PDA

View Full Version : Hooping LB 2/16 and 17

HESBROS
02-18-2008, 08:42 AM
We were planning on meeting Flyngby Sunday morning at Cabrillo for a day of buddy boating, so my wife and bro and I decided we would head down Sat night and pull an all nighter of hooping. We left Davies around 2100 for the spot. First string was in around 2140. While the nets were soaking we did some fishing with plastics, and we actualy caught some fish, a few calico's and Sand Bass, no Spotted bay bass (Dammit, thats my new goal), and some fish that I am not sure what it is, but we caught a bunch, all fish were released. When it was time to pull the first set, my wife decided she was demoting me to deck hand, and she was going to take over the Captains spot, and like a good deck hand, I agreed. So she drove the boat and the Bro and I were on the deck till 0200 when she decided to take a nap. Yeah, I got promoted back to Captain. It was actutally nice to get to be woking the deck for a change since usually I am always driving when we are hooping. Anyways, to make a long night short, we pulled our last string at 0600. We ended with 8 legals, 3 shorts thrown back,and a few spider crabs. It was one of those nights where we got one legal in each set, then finally the second to last set had 4 legals. We were only getting one lobster per net, kinda strange, we had one net that had two, and thats it, they were mostly singles. We also noticed that the net with Salmon Heads were not getting touched, so halfway through, we tossed all the nets, and then those nets were getting some too.....do the lobster in LB not like Salmon? I cannot givethe exact location since I got it from someone else, but it is inside the break wall, and we got them all in 51-54 ft.

ahhvtec
02-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Great work on the bugs!

chris
02-19-2008, 09:49 AM
good job i need to get out and try and get some bugs. that fish looks crazy like a snd bass and a calico cross or maybe a johnny bass i couldn't find a pic of johnny for you though

flyngby
02-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Those would have been very yummy with the Ribeye's and King Crab that I was cooking on Presidents Day when my daughter gave me the late message that you guys were headed out for more as I was basting the steaks. Dinner was great anyway minus the BUGS.

Look forward to the next post to see if the spot produced again!!

Olive Rockfish is what I believe it is after trying to ID ours from the next day. So hard to ID the rocky's at least for me.