PDA

View Full Version : Question: Are "CrabHawks" legal on the West Coast?

ZenDragon
02-24-2008, 03:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any imformation on the legalities of using the castable "Crabhawk" on the West Coast? I own one and have used it before with great success, but have stopped since hearing rumors of gloom & doom! It might not be legal! It's not worth a ticket & fine just for being ignorant of the law. Anybody got an answer?

Thnx,
ZenDragon

CoffeaRobusta
02-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Here's the rules outta the reg book:
Crustaceans
29.80. Gear Restrictions.
(a) General Provisions:

(1) Saltwater crustaceans may be taken by hand.
(2) Nets, traps or other appliances may not be used except as provided in this Section.
(3) It is unlawful to disturb, move, or damage any trap, or remove any saltwater crustacean from a trap, that belongs to another person without written permission in possession from the owner of the trap.
(b) Baited hoop nets may be used to take spiny lobsters and all species of crabs. BetweenPoint Arguello, Santa Barbara County, and the United States-Mexico border, not more than five baited hoop nets may be fished by a person to take spiny lobster and crab, not to exceed a total of 10 baited hoop nets fished from any vessel.
(c) Crab traps shall have at least two rigid circular openings of not less than four and onequarter inches inside diameter so constructed that the lowest portion of each opening is no lower than five inches from the top of the trap.
(d) Crab loop traps may have up to six loops.
(e) Crab trap areas: Crab traps, including crab loop traps, may be used north of Point Arguello to take all species of crabs (see regulations for take of Dungeness crabs in traps from commercial passenger fishing vessels in Section 29.85, Title 14, CCR).

So crabs can only be taken by hand, and hoop net in all waters. Crab traps and crab loop traps can only be used north of Pt Arguello. Your Crabhawk is something of a cross between the castable crab loop trap and a hoop net. So my short answer is I don't know. Personally, I think the crabhawk is more like a hoop net than a trap, but it might be best to check with a warden. Call them. 562-342-7100

ZenDragon
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Thnx CoffeaRobusta, Your time & efforts are greatly appreciated brother!

ZenDragon