PDA

View Full Version : FIRST TRIP EVER TO THE SIERRAS...PVR AND OWENS W/ DROOGIE23

pescado abajo
02-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Had a chance to shadow Droogie23 up to PVR and Owens 2/15-2/17 for my first trip to the Sierras. All I have to say is that this place is great. I really had two things I wanted to do while up there: learn as much as possible about PVR fishing from Droogie23, and catch my first brown.
Day 1:
We get to Bishop around 2:30 Friday, and hit PVR for a couple of hours. Even w/ the Bare trees and landscape, the place was beautiful and serene. We had a pleasant surprise as when we parked 2 older gentlemen told us the place had just been stocked w/ Alpers trout (more on the gentlemen later). We hit a narrow part of the area first. Droogie23 and I waded out a bit, throwing assorted artificials. Droogie23 caught a nice stocker; I just got bumped once w/ no hookset. What I learned from Droogie23: how he works the dropshot and splitshot. After about an hour, he took me to another spot, and we continued to fish. I again got no love from the PVR fish; Droogie23 farmed 4. What I learned from Droogie23: The correct way to farm a PVR rainbow, including the "I'm so dope for this place I can bring a 3-4 lb Alpers all the way in, let it swim right around me close enough to land, but just watch it until it wraps around a rock and gets off" method. About 100 ft to our left, the older gentlemen who told us about the Alpers were soaking bait. We hear one telling his partner that he had caught a brown. Droogie23 and I walked over to check it out, and the guy was dragging it trough the dirt, laying it on the rocks, and taking his sweet-***** time taking pics of it. Droogie23 rushed over and got it back in the water. A while after that, the guy's partner landed a brown and was not handling it properly at all. It must have been pretty bad b/c the first guy was yelling at him. It got dark and we decided to call it there. We ran into the older guys in the parking lot, and as we suspected, the brown the 2nd guy caught didn't survive. He had it wrapped in a plastic bag in his truck. He pulled the fish out so we could take a look at it, and it was a beautiful 3 lb brown :shock:
Totals for Day 1: Droogie23 - 1 stocker; me - 0

Day 2:
Hit PVR to tube around 6:30. It was pretty damn cold. How cold was it? After about 20 mins in the water, my top 3 guides were frozen. The entire holes were filled with ice, and there was an icicle forming at the tip of my rod. We fished until 3, again throwing an assortment of artificials.
Totals for day 2: Droogie23 - 3 stockers, 1 hog(4-5 lbs), 1 alpers, 2 browns; me - 6 stockers, 1 brooder, 1 alpers, 2 browns (MY FIRST!!! :banana: :banana: ).
ALL fish were c&r'd.
What I learned from Droogie23: how to properly c&r
After that, we went to pick up his fam, and went down to the Owens river. Very cool place. We threw assorted lures and salmon eggs, all for naught. We fished til it got dark and the coyotes were howling and barking. We took that as a sign that it was time to leave.

Day 3:
We hit the same spots as day 1 for a morning session. I was hoping to land a couple of rainbows to bring home. Again same routine as day 1, and unfortunately for me, just about the same results as day 1.
totals for day 3: Droogie23 - 2 stockers, 1 alpers; me - el skunko
what i learned from Droogie23: the fishing gods know if you are a c&r angler or not; they act accordingly.

Overall it was a great trip. The fight of the fish, their appearance, and overall surroundings of the area really blow the spots out here out of the water. Of course I will continue to fish out here, but I have a brand new appreciation for the Sierras. I can't wait to fish the other lakes during the Summer. Thanks Droogie23 for acting as my guide. I really enjoyed the time out there fishing and your fam is great. I can't wait to do it again!!

What was that? Pics? For some reason that I can't explain, my digi didn't save most of the pics I took, and the pics it did save did not come out very good. I'm hoping Droogie23 can either add pics here or if he posts a report add them there (he was having issues w/ his digi, too).
Thanks for reading and sorry about the length.
Til my next Sierra report, TIGHT LINES!!!
pa

tackle guy
02-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Great report. Thought I talked to droogie 23 at least twice a day while you guys were up there, I enjoyed reading your comments on the trip. I wish I was able to go with you guys. Maybe next time.

Socal man
02-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Good Report. Congrats on the Browns. Good job with the c&r

one_leg
02-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Patrick, thanks for the report dude!

I felt the same way when I learned about the Sierras too.

Can't wait to get back up there this year. Way up there!!!

O_L

Beancounter
02-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Great to hear you had good time. :thumb:
The higher in elevation you get, the better it gets mi amigo... 8)
Wait til you see Bishop Creek canyon, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake Loop etc. etc. etc.
So many places...so little time.
I can't wail til summer. The eastern sierras is another word for Paradise.