PDA

View Full Version : Fishing June Lake Loop

sky
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
The June Lake Loop is a chain of lakes, along Highway 158 connecting with State Route 120 and US Highway 395. The loop travels along a winding road overlooking colorful jagged mountains and four of the most picturesque lakes in the Eastern Sierra region of Central California. From the southern entrance, the loop leads you past June Lake, Gull Lake, Silver Lake and Grant Lake in that order.

JUNE LAKE
June Lake is situated in an exceptionally beautiful region, in the High Sierras. It is the second largest lake of the four lakes located on the June Lake Loop and it is sure to capture the hearts of all who visit this natural wonder. Fishing at June Lake is ideal for those who enjoy a prime trout fishing destination. The lake receives hordes of rainbow trout up to 85,000 per year, in addition to 10,000 cutthroat fingerlings.

GULL LAKE
Gull Lake is encompassed by scenic mountain peaks and a forest of fragrant pines. It is used primarily by fishermen, fishing along the shore. The Department of Fish and Game stocks close to 40,000 rainbow trout in the 10 to 12 inch class, and 10,000 cutthroat fingerlings per year. This picturesque little alpine lake may not offer much in the way of a long distance paddle. However, the awe-inspiring shoreline, minimal amount of boat traffic, and a quiet atmosphere provide the perfect environment to spend a peaceful afternoon fishing amongst an array of scenic splendors.

SILVER LAKE
Just a short distance from Gull Lake, further down on Highway 158, lies this small, crystal clear blue-water alpine lake. The lake usually offers calm water throughout the day due to the minimal disruption from the boat traffic and a 10 M.P.H. boat speed limit. This lake is ideal for novice kayak anglers who enjoy a short leisurely paddle and stunning scenery while catching hordes of trout. The lake is stocked with around 48,000 rainbow trout and 10,000 cutthroat fingerlings a year.

GRANT LAKE
Grant Lake, the largest lake in the June Lake Loop. Kayak anglers may want to troll for fish only in the southern half of the lake because the open northern side of the lake has a tendency to have windier conditions than the more sheltered southern section. Grant Lake has a minimal amount of boat traffic and is often deserted, unless there is a fishing contest. The lake is planted with 60,000 rainbow trout in the 10 to 12 inch class. Jet and waterskiing are permitted on Grant Lake, unlike the other three lakes on the June Lake Loop, which can be a nuisance for anglers who prefer more quiet waters.

one_leg
02-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Some day I'll get up there too.

O_L

sky
03-13-2008, 03:25 AM
Some day I'll get up there too.

O_L

If you make it up to June Lakes, I'd camp and fish at either June Lake or Gull Lake.
There is more shoreline access at Gull Lake. They all have rental boats.

Silver Lake can get busy on the weekends.

chris
03-13-2008, 02:05 PM
the first place i fished up there was grant then bounced back through the canyon hittin em all til june it was a blast

Fearless
03-14-2008, 09:24 PM
I am going to Silver Lake in July for Trout. Any suggestions or Ideas. Going for a whole week!!

Beancounter
03-15-2008, 12:12 AM
We're staying at June Lake Oh Ridge for a week in July as well. I've been taking my boys up there for the past 17 years and we always try Lundy & Saddlebag lakes as well. They are only a short drive north.

sky
03-15-2008, 02:29 AM
I'll be there in July (or at the end of June), all depending on when the snow melts. The times I've been to Grant Lake I didn't see as much fishing action as I did at Gull, Silver and June Lakes. I would also check out Gull Lake and June Lake since you are going to be there for a whole week.

At Silver Lake a good spot to fish for trout is by the boat launch. There’s good fishing in the evening time from along the shore. I’d bring a small chair to sit on. The water level is always pretty high at Silver Lake and there wasn't any shoreline to sit on by the boat launch. I'd bring your waders also, because the water is butt freezing cold. Plus you may want to fly fish from the creeks. (Bring your bear spray too.)

There is a trail on the west side of Silver Lake along Rush Creek where I saw a lot of people fishing from.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=1777 Here's a previous post with lots of good information written by gwjones00.

Here's a good map of the area:

Reverse Creek between Silver Lake and Gull Lake:
http://www.hikercentral.com/campgrounds/115007.html

I am not sure where Chris is referring to on Grant Lake, "hitting through the canyon". The eastern half of Grant Lake is where I would go on Grant Lake. It is more protected from the wind, and not as busy as the other half of the lake.

chris
03-15-2008, 03:13 AM
all the camp sites were full so we had to camp at grant then i drove back through the canyon stopping at the road side spots and the meadows picnic area at gull and finally launched the boat at june. last year there was great fishing on grant but it was all at 7-9 colors on leadcore. rush creek also dumps into grant it's a good spot to fish

jeff4321
03-15-2008, 07:37 PM
i was snowboarding in june lake. it was frozen.

Fearless
03-18-2008, 01:06 AM
going up there in July ( Silver ) what kind of bait and lures do u use up there! what works best ?? anyone?