PDA

View Full Version : Lobster Card Question to CA DFG

HESBROS
02-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I just sent the following message to DFG. I will post the response when I get it.

Hello, I have a question regarding the new Lobster Card requirements.
"Regulations require that prior to beginning fishing activity
the cardholder must record the month, day, location, and gear
code on the first available line on the report card. When the
cardholder moves to another location, or finishes fishing for
the day, he or she must immediately record on the card the
number of lobster kept from that location."
My concern is this. Lobster fishing is not like a single angler using a rod and reel to catch a fish. Hoop netting for lobster is usually a group activity and there is ususally more than one licensed angler on board. The regualtion is written as if it was a single angler sport. The regulations requires that "the card holder records the number of lobster kept from that location". So if there are 3 anglers on board with 3 lobster cards, how is the catch then recorded? We usually will divide the number of lobster caught by the number of anglers on the boat for take home. So, if we had 3 anglers, and kept 6 lobsters, each angler would take home 2. Would we each record 6 or would we each record 2 or would one person record 6? If each angler records 6 then your survey of the lobster fishary will be inaccurate. The regulation is not clear when it comes to this issue. If I missed it, please forgive my ignorance.

This is the Reply:
Sent: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 5:26 pm
Subject: Re: Contact Request -- Hello, I have a question regarding the n

Hello Edward

You only need to record each lobster taken once. If you have three fishermen
and take a total of six. You may record two on each fisherman's report card.

Do not record a lobster on more than once.

Good luck fishing!

Glenn Underwood
Sport Fishing/Waterfowl/Upland Game Program Analyst
Department of Fish and Game
License and Revenue Branch
(916) 928-5841

So I now sent this reply/question.

"Thank You Glenn for your quick response. You have not yet cleared it up for me. Let me rephrase the question.
If I have three people on my boat and we hooping for lobster, and we all have a valid lobster card, are we all required to fill in a line with the month/date/location/gear code? In the example in the first email, I stated three people were on the vessel, and we caught six lobster, who records the catch? You stated we may all fill in that we kept 2. In turn, can one person fill in that they kept six? Thank you for your assistance."

cappo
02-27-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm curious to know what they say, please fill us in when/if they respond.

CoffeaRobusta
02-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Glen....I'd go for accuracy. Not just in the number caught but the amount of effort involved as well. This means accuarcy in the amount of time and people involved as well as the number of lobster caught. If you record one person as taking six and the the other two people as taking zero (remember you have to record a line anytime you fish for lobster even if you don't catch anything), this isn't the most accurate accounting of your trip. If the three of you catch six lobster, I would record it as two per person.

Effort information is just as important to fishery biologists as catch information. It allows them to determine catch-per-unit-effort (CPUE). That is, how much time or people is spent catching some amount of fish. See overall catch could stay the same but the effort involved could increase. This can have several implications, like there are less lobsters out there or they are harder to find. If effort increases but catch doesn't this could also mean people are having a less satifsfactory experience.

Anyway, let me know how they respond. I'm curious.

I just sent the following message to DFG. I will post the response when I get it.

Hello, I have a question regarding the new Lobster Card requirements.
"Regulations require that prior to beginning fishing activity
the cardholder must record the month, day, location, and gear
code on the first available line on the report card. When the
cardholder moves to another location, or finishes fishing for
the day, he or she must immediately record on the card the
number of lobster kept from that location."
My concern is this. Lobster fishing is not like a single angler using a rod and reel to catch a fish. Hoop netting for lobster is usually a group activity and there is ususally more than one licensed angler on board. The regualtion is written as if it was a single angler sport. The regulations requires that "the card holder records the number of lobster kept from that location". So if there are 3 anglers on board with 3 lobster cards, how is the catch then recorded? We usually will divide the number of lobster caught by the number of anglers on the boat for take home. So, if we had 3 anglers, and kept 6 lobsters, each angler would take home 2. Would we each record 6 or would we each record 2 or would one person record 6? If each angler records 6 then your survey of the lobster fishary will be inaccurate. The regulation is not clear when it comes to this issue. If I missed it, please forgive my ignorance.

This is the Reply:
Sent: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 5:26 pm
Subject: Re: Contact Request -- Hello, I have a question regarding the n

Hello Edward

You only need to record each lobster taken once. If you have three fishermen
and take a total of six. You may record two on each fisherman's report card.

Do not record a lobster on more than once.

Good luck fishing!

Glenn Underwood
Sport Fishing/Waterfowl/Upland Game Program Analyst
Department of Fish and Game
License and Revenue Branch
(916) 928-5841

So I now sent this reply/question.

"Thank You Glenn for your quick response. You have not yet cleared it up for me. Let me rephrase the question.
If I have three people on my boat and we hooping for lobster, and we all have a valid lobster card, are we all required to fill in a line with the month/date/location/gear code? In the example in the first email, I stated three people were on the vessel, and we caught six lobster, who records the catch? You stated we may all fill in that we kept 2. In turn, can one person fill in that they kept six? Thank you for your assistance."

rockbass
03-27-2008, 08:24 PM
imo, the best way to approach this is to have a 'PRIMARY' fisherman; one that owns the boat, or one who is the most organized, or maybe even just the one who didn't buy the beer- make that 'one point of contact' be the primary recorder for the trip- if the legal limit is reached for that recorder on that trip, then you can open up a second card, and begin recording anew. This will keep the reports from becoming redundant, and make things easier. Just make sure that the responsibility is understood BEFORE getting underway! The way I read it, if two or three fishermen are teaming up to fish, the DFG is looking for a team report, rather than multiple accounts of the trip's activities....?

reefman47
03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
In trying to understand the lobster report card better, I need to first clear up some things...

When hooping, does everyone on the vessel need a "fishing license"? What if I have 4 guys on the boat, but only 2 of us will be physically pulling up hoops? Do the other 2 guys still need a fishing license even though they are just along for the ride?

And how would this apply for the report card? Again, would everyone on the vessel need the card? Even my wife who is up at the bow sleeping and would never pull a hoop?

rockbass
04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
The way I read the regs (and I'm not an expert at it, so it's my opinion), if you have two licensed fishermen hoopnetting, you can attain two limits- Passengers along for the ride can not help pull nets, or bait nets, etc.

If this is true, then only the licensed anglers would need the lobster report cards.

Other opinions? Facts???