PDA

View Full Version : Seal Beach Pier and Huntington Dog Beach 2/10/08

CoffeaRobusta
02-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Just a quick report since I am at work. Fished SBP for 4 hours Sun. morning. The sun was out, little wind, and the waves weren't huge. So very nice conditions. Got to the pier and found that a surfing competion was going on. Cool, I can fish and watch the competition. I set up near the life guard tower and cast off the north side of the pier using c-rigged BGCSW. Also cool I am the only one fishing that spot. Within the first minute, Bam! I pull in my first ever walleye surf perch.

[attachment=1:61fa2]SBPDB 2-10-2008 8-36-08 AM.jpg[/attachment:61fa2]
Well I was getting bites but couldn't hook them. I figure they were mostly dinks and I'm getting short bites. I also notice that all the other pier rats are heading all the way out to the end. Now I knew better, but the herd instinct in me must have taken over and I pack up and move out to the end. Only to get no bites and people fishing to the left and right of me no matter where I set up. I moved from bites and no crowd to no bites and big crowd. Doh! Only thing I saw caught out there was a tiny white croaker. So I finally wise up and move back to the lifegaurd tower.

I've noticed that north of the lifeguard tower is productive for YFC's and perch by seeing what people catch out there. Also there is a breakwall there and the action of the surf on it really stirs up the bottom, so it's generally a good spot for bottom feeders. Not to mention the wall is covered with mussels, as evidenced by the [url=http://picasaweb.google.com/bdmill/SealBeachPierDogBeach21008/photo#5165523607953965778:61fa2]surf scoters that feed on them[/url:61fa2]. By this time, other people have moved in but I set up and manage to get another walleye. I was also throwing squid strips but the bait of choice was BGCSW. Also saw a couple of people here catch some big smelt.

[attachment=0:61fa2]SBPDB 2-10-2008 11-52-55 AM.jpg[/attachment:61fa2]
After that I pack up and meet the GF and dog at Huntington Dog Beach. High tide, moderately big surf, and lots of people. Spent an hour there for nada, but it's all good experience.

SanDimasLMB
02-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Nice job on the Walleye perch. Looks like anice day out.

calvaryguy23
02-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Nice Job bro i was there on saturday closer to the ramp where the oil platform workers board. i hate when captain lee comes in lol makes the water all murky! oh yeah got a big :skunk:

Cal

Fisherman57
02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Nice job.... :thumb:

There's some good fishing at Dog Beach if you hit it at the right times and tides....

CoffeaRobusta
02-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Fisherman57.....and the right times and tides would be?........anyone? anyone? :wink:

I have caught a BSP once there. If I recall the tide was lower, and I was casting out as far as I could using a high/low and a pyramid weight. I had so much weight on I didn't even know the fish was there. Is this what it means to farm a fish?

You bring up another good point about fishing the surf. The general rule is just around high tide. Early morning high tides would theoretically be the best. But my guess is that different beaches would be good at different tides/times for a paticular set up. And then theres the whole idea of fish presence versus fishability. Fish might be there but conditions are such that it's difficult to fish. Well I'm gonna keep pluggin away at it because it's better than sittin around at home.