PDA

View Full Version : Kauai - Fresh or Salt??

DavidE
02-08-2008, 11:32 AM
My wife and I are planning a trip to Kauai and I have a decision to make. Do I fish Fresh for Peacock Bass (which I've never caught) or go deep salt for Wahoo, Marlin , Tuna, or any other fast swimmy kind?? I only have one day to fish so you can see my dilema.

What would you guys choose???

Ricky-Ray
02-08-2008, 12:45 PM
If it were me I would go saltwater. Lot more options on what to catch out there. Catching a big marlin or a cow tuna is definitely an experience you'll never forget.

DavidE
02-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Catching a big marlin or a cow tuna is definitely an experience you'll never forget.

Totally agree!! I haven't caught a cow yet but I have landed a 300#+ Blue Marlin. It's a hard choice. The peacock bass isn't very common and as far as I know this is the only place in the USA you can fish them. :bang: :bang:

misterBAITer
02-08-2008, 01:27 PM
What part of Kauai will you be staying at?

If you're staying anywhere near the Radisson Kauai Beach resort, there's a pond with some decent sized peacock bass, along with some tilapia. Check the link for the exact location.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=kau ... =addr&om=0 (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=kauai,+hi&ie=UTF8&ll=22.011576,-159.340339&spn=0.019774,0.043001&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr&om=0)

Fishing is perfectly legal there. Some locals were catching the tilapia by the bucket full and they're about the size of the ones you see live at your local asian fish market (i.e., 99 Ranch). I think I hooked several peacocks that weighed up to 3 pounds, not monsters like what you see coming out of the Amazon basin on a fishing tv show. But still fun on 6lb line.

sweetfish
02-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Why don't you do both. Morning go for the peacock and afternoon do the salt or vice versa.

DavidE
02-08-2008, 02:15 PM
What part of Kauai will you be staying at?

I don't know yet. We are planning on renting a condo for the week. I have a cousin that has been living there for like 30 years. Hopefully he'll have a buddy or will point us in the direction of a good guide.

I bet it would be fun to hook into them on light gear. I spent alot of time bass fishing when I lived in AZ so I know the thrill of Bass fishin and these would only add to it. And Tilapia are good eats!! Did you keep your peacock bass??

Thanks for the info ..

DavidE
02-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Why don't you do both. Morning go for the peacock and afternoon do the salt or vice versa.

I would love to but the boss won't let me :cry: We'll maybe after this Valentines Day she'll change her mind. Who knows??

Ambassadorhawg
02-08-2008, 07:46 PM
A tour guide on the island told my friend that there is SMB in the deeper pools of the waterfalls and creeks!!!

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
02-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I was on Maui over New Years and did some offshore fishing looking to catch either mahi mahi or ahi (tuna). I posted my trip in the Out Of State section. I don't think the ono (wahoo) will be around the islands this time of year with the cooler water, but the marlin, mahi mahi, and ahi (either big eye or yellowfin) will still be around. Have a great trip :thumb:
MAHALO

RL-IN-OC
02-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi, you didn't mention when you were going, from my experience, I've noticed the Peacock and SMB aren't too active until the spring/summer months. I have had pretty good luck in the summertime catching both bass in the fresh water rivers and the reservoir. I hired a guide both times. I wanted a pro to take me right to the spots. Offshore is usually pretty good most of the year, trolling or jigging around the FAD's. Again, we used a guide. Picked up some small tuna, and a nice Wahoo. We also have had good luck at the small boat harbor, off the rocks on the south side of the island. I usually stop by the Fishing Supply store in Lihue, around the corner from Hamuras Siemen, they can fill you in on whats working. We will be on the island, the first week in March, and hopefully be able to get some fishing in. Good Luck ! Aloha.

tacklejunkie
02-09-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't know anything about Kauai..
But when I was in Oahu, off the beach at the Waikiki Hilton, I did some snorkeling and was swimming amongst MANY different colorful fish. I'd imagine fishing the surf in Hawaii would be quite productive in itself.

I was not aware they had peacock bass. Only place I ever saw one of those was at the Sea World, San diego. :lol: They have a tank full of the mean lookin' monsters.

Anyways, I'm sure my info is of no help as usual. Have a good trip out there! We have enough sky miles for another free round trip, but not enough ends for the hotels etc. at the moment.
We might be going later this year. I'd love to get a line wet out there!

I wonder what you have to do as far as licensing and fishing laws.

Oz
02-09-2008, 07:38 PM
sweeeeeet kauai is an awsome island david...u will like it..i seen this one spot for some good fishing in this stream that leads out into the ocean. but i was only there once and didnt get to fish...i would just ask some local people out there where there are spots.

ok i remember we stayed in princeville which is north of the airport. u will go north west. so if u go past that area u will come to this one point where u go down a hill (its an windy road) and thats where the stream or whatever u wanna call it is. u pass over this one way bridge and the on the side of the road there are places to fish..theres just some thick grass u will have to deal with lol..the drive there is probally like an 1-1 1/2 hour tho.

chris
02-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Catching a big marlin or a cow tuna is definitely an experience you'll never forget.

Totally agree!! I haven't caught a cow yet but I have landed a 300#+ Blue Marlin. It's a hard choice. The peacock bass isn't very common and as far as I know this is the only place in the USA you can fish them. :bang: :bang:

they've been stocked at some lakes in florida.
also in texas but i don't know where in texas
good luck i hope to see some pictures

BIGRED KILLA
02-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Salt bigger fish=nicer fight.

DavidE
02-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi, you didn't mention when you were going, from my experience, I've noticed the Peacock and SMB aren't too active until the spring/summer months. I have had pretty good luck in the summertime catching both bass in the fresh water rivers and the reservoir. I hired a guide both times. I wanted a pro to take me right to the spots. Offshore is usually pretty good most of the year, trolling or jigging around the FAD's. Again, we used a guide. Picked up some small tuna, and a nice Wahoo. We also have had good luck at the small boat harbor, off the rocks on the south side of the island. I usually stop by the Fishing Supply store in Lihue, around the corner from Hamuras Siemen, they can fill you in on whats working. We will be on the island, the first week in March, and hopefully be able to get some fishing in. Good Luck ! Aloha.

We're looking to go in April/May but we may push it back until fall. This was kind of last minute thing so I don't know what the rates look like yet.

I definelty wanna hire someone. Could you forward me info on the guides you've fished with before?? Thanks in advance ...

Real good info, thanks! Good luck to you too in March!!

RL-IN-OC
02-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Here is the link to the Charter Service we use.
http://www.sportfishhawaii.com/charters.htm

We used Tom Christy for the Peacock trip, he used to charge the same rate for 1-2 people. you are at the mercy of the weather, the first year, it was nice, and were able to get to the reservoir, fishing was great. last year, flash floods and heavy rain the week before we got there kept us out of the reservoir, the earthen dam was unstable.
No love from the Peacocks, but plenty of action on the river with Juvy smb and lmb. If you are still trying to plan your trip, anytime before June 1st and after Aug 15th, seem to be the lower airfare, plus try to fly out on Mon, Tues, or Wed. Hope that helps !