PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Out Of Oxnard

BakoBassin
02-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Someone here knows of a free charter I can get on if I wanna go. How's the fishing up that way? Would they be capitalizing on that bass bite to the south of them? The trip is on March 6th. I don't wanna just go for a boat ride, even if it's free.

Ricky-Ray
02-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Mostly they would be rockfishing. Rockfish season opens March 1st. and many of the boat's up in the Ventura/Oxnard area fish rockfish as their main bread and butter catch.

BakoBassin
02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Bleh...You think the fishing would at least be decent?

Ricky-Ray
02-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I would imagine the rockfishing up there would be good. The season for rockfish has been closed since Jan 1, so that fishery hasn't been touched for 3 months. I'm thinking about jumping on the Corloma on the March 1st. opener for rockfish. That should be a fun day.

Ambassadorhawg
02-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Are you kidding? Go for sure! Take some light action gear (along with heavy gear) and pray for calm weather. Cods are fun to catch on light gear!!! Fishing should be phenominal!

one_leg
02-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Do it Bako. Post a report whether it's good or bad, with lots of pics!

O_L

BakoBassin
02-19-2008, 07:11 AM
I'll wait and see how the weather is doing. If it's gonna be decent, I'll do it. Thanks guys.

Robert trout hunter
02-24-2008, 07:52 PM
I would imagine the rockfishing up there would be good. The season for rockfish has been closed since Jan 1, so that fishery hasn't been touched for 3 months. I'm thinking about jumping on the Corloma on the March 1st. opener for rockfish. That should be a fun day.
I do not know how to fish for rockfish what type of takle would i need for rock fish (rod reel #test bait?) My dad owes me a charter
:)

Ricky-Ray
02-24-2008, 08:38 PM
I do not know how to fish for rockfish what type of takle would i need for rock fish (rod reel #test bait?) My dad owes me a charter
:)

Rockfishing is pretty straight forward. If your fishing up in the Ventura/Oxnard area be prepared to fish up to 350ft of water. It can be shallower but it all depends on where the boat is going to fish. Having spectra on the reel helps as you can feel the bites alot more than with mono. I usually fish a mono leader of 6-8 ft anywhere from 30-40# mono and on a double dropper loop setup. Be prepared to use up to a pound of weight, it maybe necessary in some places. A 2/0-4/0 size hook will do and usually pin a squid strip on or a live sardine if they have it and just send it straight to the bottom. When you get bit, just wind back up

Robert trout hunter
02-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Rockfishing is pretty straight forward. If your fishing up in the Ventura/Oxnard area be prepared to fish up to 350ft of water. It can be shallower but it all depends on where the boat is going to fish. Having spectra on the reel helps as you can feel the bites alot more than with mono. I usually fish a mono leader of 6-8 ft anywhere from 30-40# mono and on a double dropper loop setup. Be prepared to use up to a pound of weight, it maybe necessary in some places. A 2/0-4/0 size hook will do and usually pin a squid strip on or a live sardine if they have it and just send it straight to the bottom. When you get bit, just wind back up
Ahhh i guess i cant avoid getting a baitcasting reel :( oh well thanks

Ricky-Ray
02-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Load the spinner with 20# spectra and maybe just maybe it will do the job if the reel is big enough. 20# spectra has the same diameter as 6# line.