PDA

View Full Version : A whale of a time at Venice Pier- PICS ADDED!

gordo grande
02-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I had a very interesting morning yesterday. I felt like doing something different, so I got the old pier cart out, and headed down to Venice Pier. I hadn’t been fishing off a pier in about a year or so, and I wanted to practice some underhand casting, so off I went.

The weather was beautiful, and the pier was nearly empty. I got there about 9:30 AM, on the outgoing tide. I didn’t really expect to catch anything, I just wanted to relax and toss some iron without getting my feet wet.

It was slow, but after a while I spotted a couple of dolphins not more than 30 or 40 feet off the end of the pier, swimming by from left to right. It was about this time that I realized the batteries were almost dead in my Optio, and it was shutting itself off after about 20 seconds or so. No pictures of the Dolphins.

About five minutes later I was casting off the end of the pier toward the south, when I got a huge surprise. A gray whale burst out of the water about 50 yards in front of me! I shouted to everyone else on the pier, and sure enough, the whale immediately breached twice more. It was truly an awesome sight, but it was over so quick that I doubt if I could have gotten a shot off in time even if my camera had been working.

It gets better. Not more than four or five minutes later a Coast Guard Chopper comes tearing out of the Marina. He heads straight to the spot where the whale was just a few minutes before, and hovers about 50 above the water. About the same time a life guard skiff shows up coming down from the north.

OK, I don’t get this. What are they doing there? Did they know the whale was there? Were they trying to coax it back out to sea? The next thing I know, a diver jumps out of the chopper right where the whale had been.

It gets stranger. A few minutes later another diver dangles down from the chopper and hauls the first diver out. For the next fort-five minutes they take turns jumping in the water, and pulling each other out.

Were they there for the whale? Was the whole exercise planned in advance? Was it just a coincidence that they went to the same place?

My guess is that the were on their way out to train, heard about the whale, went to check it out, and then figured what-the-hell, they might as well have some fun and give the tourists a show.

I did finally figure out that I could turn the camera on and take a quick pic before it dies again. I'll post some pics of the chopper soon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/GordoGrande/Chopper02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/GordoGrande/Chopper01.jpg

cappo
02-08-2008, 09:04 PM
did you catch any fish???

one_leg
02-08-2008, 09:27 PM
This belongs in the Chopper reports section.

O_L

IN2DEEP
02-08-2008, 10:06 PM
This belongs in the Chopper reports section.

O_L

:bang: :bang: :bang: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Should we start one or just combine it with the clamming reports?

one_leg
02-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Hey Gordo, did you get to do any casting?

O_L

tacklejunkie
02-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Trippy story.
We saw some whales off of Point Magu once, and dolphins at BCSB.. but nobody ever jumped out to chase/inspect/annoy/direct them.

gordo grande
02-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Didn't catch any fish. Got one hit on the sabiki, but I think that was just a crab. Didn't even get to toss the iron. When I got out to the pier I discovered that I had raided my pier kit and stolen all the good lures for that trip I took on the Spitfire with you guys a few weeks ago. :-( When am I going to learn? I'm always raiding one tackle box to feed another.

one_leg
02-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Hey Gordo, check the rendezvous section for ghetto dads posts.
Hope you can join us again if you can get away for a while.

One_Leg

Greg Madrigal
02-09-2008, 09:47 PM
THAT THERE IS 1 WHALE OF A TALE!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I won't beleive ANY of this w/o pics :P .....Ok, I believe u now. :P

That woulda been great 2 see. Did it jump clear outta the water, or just break the surface as they normally do 2 breathe?

GM<><

gordo grande
02-11-2008, 01:11 AM
THAT THERE IS 1 WHALE OF A TALE!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I won't beleive ANY of this w/o pics &#58;P &#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;Ok, I believe u now&#46; &#58;P

That woulda been great 2 see&#46; Did it jump clear outta the water, or just break the surface as they normally do 2 breathe?

GM<><

It jumped pretty far out and then fell back in&#46; I wish to hell I had been able to get a pic of it, becaue it was pretty spectacular&#46;

gordo grande
02-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Hey Gordo, check the rendezvous section for ghetto dads posts&#46;
Hope you can join us again if you can get away for a while&#46;

One_Leg

Thanks, One Leg&#46; I did see the Spitfire trip coming up in a couple of weeks&#46; I guess it all depends on the wife&#46; She's been worried about money lately, and I usually end up spending a chunk of money, with the beers, burgers and jackot, etc&#46; I'll try to make it if I can&#46; I had a good time last time, and this time I'll show up with a bunch of chartreuse and orange scampis if I can make it! &#58;-)

pierrebear
02-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Had the same thing happen one night on Balboa pier one night a feww years ago&#46; The Grey whale swam so close, I could have hit it with a frozen anchovie&#46;

BBL2Baja
02-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Puddle Pirates have nothing better to do than chase whales&#46;

Shoulda been a Coastie&#46;&#46;&#46; &#58;wink&#58;

Later,
Scott

Wingnut
02-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Interesting&#46;&#46;&#46;
Cool, you got to see some whales! &#58;mrgreen&#58;

one_leg
02-13-2008, 05:14 PM
[quote="one_leg"&#58;2f690]Hey Gordo, check the rendezvous section for ghetto dads posts&#46;
Hope you can join us again if you can get away for a while&#46;

One_Leg

Thanks, One Leg&#46; I did see the Spitfire trip coming up in a couple of weeks&#46; I guess it all depends on the wife&#46; She's been worried about money lately, and I usually end up spending a chunk of money, with the beers, burgers and jackot, etc&#46; I'll try to make it if I can&#46; I had a good time last time, and this time I'll show up with a bunch of chartreuse and orange scampis if I can make it! &#58;-)[/quote&#58;2f690]

Gordo, you do know that you aren't required to eat, drink, and gamble on these trips?

Come along and catch some fish!

O_L