PDA

View Full Version : Seal Beach South Jetty Mystery Fish

CoffeaRobusta
02-13-2008, 07:31 PM
On Tuesday I fished the morning hours at Seal Beach, starting on the south end. I first tried fishing off the jetty that protects the entrance to Huntington Harbor and Anaheim Bay. I went out as far as the fence would allow and then started fan casting. On the third cast, I hooked up with this guy. I think it might be a sargo but the stripe is not as pronounced as I have seen on other sargos. If it is a sargo then it is my first.
[attachment=3:08558]SealBeach001.jpg[/attachment:08558]
[attachment=2:08558]SealBeach002.jpg[/attachment:08558]
I wanted to practice throwing my cheap, wanna-be lucky craft lure. I forget who makes it but it is branded by Owner and is a suspending hardbait with a metalic sardine pattern. So I did that for awhile off the rocks. I suspect that the better halibut habitat was on the other side of the fence as it's waters were more protected. That side is Navy no-man's land though. Someone once told me they had a group (school?) of Navy Seals pop up out of the water on them when they were fishing of the very end of that jetty. Needles to say no love for me on the lure, but I got to see how that thing moves in the water and how deep it dives. It didn't really seem to dive that deep. I'm wondering if I can weight it with split shot high up on the leader.

After awhile of tossing that, I made it to the shore and started working the beach with perch crack. Unfortunately, there were no takers. All was not in vain, however. It was low tide and I was able to notice the beach had a pattern of high and low spots that would be covered over with the right high tide. Each depression was associated with swirly water that picked up a lot of sand and carried it away from the beach. I figured these would be good places for a hungry perch to pick up on a meal. So I fished the edges of the brown water but still no love. I blame it on the low tide. Unfortuantely, I wasn't able to wait until the tide came up but I did mark the locations for later. My theory is that they will produce whe the tide is right. We'll see how that pans out.
[attachment=1:08558]PICT0011.jpg[/attachment:08558]
[attachment=0:08558]SealBeach003.jpg[/attachment:08558]

tacklejunkie
02-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Good work!
Never seen one of those before :lol:

rusty6
02-13-2008, 07:47 PM
some sort of perch...definitely not a sargo

KaliDawgFan
02-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Looks a tad like a pile perch.

Fisherman57
02-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I vote with Ryan......... Pile Perch.

The dark bar below the front portion of the dorsal fin and the small black spot behind the corner of the mouth are both indicators of a Pile Perch.

victor101
02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Looks a tad like a pile perch.

I 2nd on the Pile perch

CoffeaRobusta
02-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Schweet! Pile perch is dead on. Well then that's my first ever pile perch! :D

flyngby
02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Big Pile perch!!!!!!!

Nice job!!

Will some how run across you 1 day!!

Seem like you are getting out and more hooked on the surf thing. Watch out there WINGNUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wingnut
02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Big Pile perch!!!!!!!

Nice job!!

Will some how run across you 1 day!!

Seem like you are getting out and more hooked on the surf thing. Watch out there WINGNUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I can do it anybody can do it! Surf fishing is generating a lot of excitement lately... love it!

Nice Perch! Something that you don't see every day. :mrgreen:

olfishergal
02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Perch with piles? :rofl: :rofl: