PDA

View Full Version : boat mechanic needed

pappi
02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
hello, im new to fnn. i was hoping someone could help me out with a decent/honest mechanic. somewhere in the san berdoo county. preferably in hesperia area.

the starter engages but the motor will not turn over, i took a spark plug out to decompress a little nothing. i cannot turn belt or prop by hand. the crank is stuck as far as i know anyways help a mechanic would be very appricated

1997 180le chapperal; boat model

DyleeBrand
02-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Sounds like you got serious stuff going on there Papilon....Don t think a mobile mechanic can do much..
I m just assumming you got the 3.0 4 cylinder, or 4.3 v6....either way, try this cheap, not always work, method first..
Take all the spark plugs out, squirt a lot of WD-40 or Marvel oil in the cylinders, let it soak overnight....and go get a lot of incents and pray to all the Gods, Buddhas, Angles, Evils....even Allah.....the starter can break loose those stuck rings, due to corrosion inside the cylinders..And see if you can turn it over by a big socket and ratchet at the crankshaft..
Even if you re lucky the thing started spinning, more praying to come though...
Put the plugs back, in the right firing order ofcourse, prime the carb....Don t look down the carb when cranking, the backfire might should flame up and make you a hairless fisherman....
And if the sucker start?...Run a few minutes see if it overheat, if it does?...A leaking head gasket s most common. You ll see a lot of blue smoke due to oil passing the collapsed rings, not to worry.
When you go out on it?..Don t go too far yet, gotta try a couple of hours running time to see if the rings reseal itself..

Anyway, i gotta feeling the motor s frozen from internal rust....Good luck..

Tail Chaser
02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
If your only hearing a click from the starter. Your battery voltage may be low. Battery terminals clean? Cables to the starter clean and tight?
Hows the oil look?
Get some jumpers etc, Make sure you have plenty of juice getting to the starter.
DONT START MOTOR WITHOUT WATER TO IMPELLER
Could pull all the spark plugs. They Tan/Brown? Rusty? That will release all the compression. Mark all the plug wires for correct reinstall. crank again. sguirt some oil in the cylinders. Try again in a few mins
Put a socket on the big harmonic balancer bolt. Try spinning motor
Ive read lots of post of starters rusting/freezing up also.
Trans in gear with prop in the ground? :oops:
Few things to try. Good Luck

pappi
02-13-2008, 05:53 PM
thanks for all the advice, it is the v6 4.3

i left it sit in phoenix for 9 months. never had a chance to run it in those 9 months. i had my dad take a look at it and recomended me to take it to a mechanic it was his boat to begin with. we will see whats wrong with it before we point fingures at each other. i dont care how much it costs as long as its ready for prespawn :D

calvaryguy23
02-13-2008, 05:54 PM
hey i have a frozen mercruiser here at home and it's frozen what should i do? rebuild it or get a new engine? let me know thanks

Cal

pappi
02-13-2008, 06:02 PM
i am going to take mine in for a qoute to be fixxed

Tail Chaser
02-13-2008, 06:43 PM
GM has marine base engines. From another fishing forum. Guys have used and like this company http://www.michiganmotorz.com
Ive bought a brand new outdrive from http://www.marinepowerservice.com
Marine mecanics charge like 100.00 bucks an hr. Ive found the hrs involved with rebuilding get to pricey.
If all your carbs,starters,etc is in good shape. Buying a brand new GM crate motor. Then add all the external stuff on it could be a good way to go. Thats what Merc and Volvo do. Wish they had a 383ci crate motor.

calvaryguy23
02-14-2008, 08:53 AM
how much do crate motors run? i really want to get this boat restored and running!

Cal

Pics will come soon!

Tail Chaser
02-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Click on the Two websites I posted on my previous message.
Has all types/years of motors. 5.7 chevy 1986 older base crate 2300.00 Newer years couple hundred more.
Complete turn key motors 6775.00
These are brand new GM motors. They have rebuilt ones to

Tail Chaser
02-14-2008, 10:11 AM
thanks for all the advice, it is the v6 4.3

i left it sit in phoenix for 9 months. never had a chance to run it in those 9 months. i had my dad take a look at it and recomended me to take it to a mechanic it was his boat to begin with. we will see whats wrong with it before we point fingures at each other. i dont care how much it costs as long as its ready for prespawn :D If it ran good before you parked it. And after sitting its screwed up. Thats nobodys fault. Try to always keep everything all oiled and greased up. Then hopefully no moisture gets into parts,elecs to cause problems down the road.
Thats all you can hope for :bawl: