PDA

View Full Version : cal poly ponds

rusty6
02-27-2008, 05:52 PM
for those of you on campus here or have fished the ponds on campus, what works...i don't consider myself a bass fisherman in any way and this is the only fishing i really have, any tips would be appreciated.

Ambassadorhawg
02-27-2008, 07:03 PM
I did OK on the upper pond with jerkbaits and I hear small plastics on dropshot rigs work also. In my opinion, the lower pond does not have enough access to fish it thoroughly. It's clear and that calls for spooky fish. I hear that there can be a good sunfish bite in there, though. The same goes for the upper pond- I have seen it for myself!

But I think it's probably too cool and too early to expect much action up there just yet. Try it in the later half of March- if the warm weather pattern holds up.

rusty6
02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
what kind of plastics, to be honest i am fairly bass inept haha, unless ive got some crawdads

Ambassadorhawg
02-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Try some 4" power worms (greens, browns, shad or black colors) in straight tail if you can find them. Find a tackle shop in town (if there is one?) and ask them to show you how to show how a "dropshot rig" is set up. Use 6 pound fluorocarbon line and use a 1/8th ounce sinker at the bottom of the rig. You can catch fish year round on this rig if you have patience but i still think that you should wait til March.

BBfish
02-28-2008, 01:45 PM
where exactly are the Cal Poly ponds???

BB

Ambassadorhawg
02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Use Google Maps in "satellite" setting to look at an overview of the campus. The ponds are located in the North-West section of the campus near the horse stables and agriculture fields.

WARRIORMIKE
02-28-2008, 06:48 PM
are you guys talking about cal-poly pomona?

Ambassadorhawg
02-28-2008, 06:59 PM
No, Cow Poly SLO!

reckless_m@
02-28-2008, 09:30 PM

I go to cow poly ptown.

Shhhh [the dorm pond] .....no jk. The only bass is the lone guy someone planted in the japanese garden. I would drop off crawlers & dads from work for the lil guy.

BBfish
02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Open fishing to the public there????

How about parking???

Do you go all the way to the horse unit or OH area?

BB

studlyfisherman
02-28-2008, 10:02 PM
there are no fish in the lower pond. its a fact. I hear there are some nice tuna in the upper though haha small robos

rusty6
02-28-2008, 10:25 PM
haha arent you a funny guy

Ambassadorhawg
02-29-2008, 06:43 PM
BBfish,

Yes, drive into the horse area and park. BUT! Be forewarned that the gate up there is locked sometime in the early evening. You could get stuck in there!

Studly,

Yes.... there is indeed some fish in the lower pond. Use nightcrawlers and 4 pound fluorocarbon or forget about it!

FishermanStu
03-04-2008, 07:23 PM
no way the lower pond kills. stop trying to keep people away scott. apperently no one can fish it like us. its a fact if ambassadorhawg says he has a tough time. i guess we have the patterns on that place dialed in.

soe18a49
04-21-2008, 09:12 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I live in SoCal too and was thinking the same thing :confused:!