PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for Striper Fishing this weekend?

asiskaaa
02-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey,

I am pretty new in fishing and appreciate suggestions about good lakes for stripers or trout in this season.

I plan to go out for three days from Saturday till Monday. I am in Mountain view area and have a boat. Currently looking into these lakes:

- Comanche Reservior
- New Hogan Reservoir
- New melones lake
- Don Petro Lake
- Lake Berryessa
- San Luis Lake
- O'Nellie Forbay (close to San Luis) lake
- Lake Antonio

Got confused by too many lake names after checking google map, don't know which one would be the best. :-)

Thanks!

Bill

wrondogg
02-15-2008, 03:55 PM
San Luis Resevoir is probably one of the best Striper lakes north of Santa Barbara. I'm not sure if its any good right now though. I do know it gets extremely windy there in the late morning through the early evening. Try topwater and swimbaits in the morning but in the day and night probably going to have to fish deep with sardines or live bait if you can get it.

Lake San Antonio is good but not until the water temp gets up to 60. I was there last Saturday and it was 55 so we got about 6-8 weeks still.

Not too sure about striper at the other lakes you mentioned.

Hope this helps a little.

FISHINGBEE
04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey,

I am pretty new in fishing and appreciate suggestions about good lakes for stripers or trout in this season.

I plan to go out for three days from Saturday till Monday. I am in Mountain view area and have a boat. Currently looking into these lakes:

- Comanche Reservior
- New Hogan Reservoir
- New melones lake
- Don Petro Lake
- Lake Berryessa
- San Luis Lake
- O'Nellie Forbay (close to San Luis) lake
- Lake Antonio

Got confused by too many lake names after checking google map, don't know which one would be the best. :-)

Thanks!

Bill If you want to get real serious about Striper fishing. The San Luis Res and O neal forebay are the best striper lakes in California. The big lake San luis you could spend a year there and still would not know the lake. The Lake gets windy and a Green light will be on in calm days. Yellow means be careful red no boats allowed. I believe there is two launch ramps. Dinosour point the other By the dam on the othe side. The trash racks are a favorite here. you will see them at the dam are. There is lots of high points out towrds center of lake. I know it gets deeper than 500 ft in the middle. There is high spots that produce suspended stripers. Spoons, Jumbo minnows, cut anchovy all work well. THe Forebay has0 a better big striper rep. Trolled brokenback rebels are hot so are hair raisers and drifting with Jumbo minnows or anchovies. Shore fishing at the dam at the big lake is good. Shore under the bridge at forebay where water flows in is ahot spot for small to giant stripers. The forebay i believe has had a 63 lb striper landed.

FISHNBEE