PDA

View Full Version : Collecting sandcrabs

tacklejunkie
02-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I remember when I was young collecting sand crabs off of Pt Magu on the beach near the big rock.
From what I remember, I would just stick my hand under the sand and wait for a wave. The crabs would dig down and hit my hand. Either that, or I dug down under their hole, scoop the lot of sand up and dig them out.

I've tried a few times now recently to get sandcrabs but have failed each time. I see the big holes from the crabs digging but (I think) but I dig down there and don't get any crabs. I even found a garbage can lid and burried it. Waited for a wave and the holes to appear over it then went through all the sand in the lid and no crabs.

How do you catch those things? I haven't done it for years and forgot! :P Are they seasonal or what? Are those holes I keep seeing the crab holes?

vanillagurilla
02-18-2008, 07:45 PM
the wholes or "bubbles" you point out is the water being absorbed into the sand. what you want to look for is a "V" shape when the water recedes back down. lots of times there shells but when you see one thats no shell its a crab. when you find lots together its a bed with lots of crabs. good luck.

tacklejunkie
02-18-2008, 07:58 PM
I was just reading some thing about them saying they are like 1"-2" long!
I remember them being about 1/4-1/2" in size?
Man that's weird, I can't remember exactly what I did to get them. That was so long ago.
Are they around all year? I haven't seen any shells around anywhere.

vanillagurilla
02-18-2008, 08:01 PM
i meant shells in the sand make the same V as the water recedes. sand crabs can get 1-2" i guess. biggest ive seen down here is about 1".

sansou
02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
TJ,

You can buy an actual rake designed for them, but I personally think it is a bit overkill.

I took my daughter's small plastic beach pail and burned a bunch of small holes in the bottom with a heated nail. I scoop sand into it, and then sift it by letting water into it. Works great when they are around.

I transfer out the nice ones (roe laden ones) and put them in a small plastic saltshaker (I think it's a tupperware!) and put it in my pocket. They live a long time if you add a bit of water.

Sandcrabs are seasonal creatures. If I recall correctly, you'll see them in good numbers starting April or so.

tacklejunkie
02-19-2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll make me a sand crabbin' bucket come April.
I remember when I was little I used to take the sandcrabs home with me in a bottle of sand and water hoping they'd survive as pets. Of course, they were usually goners within a few hours, but I do remember getting them home alive.

Man, seems like all the good fishing is from spring to summer. The largemouth bass will be wide open while the fishing is good everywhere else. I don't know how I'll split my time in the highly anticipated warmer months between the bass, creek trout and beach/salt fishing..

sweetfish
02-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Yes TJ, sandcrabs are seasonal. They start showing up on the coast once the water starts to warm up (I believe 65+ degrees). Once they start showing up, the Corbina or Corvina (I forgot which is which), start to show up feasting on the sand crabs. Also the rays come in to feed on the dead ones.

ZenDragon
02-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Yup, look for the VvVvV's when the tide recedes. My girlfriend is an expert at catching them, pretty funny lol, but she gets alot for fishing...

ZenDragon