PDA

View Full Version : 2-15-08 First Buts!

tacklejunkie
02-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Woke up this morning early. Was thinking about fly fishing a local creek. The surf/weather conditions didn't sound favorable but I felt like trying my new rod and some new lures. Headed down to HB..

Got to Big Fish at 6:15am and bought some flashtrix minnows. Those things were pricey! :shock: Grabbed the baby perch and some blue smoke.

Then I got set up at BCSB to see about a few perch. Nailed two perch after a half hour, so the bite wasn't looking good. One of these was probably my personal smallest perch :lol: The tide was way out and the winds were tossing my LC's back at me. Decided to go try Mike the PMB's spot with the flashtrix minnows.

I got set up at the spot and immediately noticed stingrays swimming around and playing. Couldn't get any bites for a half hour. Then some dude showed up and we got to talking for a bit. He was trying to catch some baitfish when all the sudden I get smacked and bring up my first hali! :banana: Woohoo! I finally got one of those lil boogers. Took some pics, checked out the cool lookin' fish and sent him back on his way.

Noon rolls around so we went for a lunch break to subway.

Afterwards, I headed back over to BCSB to try from the surf, but the tide was just GONE. No worries, back to the spot with the halibut!
I get back and first cast I'm standing there and the 7' MH gets smacked so hard it bends amazingly. I'm thinking it's a 20lb fish! I reel it up and it's another shorty halibut! :banana: Sweet! Doubled the first. Took some pics and sent him back.

The guy I Was fishing with caught some Turbots and Hali's. We both caught a few fish each and had a good time. I finally figured out how to get a hali! I didn't get them on the flashtrix minnows though. I used a secret weapon :lol:

Thanks for the spot Mike! There was fish in there, I knew it! You helped me get my first hali bro! I appreciate your tips and advice a lot!

Here's some pics. Had a hell of a time today despite the cold, fast winds. The new rod was awesome for the surf! Good for lifting my baits and lures up over jetty rocks without snagging too. Might be out there again this weekend. Gotta hit up a trout stream with the fly rod here pretty soon too..

Now I gotta get a Legal Hali :twisted:

Skunkbreaker Perch
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BCWR%20Hali%202-15-08/DSC_2665.jpg
Tiny Perch! (no fish around to hit my small lures today)
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BCWR%20Hali%202-15-08/DSC_2666.jpg
My first Hali!
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BCWR%20Hali%202-15-08/DSC_2669.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BCWR%20Hali%202-15-08/DSC_2671.jpg
One of my buddies' Turbots
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BCWR%20Hali%202-15-08/DSC_2674.jpg
Another Hali!
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BCWR%20Hali%202-15-08/DSC_2675.jpg
Little guy, but man did he HAMMER the bait bigtime!
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BCWR%20Hali%202-15-08/DSC_2677.jpg
Neato flashtrix minnows
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BCWR%20Hali%202-15-08/flashtrix.jpg

WOKIEE
02-15-2008, 08:49 PM
hey we should meet up some day great report

ymin72
02-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Congrats on your first hali, TJ. Nce report.
Good fishing.

Z-TUNAKILLER
02-15-2008, 09:25 PM
tj , SWEET...... POPPED UR HALI CHERRY ! :rofl:

MAN, new fishing stuff must come with luck ? :banana:

legal 1 next ... :thumb:

GETTTTTERRRRRRRR-DONE !

Z

FISH ON !

fishindude420
02-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Great job on your first hali man! We need to meet up and surf fish sometime.

CoffeaRobusta
02-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Schweet TJ. I have fished that spot a couple of times for the big :skunk: . I shall have to try again sometime. Nice report and keep it up.

Wingnut
02-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Congrats on your 1st Hali Casey... now get yourself a legal! :mrgreen: 8)

Speaking of fishing, should I hit the surf this Sunday for Halibuts or fish Pyramid for Stripers the day before it closes down for two months... decisions, decisions... :wink: I'll flip a coin.

tacklejunkie
02-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the kind comments folks.

We should do a HB area Surf fishing get together! Lots of people down this way looking to meet up and fish!

Speaking of fishing, should I hit the surf this Sunday for Halibuts or fish Pyramid for Stripers the day before it closes down for two months... decisions, decisions... :wink: I'll flip a coin.
Weekends at the beach? :shock: :x :lol: Pyramid closing for 2 months? :shock:
Man, if it were me I'd have to go knock up the 'Mid for some of those hefty linesides you guys pull out of there. The beach will always be there for ya bro! :wink:

Once I get my truck man I'm going to be doing quite a bit of beach fishing. Right now is one of the worst times for me to be fishing as far as transportation goes..

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-16-2008, 07:38 AM
TJ NICE JOB ON BRAKING THE CHERRY. NEXT TIME YOU GET SOME FLASH TRIX ,GET THE 4" SKINNY ONES .THEY RESEMBLE SMELT AND ANCHOVIES. SAVE THOSE FAT ONES FOR BASS FISHING. KENNYS IN UPLAND HAS A LOT OF DIFFERENT SELECTIONS. GIVE ME A JINGLE. THOSE SMALL BROWN COLORED BAIT FISH ,YOU SAW AT THAT SPOT ARE BABY CROAKERS, I CAUGHT SOME IN MY NET, LAST YEAR GOING FOR SMELT. .GARY ,AND I ARE HEADED OUT TO THE SPOT SUN EARLY. IF YOU GET THERE EARLY AM YOU MIGHT HIT THE CROAKER BITE IT ONLY LAST 1/2 HR AFTER SUN RISE ,USING THE GHOSTIES,AND SMALL KAST MASTERS. NICE JOB ,AND SEE YOU OUT THERE SOME TIME... MIKE THE PMB.....

tacklejunkie
02-16-2008, 07:51 AM
TJ NICE JOB ON BRAKING THE CHERRY. NEXT TIME YOU GET SOME FLASH TRIX ,GET THE 4" SKINNY ONES .THEY RESEMBLE SMELT AND ANCHOVIES. SAVE THOSE FAT ONES FOR BASS FISHING. KENNYS IN UPLAND HAS A LOT OF DIFFERENT SELECTIONS. GIVE ME A JINGLE. THOSE SMALL BROWN COLORED BAIT FISH ,YOU SAW AT THAT SPOT ARE BABY CROAKERS, I CAUGHT SOME IN MY NET, LAST YEAR GOING FOR SMELT. .GARY ,AND I ARE HEADED OUT TO THE SPOT SUN EARLY. IF YOU GET THERE EARLY AM YOU MIGHT HIT THE CROAKER BITE IT ONLY LAST 1/2 HR AFTER SUN RISE ,USING THE GHOSTIES,AND SMALL KAST MASTERS. NICE JOB ,AND SEE YOU OUT THERE SOME TIME... MIKE THE PMB.....

Yeah I figured I got the wrong flashtrix.
The guy was just handing me stuff but kept passing up the longer ones :lol: I'll try the other longer ones next time. These little ones should do good in the surf though. Thanks for the tips as always man. They are cool little baits that will come in handy for sure one day. The guy catching the Turbots was getting them on Ghost shrimp throughout the day. It ate a #6 hook that was twice the size of it's mouth! :shock:

calico killer kevin
02-16-2008, 08:42 PM
That is a great place for undrsized halis although I've caught some legals there. The most effective lures there are the gulp smelts on a c-rig or dropshot. Those work the best although any soft white plastic will work there. I have caught one hali on a mack krocodile there and it was a beautiful 24.5". Good Job

Calico Killer Kevin

sweetfish
02-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Good job on catching a new species.

vanillagurilla
02-17-2008, 09:49 AM
nice job on the butts TJ!

mth1997
02-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Congrats on the first halibut! Those are tasty fish!

SanDimasLMB
02-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Nice job on the DS halibut.

Can anyone tell me where this is?

ZenDragon
02-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Nice TJ, I've still to catch my first Hali so I know how stoked you were. BSP, YFC, & CORB. is mainly what I've been hookin into. Congratulations, lets hope for a legal next time... :thumb:

ZenDragon

one_leg
02-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Nice fish!!!

O_L

BakoBassin
02-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Aahh, they're so cute. Bless their hearts :wink:

newbefisher
02-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Nice job! :thumb: I'm looking into doing some surf fishing soon.

tacklejunkie
02-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Nice job! :thumb: I'm looking into doing some surf fishing soon.
Grab some sandworms and a medium stick to toss 1/2oz C-rigs and you're good to go!

Nice TJ, I've still to catch my first Hali so I know how stoked you were. BSP, YFC, & CORB. is mainly what I've been hookin into. Congratulations, lets hope for a legal next time... :thumb:
Thanks dude! They were cool little fish. You'll get one soon!

Can anyone tell me where this is?
It's at "Mike's Reserve" aka Bolsa Chica Wetlands Reserve. He told everyone where it was a few posts back of mine, so I don't think it's any secret.

I was out there again yesterday 2/18/08 trying for a repeat of Friday. Not much going on so I'll just slap the report here.
No luck on the Hali's or Turbots after throwing my whole salt arsenal, so I hit BCSB and caught a perch before heading home.
On the way home, something told me to stop by the wedge. When I got there, I met FNN member Them Bastards down there trying for more batrays. I decided to give it a shot myself. TB kicked me down some squid before he left. (Thanks TB!) But unfortunately no takers on the squid or shrimp. Saw people down the jetty catching jack smelt or something like them. Left the jetty about 4 and headed home. Still no skunk from the ocean!