PDA

View Full Version : Calico Setup????

Liteliner
02-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Im thinking about getting a luna 253 for some calico fishing. Just wondering if anybody could give me some info on what rod would fit well with that reel. I plan to throw big hammers mostly with hit. Should I go spectra??? Should I go with a different reel??? Whats a good setup for calico swimbait fishing??? Thanks in advance.

Nessie Hunter
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I may be biased, cuz I want one so bad....

But, I think for $10 more the Luna 300 is far better reel.. 11 drag washer as apposed to 7..

Will hold more line and 1 1/2 oz heavier, but you could easily fish YT, dorado and small tuna with it also..... Equal to a nice looking Sealine 30 with level wind..

190 yrds 14# for the 253,,, and 320 yrds 14# on the 300..

That extra line capacity, better drags, filled with spectra and top shot of your choice would make it the best choice to me..

With the free floating spool you can easily cast live bait and throw 1/2 oz swim baits with ease.....

Just MHO, and I want one pretty bad... :lol: :lol: :lol:

tacklejunkie
02-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Anyone who ever thought about buying a Luna should do so. :lol: That reel owns!
I pretty much use it for anything above an ounce. It'll yank in a 5lb LMB like nothing..

fishmachine14
02-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I agree, i too own a Luna 253 and it is awesome. Im thinking about getting a shimano compre to match it.

flopps1
02-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Luna's a good choice....

There is always the Calcutta by Shimano. My absolute favorite. I like the the CTE400. Proven and a solid reel. The Curado 300 is something to look at as well. This baitcaster has balls. No need for using spectra. The 300 or 400 size would hold plenty of 12 to 20 pound test, specially if you are targeting calico's. I would say add the spectra if you target larger spieces so that you have the extra capacity.

If you happen to hook up on something like a seabass or yellow, you should be fine with a little finessing.

As for rod selection...I would go with a Calcutta rod, hands down! Has a stiffer tip to pull and turn fish quicker off structure. If your not looking to spend that much, then I suggest a Teramar, West Coast version. They are pretty much the same rod as the Calcutta's but the guides aren't as good. Either one will do the job.

Ricky-Ray
02-12-2008, 10:49 AM
My current calico setup is a Shimano Curado 300 on an Calstar 800XL. It's loaded with 40# spectra and I usually fish a short topshot of 15# flouro usually around 6-8ft. This setup's got plenty of backbone to yank any calico out of the kelp and if he's stuck in there I can saw thru the kelp without any problems. Also if I happen to hookup a yellowtail or a WSB I still have enough power to bring them in also. The Curado 300 has 15# of drag that's alot of power from that little reel.

DavidE
02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
My current calico setup is a Shimano Curado 300 on an Calstar 800XL. It's loaded with 40# spectra and I usually fish a short topshot of 15# flouro usually around 6-8ft. This setup's got plenty of backbone to yank any calico out of the kelp and if he's stuck in there I can saw thru the kelp without any problems. Also if I happen to hookup a yellowtail or a WSB I still have enough power to bring them in also. The Curado 300 has 15# of drag that's alot of power from that little reel.

Oh yea man, I love my Curado 300. I may pick up a 301 for the left hand wind. Im way to used to fishing Bass with a spinning that I don't get the same action reeling with my right hand ....

FishermanStu
02-12-2008, 11:39 PM
i just got the luna 300 with an 8ft shimano calcutta rod. rod is a little long but i can throw big hammers a mile. great real i must say