PDA

View Full Version : Anchor for float tube?

fishmounter
05-09-2007, 05:35 PM
I fish some of the local lakes (Perris mostly) and there are times when I get into a bunch of nice fish in the afternoon when the wind starts blowing, and I have to keep kicking back out to that spot because the wind and chop pushes me away. I'll make 1 or 2 casts and by then I'm out of the spot. Does anyone have something that they use as an anchor that isn't too heavy, but grabs the mud and sand on the bottom?

MrSteve87
05-09-2007, 05:44 PM
I use a small little anchor I bought from a kayak store that works really well- Especially if you can toss is in some tree roots or bushes. It doesn't work that well in mud (so far). I fish up at WIDNY Isabella and it is mandatory

sapdawg11
05-09-2007, 07:51 PM
few options...

1. drift anchor. I use one on my yak and they make small ones for use on either a kayak or a float tube. They won't hold you perfectly still but helps a whole hell of a lot. They can be folded up like a towel and fit a lot of places on your tube. i love mine and use it all the time. You can get one of the smaller ones on http://www.kayakfishinggear.com.

2. dummy anchor. Big heavy weight/mushroom style anchor. Holds you really well in the mud. I have one that I use at corona lake in the mud and I don't move. Mine is big, around 10 pounds. I really don't budge an inch when i bring that thing. Only bummer is handling a big heavy anchor.

3. Claw/pick type anchor. The guy above me mentioned it. They are small collapsable anchors that they sell in either 3 or 5 pound weight classes. I say don't even bother with the small one. the claws will NOT dig into the mud. Like the guy above me said, they will catch on logs or other debris on the bottom and will hold you well. But with the mud, mine always just drags.

Paris Tuber
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
my brother has one of these he tells me its the best!!! cabelas.com

Float Tube Anchors
Give your feet a rest, and hold your position even in strong wind with these anchors. Minimal weight designs for easy transport without weighing you down.

Please select from the following:

Float Tube Anchor
Fluke-style anchor keeps you in position. Folding design easily fits into any float tube cargo pocket. Sizes: 1-1/2 lb., 3 lb. Item: IH 313434
Sale: $9.99

Hi-Tech Float Tube Anchor
This 1-lb. anchor is only 2-1/4" x 8" when closed, but opens up to an 11" diameter. Includes 20' anchor line.

Ghost
05-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Another idea I thought of. Buy a 5 lb coated dumbell & about 50 ft of anchor line. Both will cost you under $10.

I was looking at some anchors for float tubes & they are like $20+, so I just thought of using a dumbell instead. It will work great, also since it's coated you don't have to worry about it scratching your tube. I think the other types of anchors after a few uses will start getting beat up & will scratch your tube.

Just a thought I'd share....

Nessie Hunter
05-10-2007, 09:36 AM
I have fished the windy lakes (Silverwood) and the bays a lot on my Tube.....

I cant picture using an anchor????

The hassle would outweigh any benefits..

The bay has strong currents and wind.. Being able to adjust my position with fins is important, how long would you want to stay in one spot???

The benefits of the exercise is a plus also..

2Bin
05-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Gotta agree with Nessie.....

In the bay working a drift can be very important to success. I count on wind and current a lot for action on the drop shot for instance.

If your talking about fishing Freshwater (where a stationary approach) is used more often (hitting a certain tree over and over, a patch of tullies, or just a honey hole) I could see the need for an anchor. I do agree that the hastle of bringing on an anchor is greater than the help it will offer though.

Try angling your tube so that the wind would be pushing you face first away from the spot and not back first. Tubes are built to travel backwards, so if you change your angle you might not move as fast from the wind....

Gary C.
05-10-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't care for the idea of an anchor either but a buddy of mine uses one that seems just the ticket for him. He uses a canvas bag that he fills with sand when he gets to the lake and then dumps it before he leaves. Takes up no space or wieght in his truck. Besides that it does not feel near as bad as a matal anchor when he bangs it on his shins :lol:
gary C.

2Bin
05-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't care for the idea of an anchor either but a buddy of mine uses one that seems just the ticket for him. He uses a canvas bag that he fills with sand when he gets to the lake and then dumps it before he leaves. Takes up no space or wieght in his truck. Besides that it does not feel near as bad as a matal anchor when he bangs it on his shins :lol:
gary C.

Thats a great idea! - That I could roll with.

Thanks Gary. :idea:

Gary C.
05-10-2007, 02:31 PM
gary C.

Thats a great idea! - That I could roll with.

Thanks Gary. :idea:

Another good thing about the bag method is that if you ever hang it on the bottom you won't feel so bad about having to cut it loose :wink:

fishmounter
05-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah I know all about drifting, especially in the ocean bays, where it is better to drift, plus it's very dangerous to anchor where boats drive by. In lakes, especially in the afternoon when the winds come up, I want to do what the boaters do. Anchor above a hole or place where the fish are, within casting distance and cast with the wind. I don't want to carry a heavy anchor down to the lake with all my crap, but I wouldn't mind trying one of those fold-out 3 lb ones...if they will dig in. Seems like the more rope you let out, the better it grabs and holds...