PDA

View Full Version : BSPs, a YFC & a Halibut, and Good Company...Priceless!

Wingnut
02-10-2008, 09:29 PM
CAPT'N & his son Fishyboy have been wanting me to hit the surf with them for a while now and I'm glad that I was finally able to join them today. Our meeting point was North Zuma at 7:30am. Got there at low tide and the surge was already pushing hard. The wash cycle was in full mode. Thanks goodness for a good pair of waders. Notes to CAPT'N & Fishyboy... Put WADERS on your wish list! :Wink: The water was relatively clear at the start of the day and pretty much salad free. The weather was sensational, absolutely perfect.

I handed CAPT'N a LC Flash Minnow 110 Zebra Sardine and gave him the crash course in "Surf Fishing Finesse 101". Within 15 minutes, a slab BSP hammered the LC and he became an instant believer. :Big Grin:

All three of us worked the half mile stretch of beach with the LC's nailing Perches here & there, taking full advantage of their aggressive spawning behavior. Actually, we were hoping to run into a Hali or two.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture010-8.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture011-7.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture012-7.jpg

About a couple of hours into the Perch slay, City Dad comes walking up and says "Hey Wingnut!" I said, "@#*! City Dad, stop stalking me... or I'm gonna have Dana ban you!" :ROFL: Just kidding... He was busy slaying Perch with his fly pole and just switched over the the "Perch Crack" on the spinning. He found a sweet hole and was nailing the Perch slabs left & right. Really nice to finally meet you CD, I'll be taking fly fishing lessons from you one of these days. :Wink:
I was happy to entertain him with this nice Yellow Fin Croaker. :Big Grin:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture015-5.jpg

City Dad & CAPT'N
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture014-5.jpg

Wingnut & City Dad
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture013-7.jpg

Fishyboy & Wingnut
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture017-4.jpg

Father & Son Slaying Team
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture016-4.jpg

We eventually switched over to the Gulp CSW and were pulling in Perches of all sizes. It wasn't exactly wide open, but we got some decent Perch action... some were dinks and some were slabs. Good times!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture021-3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture019-3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture020-3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture022-3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture018-4.jpg

It was getting late in the afternoon and the rough surf conditions was taking its toll. The water became cloudy and the three of us were drenched. We walked back to the car and chatted about the fun that we just had. Scott & Arthur, it was GREAT fishing with you guys again. Fantastic company!

As we parted ways and I was driving down PCH, I felt an emptiness in my stomach... no, It wasn't hunger that I was feeling. Even though it was a fun day, a success in most regards, there was still something missing... can you guess what it is? Let me give you a hint, it starts with the letter "H" :LOL: Instead of turning left on Malibu Canyon and going back up the hill, the voice inside my head tells me to keep driving... weird. I pulled over a short while later at a spot that Surf Master Mike (Kichigai1) and I hit up about a month ago. Parked and walked down to the water, with the Malibu Pier within sight, I began my quest to fill the void, if I succeed, it would surely be a perfect day. And the LC went flying once again. I worked that shoreline for an hour and a half as the sun was rapidly decending. Just as the twilight was setting in and my hopes begin to disappear along with the sunlight... my "luck" comes through again. Thump, thump, thump... the unmistakable head shakes of a Hali. :Big Grin:
The void has been filled, the emptiness is gone... my day is now complete. :Cool:
Near dark, no one around to take my picture...
Pulled out the tape measure, held the camera above my head, snapped a couple of pics and back into the water it went.
21 inches, lucky fish indeed!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture005-5.jpg

Thanks for reading, hope everybody have a great Valentine's Day week. :Cool:

Arthur (Wingnut) :Envious:

"Time is like a circus... always packing up and moving away..."

flyngby
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Great job WN!

I was right when I replied to CD that he beat you to the report as you were probably still out there throwing hoping for the the BUTT!!!!!!!

Way to spend some time with the kids!!!!!!!!!!!

tacklejunkie
02-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Nice! Good amount of fish for everyone.
Great report as always. Thanks for the pics!
Good job on the "bonus fish" :lol:

Boldfin
02-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Sounds like I missed a good time, but I couldn't pass up a chance to have brunch with the Hookjaws at LNL. I'll definitely join y'all next time.

Persistence, observation, and attitude are the keys to angling success. Nice job on the 'but W-nut.

City Dad
02-11-2008, 09:29 AM
I am not exagerating when I say that Wingnut caught that croaker as if on cue. I'm like "Well, you guys have fun throwing those Lucky Craft, I'm going back to my perch hole!" and then Arthur goes bendo. That was cool.

So, I'll make you a deal, Wingster. I'll go flyfishing with you if you promise to list my flies when you start setting tippet class records.

victor101
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
WOW Wingnut, you are gaining celebrity status lol. Thanks for the report and good job on keeping the saltwater surf reports alive! :thumb:

Fresssh
02-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Wignut, I have been reviewing your post.... I wanted to know if we can meet in person so you can show me a thing or two. You can say I am ROOKIE in surf fishing. Please reply..

blackwater
02-11-2008, 05:25 PM
nice job avoidng the :skunk: once again!
thanks for the report!
BW

Fisherman57
02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Multi-species day for the Wing Man!..... congrats Arthur!
Always nice to ring up a Halibut at the end of the day!

Just got a call from one of our members ..... we need to head North soon!

Get any pics of CD working the flys? :wink:

PONTOON
02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Great report and pics Wingnut! :thumb: :thumb:

Note to self.....follow Dana and Wingnut North. :lol: :lol:

sansou
02-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Great report and pics Wingnut! :thumb: :thumb:

Note to self.....follow Dana and Wingnut North. :lol: :lol:

Roger that!

Congrats to all you guys!

Wingnut
02-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Flyngby wrote: Great job WN!
I was right when I replied to CD that he beat you to the report as you were probably still out there throwing hoping for the the BUTT!!!!!!!
You're right Steve, I couldn't end the day without giving a decent effort for a Butt!

Tacklejunkie wrote: Nice! Good amount of fish for everyone.
Great report as always. Thanks for the pics!
Good job on the "bonus fish"
Which "Bonus" fish were you referring to? When you catch any Hali, it's a bonus. But the real bonus is the good size YFC, rare.

Boldfin wrote: Sounds like I missed a good time, but I couldn't pass up a chance to have brunch with the Hookjaws at LNL. I'll definitely join y'all next time.
Persistence, observation, and attitude are the keys to angling success. Nice job on the 'but W-nut.
Attitude is the most important, followed by observation, you gotta to be prepared, then persistence, never give up... success will soon follow. :wink:

City Dad wrote: I am not exagerating when I say that Wingnut caught that croaker as if on cue. I'm like "Well, you guys have fun throwing those Lucky Craft, I'm going back to my perch hole!" and then Arthur goes bendo. That was cool.
So, I'll make you a deal, Wingster. I'll go flyfishing with you if you promise to list my flies when you start setting tippet class records.
Ha! Ha! Yes, I promise when I pull that record Striper out of the surf, It'll be on one of your hand tied streamers. :wink:

Victor101 wrote: WOW Wingnut, you are gaining celebrity status lol. Thanks for the report and good job on keeping the saltwater surf reports alive!
There's been a lot of interests generated on surf fishing lately, let's keep it up! Thanks Dana, for planting the "Bug". :banana:

Fresssh wrote: Wingnut, I have been reviewing your post.... I wanted to know if we can meet in person so you can show me a thing or two. You can say I am ROOKIE in surf fishing. Please reply...
I'm just a "rookie" myself. My first surf fishing trip is with Dana on 11/13/07. I still remember that day clearly. I caught a BSP on my first cast into the surf and the "bug" was in me. Check out the "Surf Perch 101" sticky in this section. Loads of great information for you to get started. Get your gear together and just go out there. You will learn something new every time that you go out, with every cast and with every fish that you catch. Read some books and check out all the surf fishing reports here... it will tell you more than I ever can. Good luck! :D

Blackwater wrote: Nice job avoiding the Skunk once again!
Thanks for the report!
Another successful week eluding Mr. Stinky Phuong. You should of been out there with us Sunday buddy.

Fisherman57 wrote: Multi-species day for the Wing Man!..... congrats Arthur!
Always nice to ring up a Halibut at the end of the day!
Just got a call from one of our members ..... we need to head North soon!
Get any pics of CD working the flys?
Glad you're feeling better Dana.
I'm waiting on YOU buddy... the weather is great!
CD have already put his fly rod away when we met up with him. He was foaming at the mouth with all the Perch he was catching... then a bunch of swimmers trampled on his honey hole. :evil:

PONTOON wrote: Great report and pics Wingnut!
Note to self.....follow Dana and Wingnut North.
Thanks Terry, you are more than welcome to join us in the surf anytime! :mrgreen:

Sansou wrote: Congrats to all you guys!
Thanks Rich... I'm planning that La Jolla trip soon, you gotta help me pick the spots. :secret:

Native Gal
02-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Professor Wingnut and his students. :thumb: :thumb:
Sounds like your enrollment is a hot ticket, definitely worth the tuition.
The results speak for themselves.
Always enjoy your excellent reports and how you share the knowledge.
Keep up the good work and love the pixs as always.
Sounds like you might have a paparazzi following. :D

NG

TShaffer
02-24-2008, 10:04 AM
where do you fish?????? when ever you go out you seem to catch every fish on the beach!!! i cant remember the last time i caught a surf fish!!!!

ZenDragon
02-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Looks like yall had fun Wingnut! Nice fish report & pics. Keep up the great posts...

ZenDragon

clem de la clem
02-28-2008, 11:04 PM
i like i like....

awesome pix and great report.

gotta love it.

c

rotto84
03-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Looks like a great day of fishing, especially with a halibut to finish the day!

Wingnut
03-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Mleegal wrote: Professor Wingnut and his students.
Sounds like your enrollment is a hot ticket, definitely worth the tuition.
The results speak for themselves.
Always enjoy your excellent reports and how you share the knowledge.
Keep up the good work and love the pixs as always.
Sounds like you might have a paparazzi following.
Thanks NG, your kind words are always appreciated. :mrgreen:

TShaffer wrote: Where do you fish?????? when ever you go out you seem to catch every fish on the beach!!! i cant remember the last time i caught a surf fish!!!!
When was the last time you went surf fishing? ;) Time to give it another try!

ZenDragon wrote: Looks like yall had fun Wingnut! Nice fish report & pics. Keep up the great posts...
Thanks brother! :mrgreen:

Clen de la clem wrote: i like i like....
awesome pix and great report.
gotta love it.
:thumb: Thank you!

Rotto84 wrote: Looks like a great day of fishing, especially with a halibut to finish the day!
Yes, the perfect way to end any day in the surf is with a "Flat Boy". :D

olfishergal
03-01-2008, 01:04 PM
me thinks I'm gonna follow close behind this guy.....he fishes kinda close lol

Wingnut
03-01-2008, 01:10 PM
me thinks I'm gonna follow close behind this guy.....he fishes kinda close lol

OFG, got your waders yet? ;)
You gotta come out with Dana & I one of these days. :D

TroutChaser
03-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Great Job Wingnut!!!! Have you ever thought about coming up my way..Oxnard! I have several spots for you to try... I mean for you to catch..lol

I remember surfing summer days at zuma and seeing millions of YFC underneath me. I would run to the truck get the pole and paddle straight back out and just drop sandcrabs straight down. You could actually see the Croaker fight each other for the bait. They would be so aggresive and would ignore me completely. I would catch them up to 4 pounds but never kept any as I was told they have lots of DDT?

Wingnut
03-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Great Job Wingnut!!!! Have you ever thought about coming up my way..Oxnard! I have several spots for you to try... I mean for you to catch..lol

I remember surfing summer days at zuma and seeing millions of YFC underneath me. I would run to the truck get the pole and paddle straight back out and just drop sandcrabs straight down. You could actually see the Croaker fight each other for the bait. They would be so aggresive and would ignore me completely. I would catch them up to 4 pounds but never kept any as I was told they have lots of DDT?

That sounds totally sweet man! I'll send ya a PM the next time I head up there, thanks for sharing! ;) :mrgreen:

olfishergal
03-02-2008, 11:46 PM
OFG, got your waders yet? ;)
You gotta come out with Dana & I one of these days. :D

got my waders, now just waiting til payday to get my boots........99% ready lol

Wingnut
03-03-2008, 11:53 AM
got my waders, now just waiting til payday to get my boots........99% ready lol

Ha ha, Dana you hear that? OFG is "almost" ready to go! ;)