PDA

View Full Version : Late report, last weekend w/pix

Native Gal
02-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Hey fisher guys & gals,
Sorry for the late report but we have been busy with work and the house since fishing last weekend. Decided last minute to fish Oceanside fri night & sat since we had friday off because our clients were going out of town, so no work for the day :banana: , yeah!!!
Got to Oceanside checked in and fished a few hours friday night from 8:30. Fished anchovies and the night stalkers were out. A beautiful warm night and you could hear the seals playing. The fish were hungry, alot of hit and runs. Within 15 min my husband caught a lil Leo, a feisty lil guy who did not want his pix taken. He was a cutie. About ten minutes later I caught a lil bass, the night for me was all bass. About 20 min later my husband caught a nice lil smoothie. I got a few more bass and we called it a night. Alot of bites mostly from the bass for a few hours and then it slowed a bit, but it was time to go for the night, was looking forward to tomorrow.
Fri night count:
My husband - 1 Leo & 1 Smoothie
Me - several lil bass

Sat morning started around 9:30 and the bite was slow. Threw some lures and fished with anchovies, squid & shrimp. The few hits were on anchovies. A few hours later the in-laws joined us and we just chilled most of the day and soaked up the sun. Just before they arrived I missed a huge hit, that was the best action of the morning. Shortly after the in-laws arrived my father in-laws pole starts dancing but he missed the set. After that slow going for him, several lil nibbles through out the rest of the day. My husband only got 2 lil nibbles that was all. I managed to catch a lil hali and several lil bass. My mother in-law loved it that I caught some fish. Mostly enjoyed visiting with them on such a beautiful sunny day. I only saw one person catch a small hali, it was a slow day all over. Had an early dinner with my in-laws and they headed home to Irvine.

We decided to fish a few hours in the evening before heading home so my husband would not get the skunk. The anchovies were the bait the fish wanted again. My husband managed few nibbles but nada for the eve. I managed within an hour to get a lil bass, a scary looking lil guy who wanted to bite everything and blew himself up after we took the hook off his lip. He was so blown up upon release he looked like a beach ball bouncing around on top of the water. We settled him down a lil more by using the net and turned our head lamps off. A lil while later he deflated and took off into the night. I then caught a butterfly ray and later a cool looking smoothie, a lil bigger than the one I caught several months ago. Another fun night for me and unfortunately the lil :skunk: for my husband.
Fish count Sat:
My husband - 0
Me - 1 hali
several bass
the mean lil guy
1- BF ray
1- lil smoothie

The outing was fun and the weather beautiful, I love living in So Cal.
Enoy the pixs, all fish were safely CPR'd as always and sent back safely into the water.
Until next time, Tight Lines To All :D
NG

Wingnut
02-16-2008, 12:38 AM
NG, I finally get to comment on one of your posts. :banana:

Awesome detailed report, sounds like a fun few days of fishing for you & your hubbie. Glad that you got a chance to fish. Nice pics, thanks for sharing. :mrgreen:

I caught a little Leo about a month or so ago, about 16", he managed to bite me on the finger, but to my surprise, he had no teeth! Maybe the little ones don't... lucky for me. :wink:

tacklejunkie
02-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the report and pics guys. Nice variety! I saw some rays like that yesterday.

chris
02-16-2008, 08:09 AM
i don't think leopard sharks have teeth i caught a 3 and half footer and i got a good look in his mouth. it was like sand paper with big grit

Fisherman57
02-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Nice job out there and a good variety of fish!.... thanks for sharing the report and pics!

The shark you are holding in the 5th photo is a "Swell Shark" ..... they have the ability to "inflate" (usually when in a defensive mode)..... and yes, they have teeth as do Leo's!

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/swellsharkid.JPG

If I remember correctly, the Swell Shark that I caught had much more menacing looking teeth than a Leo.... :lol: but Leo's do have teeth, just smaller and not as pronounced.

They can be "mean lil' guys" when caught. :lol:

CoffeaRobusta
02-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Nice report as always, mleegal. Great pics. I've never seen a swell shark before but have read about them. That's cool that you caught one.

By the way, I think leos do have teeth, they're just small and more adapted for crushing crabs and the like, instead of tearing off chunks of flesh like other sharks.

rusty6
02-16-2008, 09:45 AM
i didn't know we had swell sharks in socal, i thought there were something more around here in the central cal waters

Fisherman57
02-16-2008, 10:50 AM
i didn't know we had swell sharks in socal, i thought there were something more around here in the central cal waters

I've seen a few pop up in SoCal reports every so often... I hooked one near Pismo Pier a few years back.... from what I could find thru a Google search..... they range from central California to the Gulf of California and into southern Mexico..... even some along the coast of Chile...