PDA

View Full Version : white fluid coming from outboard

sktruth
02-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Took my 12' fishing boat to nph saterday. Everything ran fine. Washed her all out when i got home. I went outside this morning and saw what looked like a white fluid dripping out. Any suggestions on what this could be or how to repair it is greatly appreciated. Will post pics if they will help. Thank you

BingJr
02-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Quite possibly its the white grease used in lubricating the lower end. Pull the prop and make sure you didnt pick up any line or stuff that may have cut the seal to allow the grease to leak. Also may just be some excess grease used if it was service recently.

sktruth
02-11-2008, 07:56 PM
it wasn't serviced recently. I'll check the prop in the morning. Thank you

GeordyBass
02-11-2008, 08:06 PM
maybe it's the grease used to lube the tilt?!?!?!?

Gerald
02-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Grease wont be dripping out. Grease is thick and wont turn to liquid unless it gets hot.

It sounds like you may have a lower end seal leaking that allowed water to get in and mix with the gear oil. When water and oil mix they turn to a milky white color

FISH ON
02-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Grease wont be dripping out. Grease is thick and wont turn to liquid unless it gets hot.

It sounds like you may have a lower end seal leaking that allowed water to get in and mix with the gear oil. When water and oil mix they turn to a milky white color i bet Gerald hit the nail on the head. buy a maintenance book for your motor and tear the lower down. you should do the impeller while you have the lower apart.

sktruth
02-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Is anyone out there interested in taking a look at the outboard and maybe doing some repairs? I will pay a reasonable amount, but i know almost nothing about boats. I live in ontario. If anyone is interested, please respond. thank you

reaktion4
02-12-2008, 06:15 PM
This happened to me before. It is water leaking into the lower unit gear oil. When the water mixes with the lower gear oil it turns into a white liquid paste. You will need to re-seal the lower end or check the prop, fishing line can cause a cut into the gasket and cause the leakage. Good Luck with everything.

chrisplewis
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Yes, it sounds like a rear seal is busted and allowing water to come in. It is probably due to fishing line that people throw into the lake. I never do that. I have a 200 optimax and I just had mine in for its first servive (20 hour) and they found that mine was leaking too. The seals are not to expensive. The labor is what kills ya. Good luck....It happens to us all sooner or later.

Also It is a good idea to check the prop every few months. Just take it off and remove fishing line if any....

:idea:

Fastfish
02-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I use to call it spooge it may be this just leftover unburnt fuel mixing with water and draining out after a trip.

Fastfish

Sparky70
02-13-2008, 07:47 PM
SPOOG? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Tail Chaser
02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Mixing water with oil turns into a milky White/grayish color.
Check your motor oil. Make sure that oil is a normal color
Should check the drive gear oil asap. Don't want water sitting in there doing damage.
Theres two screws. A bottom filler and a upper vent screw.
Put a glass jar under the lower fill screw.
Unscrew both lower fill and upper vent screws.
With the gear oil in the jar. You can check for water and metal in your gear oil
You actually fill the unit back up from the bottom fill screw till the new gear oil flows out the upper vent screw.
Get new screw gaskets too.
Trying to fill from the top will not let enough oil in.
Seloc service manuals have very good pics and explain everything nicely

Fastfish
02-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Beings this boat is a 12ft'r I'll guess that the motor is a small 2cycle?? if so go back to the spooge theory if its a small 4stroke check ur motor oil and gear oil.

Fastfish