow suit and either ban all boats from Southern California or they will inspect all boats and turn a good porportion of them away.