PDA

View Full Version : The Bonito myth...

DVL_Local
05-09-2007, 09:04 PM
...that it taste bad and it's best used as bait. It's very simple to grill and it really does taste great in tacos or by its self.

Remove bloodline and cut into 4� pieces
Roll in olive oil
Season with simple store bought Cajun seasoning.
Sprinkle on some garlic power
Pour on a little lemon juice
Cover and put in refrigerator for 30min

Get grill ready…
Spray “PAM� on a sheet of tinfoil and lay across grill on low heat
Add fish to grill as soon as Pam starts to bubble on foil.
Cook till brown and flaky
Pour on lemon juice as it's cooking from time to time.

Tonight's dinner!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/dvl_local/bonita_cooked.jpg

DVL_Local 8)

one_leg
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I would have thought you would have started with the Yellow or the Ling.
Thanks for giving me an idea :idea:

It looks great.

rusty6
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
i myself barbeque it drenched in teryaki and eat it over rice...mmmmmm. i also made the mistake of trying to make ceviche out of it...tasted good but had an odd texture, the meat was too soft.

n1ckxlam
05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
it is similar to albacore, which is why sushi places sear the outside to make it cuttable. its too soft otherwise.
i know DH's that vouch that it is their favorite
good bbqing w. salt, then just sprinkle with soy sauce and lemon juice

Nick

Funjunkie74
05-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Bonito is great fish! The Japanese name is KATSUO (KA-TSU-O).

The searing of the outside is not to make it cuttable, but that is actually a method of cooking. It's called TATAKI.

In Japan, katsuo is served either way, completely raw (sashimi), tataki or prepared-dried-then flaked (katsuo-bushi).
When served as sashimi or tataki, the common way is not wasabi, but actually grated ginger root (suri-shouga) and soy sauce. Mmmmm....
Katsuo-bushi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsuobushi) is most commonly used as a base for broths for noodles (udon and soba) and soups. The flakes are also used to top off some other dishes, like a Japanese pancake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki).

If you are having problems cutting the katsuo, then it's time to break out the honing stone and sharpen that knife!! Or you forgot to bleed the fish!!

When you catch bonito, absolutely make sure to bleed the fish by cutting the artery by the gills and a cut at the base of the tail fin (I just cut the tail off). The meat of the bonito will taint with the blood and make to be a very mushy, very fishy and not so great. And if possible, put on ice as soon as possible. (I know, on cattleboats the best you can do is a gunny sack! Oh well.) I keep the cooler in my car, stop by a 7-11 and buy a bag of ice on the way home.

SanDimasLMB
05-09-2007, 11:29 PM
like Funjunkie74 said Tataki is a great way to eat bonito. another way is just straight off sashimi. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm *drools* you can leave the blood if you wish, but i like the blood. just some Ponzu dipping sauce, diced green onions, and a squeeze of lime/lemon juice is PERFECT.

n1ckxlam
05-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Bonito is great fish! The Japanese name is KATSUO (KA-TSU-O).

The searing of the outside is not to make it cuttable, but that is actually a method of cooking. It's called TATAKI.

In Japan, katsuo is served either way, completely raw (sashimi), tataki or prepared-dried-then flaked (katsuo-bushi).
When served as sashimi or tataki, the common way is not wasabi, but actually grated ginger root (suri-shouga) and soy sauce. Mmmmm....
Katsuo-bushi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsuobushi) is most commonly used as a base for broths for noodles (udon and soba) and soups. The flakes are also used to top off some other dishes, like a Japanese pancake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki).

If you are having problems cutting the katsuo, then it's time to break out the honing stone and sharpen that knife!! Or you forgot to bleed the fish!!

When you catch bonito, absolutely make sure to bleed the fish by cutting the artery by the gills and a cut at the base of the tail fin (I just cut the tail off). The meat of the bonito will taint with the blood and make to be a very mushy, very fishy and not so great. And if possible, put on ice as soon as possible. (I know, on cattleboats the best you can do is a gunny sack! Oh well.) I keep the cooler in my car, stop by a 7-11 and buy a bag of ice on the way home.

mmm... hungry

sansou
05-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Dang.... I usually throw them guys back or trade them for other fish! (primarily cause I don't know any better :oops: )

Thanks for all the good info here!

San Felipe Bob
05-10-2007, 08:45 AM
I like my bones smoked.

Yummmmmm....

SFB

cappo
05-10-2007, 12:10 PM
bonito sashimi is the bomb if taken well care of.

DavidE
05-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Awesome thread!! Gives me some ideas for the bones I'm gonna catch his weekend!!!

Peace

mudshark
05-10-2007, 11:19 PM
I love sushi, would love to try bonito but dont recall ever seing it on the menu at the places I go to, does any place serve it?

Funjunkie74
05-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Where do you usually go to?
They're everywhere!