PDA

View Full Version : I must be NUTS - Fishing in High Surf & Rain Sunday 2/24.

Wingnut
02-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Well, I made up my mind beginning of the week that I was going to go surf fishing this weekend no matter what. Haven't hit the surf in a couple of weeks, had some fires to put out at work. Rain or shine, low or high water, small or montrous swells... I'm going! So waking up this morning to gloomy conditions but no rain, I packed up my gear and headed for the North Malibu surf.

I was greeted with massive swells and turbulent surf conditions. Spent most of the day keeping my eyes on the swells, dodging neck high surf and fighting strong rip currents that almost took my wader booties off my feet on a couple of occasions. Surprisingly, the water was relatively clear and have very little salad.

Way too rough to throw any kind of LC's so I started tossing the 5/8 Green/Mack Krocodile. Dragging & bumping it off the bottom. Caught three BSPs in the first hour and a 18 inch Halibut just as the sun was breaking through the dark shies at around 9:30am. There were brief periods of sunshine in between the menacing cloud cover.

Decided to drive up PCH to the North Zuma area and spend my last couple of hours there. More of the same rough surf conditions. Continued to work the Kroc and caught a few more Perches and two small Yellow Fin Croakers on the old school spoon. The last hour, I switched over to the Gulp CSW and the bite went nuts, started throwing back one Perch after another. They love this turbulent surf, doesn't seem to bother them at all. Managed to get a bigger YFC on the CSW, I thought a had a monster Perch for a moment.

Met City Dad out there, the only other fisherman I saw all day... die hards, yes we are. He caught his personal best BSP... looked like about a 12 incher... Nice job Tim! We chatted for a bit and then worked the shoreline in opposite directions. Then the sky got ugly and the rain came down. First a steady sprinkle and then a heavy downpour. Soaked but already had my fix of surf fishing for the week, I packed up and headed for home just in time for lunch. Halibut... Perches... Croakers... not a bad morning of fishing under tough conditions.

Dealing with the rough stuff all morning. Some swells were well over 8 feet high!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture008-11.jpg

Dragging the Kroc nabbed this lonely Halibut and a couple of YFCs.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture006-5.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture001-14.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture002-12.jpg

The Gulp CSW put the bite into overdrive. Got another chunky YFC and a dozen or so Walleye & Barred Surf Perch in the final hour.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture003-12.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/P1000642-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture009-10.jpg

Here comes the rain... time to go home.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture005-11.jpg

My first report on this new & improve board... where's the smilies?!?

Take care everybody... have yourself a great coming week!

"A friend is someone who comes in... when the world has gone out."

yacker
02-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Not bad for the tough conditions and braving the weather, you are a die hard- good work!

sansou
02-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Outstanding!

Halibut on the kroc....the old school way as it was done by our forefathers! Ha ha!!

Good job braving the elements! It's been raining all day here in SD.

City Dad
02-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Nice work! I gotta get me one of them croakers!

Beeracuda211
02-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Here's your smiley :) lol

Baseballer44
02-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Thats one sandy butt! Great job Wingnut.

bullets_full
02-24-2008, 06:21 PM
You are hardcore bro. Nice job and congrats!

-BULLETS

saltman
02-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Wingnut,

SOME PEOPLE SAY IT IS TO DO WITH LUCK , I SAY IT IS EXPERIENCE.

WELL DONE..

SALTMAN

tacklejunkie
02-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Excellent work Wingnut! Fat croakers!
I wanted to get to the beach today but had to stay local in the creek. Still went out and braved the conditions regardless! ;)

WOKIEE
02-24-2008, 08:44 PM
great job you never fail to amaze us thanks for the post you give us hope lol... WOKIEE

CoffeaRobusta
02-24-2008, 09:41 PM
That's awesome wingnut. Way to go hitting the surf in those poor conditions.

the1astmohican
02-24-2008, 09:48 PM
nice job as usual!

blackwater
02-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Tough conditions! Good job out there... :appl:
Make sure that you watch out for those rogue waves... :rain:

CAPT'N
02-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Arthur,

great job in tough conditions!

Congrats on another Butt !

Scott

fishincrave
02-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Dude you are nuts braving the big swells but nice fish anyway lol

Cangler
02-25-2008, 06:57 AM
Those YFC's put up a great fight ... i love 'em ...

bchbum54
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
man is that your new DC i see laying on the sand, must be a brave man. I would try to keap that thing as clean and sand free as possible if i could even afford to get one.

Its always fun reading your reports, makes me want to hit the beach instead of the harbor.

Skyler
02-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Very nice. A Butt on the spoon, huh? I tryed a 3/4 oz kastmaster most of saturday, but only caught perch on it. Switched to the sandworms and caught a halibut. backwards day I guess.

Granny Fish
02-25-2008, 06:34 PM
I really like the picture of the turbulent surf. Looks like you caught some fatties.

PONTOON
02-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Arthur, you are hardcore buddy!

I knew that if you left the party early the was a good reason and a little foul weather wouldn't stop you.:thumb::thumb:

Fisherman57
02-25-2008, 07:55 PM
So.... I leave the party Saturday night.... no wait, SUNDAY morning....... and it's pouring rain on the way home...... and Im thinking, I KNOW that Arthur will be up in a few hours and heading out to hit the surf.... even though he was at the same party a few hours ago! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You are HARDCORE my man!.....

Getting a legal Hali to hit a Kroc has now become an obsession with me..... Ive had 3 or 4 (all shorts) .... but have yet to score a legal this year on a spoon..

Nice job out there Arthur!...... please sign me up for the Hali seminar Im sure you'll be hosting at the Fred Hall show in 2009!

Dana

Z-TUNAKILLER
02-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey Now WN, NICE .. pics, report & fish :thumb: :thumb:

Z

FISH ON !

Wingnut
02-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Yacker wrote: Not bad for the tough conditions and braving the weather, you are a die hard, good work!
Wingnut's response: I usually stay home in these conditions, but I was having surf fishing withdrawals.

Sansou wrote: Outstanding!
Halibut on the kroc....the old school way as it was done by our forefathers! Ha ha!!
Good job braving the elements! It's been raining all day here in SD.
Wingnut's response: I have better luck with the Krocs over the Kastmasters for some reason. Caught two legals with the 5/8 Krocs and a whole bunch of shorties so far.

City Dad wrote: Nice work! I gotta get me one of them croakers!
Wingnut's response: I'm really surprised that you haven't hooked up to one already Tim. They take CSW readily. It would be a blast to catch one on your fly rod.

Beeracuda wrote: Here's your smiley, lol
Wingnut's response: I found them Mike... I figured it out.

Baseballer44 wrote: Thats one sandy butt! Great job Wingnut.
Wingnut's response: Looked like it's all breaded & ready for the frying pan.

Bullets Full wrote: You are hardcore bro. Nice job and congrats!
Wingnut's response: Gotta be a little daring once in awhile. Nice seeing you at Stubrik's buddy. I hope that kiss with Trolly wasn't a wet one!

Saltman wrote: SOME PEOPLE SAY IT IS TO DO WITH LUCK , I SAY IT IS EXPERIENCE.
WELL DONE..
Wingnut's response: Trust me... it's mostly luck. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Tacklejunkie wrote: Excellent work Wingnut! Fat croakers!
I wanted to get to the beach today but had to stay local in the creek. Still went out and braved the conditions regardless!
Wingnut's response: Thanks Casey, great stream report. I like your new avatar by the way.

Wookie wrote: Great job you never fail to amaze us thanks for the post you give us hope lol... WOKIEE
Wingnut's response: Anybody can do it Wookie. Just go out there... you'll be surprise of the results if you give it an honest effort.

CoffeaRobusta wrote: That's awesome Wingnut. Way to go hitting the surf in those poor conditions.
Wingnut's response: The conditions was tough, but today, the day after, was even worse. I was watching the news and there were swells up to 15 feet! Yikes!

The1astmohican wrote: Nice job as usual!
Wingnut's response: Thank you, business as usual!

Blackwater wrote: Tough conditions! Good job out there...
Make sure that you watch out for those rogue waves...
Wingnut's response: Ha ha buddy! You don't have to remind me of the rogue waves. I still remember a few months back when I was a surf fishing newbie getting hit with one that turned me upside down. I also remember how instead of coming to help me, you were rolling on the sand laughing your ***** off... what a pal!

CAPT'N wrote: Arthur,
great job in tough conditions!
Congrats on another Butt !
Wingnut's response: Thanks Scott, if I don't nab a Hali whenever I hit the surf, I feel like the trip was somehow incomplete.

Fishincrave wrote: Dude you are nuts braving the big swells but nice fish anyway lol.
Wingnut's response: It wasn't really that dangerous. You just got to pay close attention to the developing swells and retreat accordingly. When you don't take the conditions seriously and not pay attention... that's when you can get yourself in trouble.

Cangler wrote: Those YFC's put up a great fight ... i love 'em ...
Wingnut's response: Pound for pound, they are one of the best fighting surf fish. I caught a 22 inch YFC a couple of months ago and it felt like a runaway freight train.

Bchbum54 wrote: Man is that your new DC i see laying on the sand, must be a brave man. I would try to keep that thing as clean and sand free as possible if i could even afford to get one.
Its always fun reading your reports, makes me want to hit the beach instead of the harbor.
Wingnut's response: No worries man... I have a couple of spares... ha ha. I know, everybody tells me that I'm so bad with my gear.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture-8.jpg

Skyler wrote: Very nice. A Butt on the spoon, huh? I tryed a 3/4 oz kastmaster most of saturday, but only caught perch on it. Switched to the sandworms and caught a halibut. backwards day I guess.
Wingnut's response: The Krocodile spoon is one of the best lures to use in the surf. In rough surf conditions it's my go to lure. It stays near the bottom when you work it slow right in the strike zone of most surf fish.

Grannyfish wrote: I really like the picture of the turbulent surf. Looks like you caught some fatties.
Wingnut's response: GF, here's a pic that I think you would like. The water droplets are suspended in time... It's during a sunrise at one of my favorite spots. On top of "Wingnut's Rock"... Dana knows where it is, but he's sworn to secrecy... ha ha.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture001-11.jpg

Pontoon wrote: Arthur, you are hardcore buddy!
I knew that if you left the party early the was a good reason and a little foul weather wouldn't stop you.
Wingnut's response: Yeah Terry, I'm getting brave in my old age. Needed to get some sleep... I knew I had to fight the surf the next morning. It was nice talking to ya at the party. BTW - I'm glad to hear that your girl is okay, thank God.

Fisherman57 wrote: So.... I leave the party Saturday nigh.... no wait, SUNDAY morning....... and it's pouring rain on the way home...... and Im thinking, I KNOW that Arthur will be up in a few hours and heading out to hit the surf.... even though he was at the same party a few hours ago! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You are HARDCORE my man!.....
Getting a legal Hali to hit a Kroc has now become an obsession with me..... Ive had 3 or 4 (all shorts) .... but have yet to score a legal this year on a spoon..
Nice job out there Arthur!...... please sign me up for the Hali seminar Im sure you'll be hosting at the Fred Hall show in 2009!
Wingnut's response: Dana... trust me, you haven't really seen me party yet. I still got a little bit of college fraternity wild side left in me. I definitely don't feel or act my age.
As for getting a legal on the Kroc... it's just a matter of time my friend. Maybe we'll both get one on our Carpinteria trip.
The only seminar that I will be hosting at the FH Show is called "Luck Fishing 101". You know how I fish buddy... by the seat of my waders and with my hair on fire.
BTW - I still owe you dinner... ha ha.

Z-Tunakiller wrote: Hey Now WN, NICE .. pics, report & fish.
Wingnut's response: Thanks Z... fish on buddy!

Fisherman57
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
On top of "Wingnut's Rock"... Dana knows where it is, but he's sworn to secrecy...

Dana... trust me, you haven't really seen me party yet. I still got a little bit of college fraternity wild side left in me. I definitely don't feel or act my age.
As for getting a legal on the Kroc... it's just a matter of time my friend. Maybe we'll both get one on our Carpinteria trip.

The only seminar that I will be hosting at the FH Show is called "Luck Fishing 101". You know how I fish buddy... by the seat of my waders and with my hair on fire.
BTW - I still owe you dinner... ha ha.

The funny thing is, the first time I ever fished there I plugged that rock's coordinates into my GPS and it came up as "Wingnut's Rock"... now wherever I go..... it's "Wingnut's Beach".... "Wingnut's Cove".... "Wingnut's Jetty"..... is there any place along the coast you DONT catch fish Art? LOL! :)

All the way down there saturday night, I'm telling "D" that: "We gotta hurry up and get there because I owe Wingnut a steak dinner"..... then we get there and YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY? LOL!...

Trolly tried to send us to some BBQ place he knew in Fullerton..... when we went by the place, it was some dude with a hibachi cooking outta the trunk of his Yugo...

I got ya a gift certificate for Ruth Chris steakhouse Arthur!........ ya think $20.00 bucks will be enough? LOL! J/K!

I have you covered next time buddy!...... and G-Fish, you & Mike need to give that new boat a weekend off and get out surf fishing with us!

Wingnut
02-25-2008, 11:51 PM
That's too funny Dana! My first legal Hali was caught off that rock. I remember sending you a PM with pics of the spot and being the surf fishing veteran that you are, you knew exactly where that was. :thumb:

LOL... I swear I must have saved a Mermaid in my past life or something to be blessed with such good fortune. :mrgreen:

You don't owe me anything buddy... not even dinner, remember that friends don't keep score.

Your new girl is a sweetheart! So easy to talk to... well done buddy, but I have a hard time figuring out who's the lucky one, you or her? Maybe both I'm sure! :wink:

I heard that the place you went to for dinner had some live folk music... yay! That's all I have to say about that... ha ha.

That would be fun Dana... a few of us getting together on a Sunday... hanging out at the beach and doing some surf fishing... nice. :group:

ymin72
02-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Good job out there, WN.
Remember the saying, " NO BALLS, NO GLORY."
See you out there sometime.

KILLA
02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Good job out there. That hali is nice size. What pound test you throwin?

Killa

Brian_GSC
02-26-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm a little late on this one....

Congrats Arthur on braving the conditions and getting some action. I haven't been out fishing in a few months...I would gladly fish in the rain!

Skyler
02-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Skyler wrote: Very nice. A Butt on the spoon, huh? I tryed a 3/4 oz kastmaster most of saturday, but only caught perch on it. Switched to the sandworms and caught a halibut. backwards day I guess.
Wingnut's response: The Krocodile spoon is one of the best lures to use in the surf. In rough surf conditions it's my go to lure. It stays near the bottom when you work it slow right in the strike zone of most surf fish.

Yeah, I like the action of the Kroc better. What size do you usually use, and what pound test? Do you add weight? And mainly, how far can you cast it? I tryed a kroc on saturday, I'd say about 3/8ths-1/2, but I just couldn't get it to cast far enough on my 7 foot medium with 8 pound cxx. I'd say I maxed a bit short of 50 yards. The 3/4 Kastmaster on the other hand had some hang time. I was getting 75 yards sidearm, lol. Any suggeestions on getting the kroc out there? I also have a 9 foot medium light with 4 pound. Not sure I'd be able to land a big halibut on it though.

Wingnut
02-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Ymin72 wrote: Good job out there, WN.
Remember the saying, " NO BALLS, NO GLORY."
See you out there sometime.
Wingnut's response: Oh yeahhh! I agree with that. :bigsmile:

KILLA wrote: Good job out there. That hali is nice size. What pound test you throwin?
Wingnut's response: 10lb Halo P-Line.

Brian_GSC wrote: I'm a little late on this one....
Congrats Arthur on braving the conditions and getting some action. I haven't been out fishing in a few months...I would gladly fish in the rain!
Wingnut's response: Hey Brian, I'd gladly give up a few fishing trips for a beautiful child any day... I'm looking forward to that someday. I bet you're looking forward to wet a line again, my fellow Republican. ;)

Skyler wrote: Yeah, I like the action of the Kroc better. What size do you usually use, and what pound test? Do you add weight? And mainly, how far can you cast it? I tryed a kroc on saturday, I'd say about 3/8ths-1/2, but I just couldn't get it to cast far enough on my 7 foot medium with 8 pound cxx. I'd say I maxed a bit short of 50 yards. The 3/4 Kastmaster on the other hand had some hang time. I was getting 75 yards sidearm, lol. Any suggeestions on getting the kroc out there? I also have a 9 foot medium light with 4 pound. Not sure I'd be able to land a big halibut on it though.
I use the 5/8 Kroc in the Green/Mackerel pattern. Tie it on straight with 10lb test, no weight. I get it out there pretty far on my baitcater and 7'2" rod (try to get a parabolic rod when targeting Halibut, Sinjin the Halibut Jedi told me that a little while back, very good tip). Make sure that you work that Kroc slow... bumping & dragging in the sand just off the bottom. Swing at anything that feels funny. 4lb test is a little too light for me, maybe good for Perch. A legal size Hali will rock your world on 4lb test. Remember that you also have to fight the current & surf as well as the fish. When using CSW for Perch I use #6 or #8. For smaller lures like Krocodiles, Kastmasters & LC 95MR I use #10. For the LC 110 I use #12 or #14... hate to lose those, and you'll be glad when that big Hali comes thumping. Plus with reaction bait it doesn't really matter anyways. Good luck out there! :cool:

Granny Fish
02-26-2008, 02:52 PM
G-Fish, you & Mike need to give that new boat a weekend off and get out surf fishing with us!

That sounds like a great idea. Just name the time and place. We won't have Saturday's off for a while.

one_leg
02-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Great job in challenging conditions!

O_L

blackwater
02-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Wingnut's response: Ha ha buddy! You don't have to remind me of the rogue waves. I still remember a few months back when I was a surf fishing newbie getting hit with one that turned me upside down. I also remember how instead of coming to help me, you were rolling on the sand laughing your ***** off... what a pal!

What are you talking about... I laughed my *** off? I spent over 1/2 hour helping you look for your fishing rig... Wingnuts legs straight up in the air as the surf crests over him... PRICELESS
There's going to be a REAL HAPPY angler out there who finds your $500 rig in shallows.
BW

Native Gal
02-26-2008, 11:01 PM
WN,
XLNT
Love the pixs.

NG

Wingnut
02-27-2008, 10:18 AM

What are you talking about... I laughed my *** off? I spent over 1/2 hour helping you look for your fishing rig... Wingnuts legs straight up in the air as the surf crests over him... PRICELESS
There's going to be a REAL HAPPY angler out there who finds your $500 rig in shallows.
BW

I'll never forget that day Phuong. That was an expensive lesson for sure. But it taught me never to underestimate the ocean and to always be aware of the conditions out there. Lesson well learned. Funny, when I posted the report I didn't even mention the lost rig. I held onto the one in my hand when I got hit by the wave, but the one in my 3rd Grip holster was gone. Some lucky beachcomber got him or herself a nice Luna/Loomis set up. Oh well, material things can always be replaced... and I'm still here. ;) :mrgreen:

mrjonez
02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
i love fishing in the rain. it's salty.

DiskoCrisco
02-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Congrats man. looks like you're the only one pulling out fish... again. Keep up the good work. (that butt does look delicious like that)

Wingnut
03-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Granny Fish wrote: That sounds like a great idea. Just name the time and place. We won't have Saturday's off for a while.
Let's do it on a Sunday! :D

One_Leg wrote: Great job in challenging conditions!
Alan, stop snagging other boats while trolling and start surf fishing! :mrgreen:

Mleegal wrote:
WN,
XLNT
Love the pixs.
NG
Just got myself a 12 mega-pixel camera... the pix are amazing! :cool:

MrJonez wrote: I love fishing in the rain. it's salty.
I don't prefer to fish in the rain... but rain has never kept me away from fishing... when the urge is strong. ;)

DiskoCrisco wrote: Congrats man. looks like you're the only one pulling out fish... again. Keep up the good work. (that butt does look delicious like that)
I haven't kept any of the legal Flatties that I've caught yet... but the next legal might not be so lucky. :twisted:

I'm off to kill some Stripers at Castaic tomorrow with Uncle Bob. ;)

Hog Caller
03-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Great job toughing it out, hardcore fishing shows your dedication. Hope to see you out there one day.

H/C

CASTAWAY
03-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Way to get it done brave one.:D Can't see your catches right now but very good report...:thumb:

I got to get out there to the
salt sometime. Maybe tomorrow, somewhere in Newport.
Yes, the Jetty in Newport tomorrw it is. Throw some
artificials. I wonder if I will catch anything.:???:

FishNFurious
03-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Damn buddy, your reports are everywhere!
Don't tell me you use all those Shimano DCs... three of them?
You must own some Shimano stocks. :lol:
Rain or shine, you seem to have this surf thing figured out. :thumb: