PDA

View Full Version : Finally....back fishin! PVR 2/6/08

Sierra_Smitty
02-06-2008, 11:17 PM
For those of you that don't already know, I had back surgery in the latter half of December....unfortunate for me on a few levels but one of the biggest downers is that the winter is the time when I have the most free time to fish....doesn't really matter what I'm fishing for but I always fish. After 6 weeks of wasted fishing time spent recouperating I finally got to wet a line this afternoon.

Hit PVR with my brother Lane from about 1pm to 3pm. Fishing wasn't particularly on fire compared to some of my trips to PVR but it was good. We fished the dam...not the best spot on the lake IMO but seeing as the walk to my favorite spots is a bit far for my back right now, it was that or nothing. I started with a pearl mini-jig with an orange powerworm trailer and my brother started with a kastmaster. We both caught one fish during the first 1/2 hour or so. I eventually switched to just the powerworm and things started to heat up. Orange was the color working best for me but I also caught a few on pink. Red and Cheese color didn't do much. My brother was doing very well on natural powerworms and outfished me handily...he never switched colors once he put the natural on. We only caught three photo worthy fish but that was plenty enough for a short trip to the lake....and gave just the right scratch to my lingering fishing itch. We didn't count exactly how many fish we landed or nearly landed but it was probably around a dozen or so landed and maybe half that that popped off near shore. The three fish larger model fish we caught were all hovering between 2 1/2 and 3lbs, maybe a hair over. I will say that Lane caught a few nice fish well over a pound aside from the Alpers so the average size is certainly worth the effort for anyone else looking for someplace to fish this time of year. Hard fighters too...not sure what it is about PVR but even the average planter-sized 'bows are extremely scrappy.

I was the first one hooked up on a quality fish....
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/jrodhooked2-6-08.jpg

Here she was....a surprisingly beautiful DFG Brood Stock fish...with a tail even, nice!
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/jrodbrooder2-6-08.jpg

Lane's first quality fish..this one an Alper
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/lanealper12-06-08.jpg

And his second nice one.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/lanealper22-06-08.jpg

Our neighbors fishing just down the way from us caught a very nice 4+ lber and a stocker in about 30 minutes of fishing. We also heard some folks hollering from down the shoreline a ways around my favorite spot and from the sound of it they were experiencing wide open fishing on crawlers and PB and I heard the words "it's a brown!" more than once. I would venture to say that anyone willing to walk down to one of the various points would have had a heck of a fishing day.

Well...that's it for today...just felt gpod to be back out there casting a line.

Peace,
Smitty

britheguy
02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Way to go man! Nice to see a report from you! Great looking fish, great stockers.

aboos
02-07-2008, 12:49 AM
nice!!!

looks like pvr is still doing decent

steve092
02-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Good job man.
Sucks not fishing for a long time.

tpfishnfool
02-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Great looking fish !! Congrats on getting through your ordeal. Ice fishing south lake this spring ?

Beancounter
02-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Very cool... 8)
I was wondering what happened to your reports.
Glad to see that you're back and "up an at 'em"
Thanks for starting my morning out just right.
Take care.

one_leg
02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Jared, thanks for the report. Congrats to you both on the fish.

I'm looking forward to stopping off there on the way up the next time I visit you folks up there.

One_Leg

Trout-Slayer77
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
thanks for the report and pics....good to hear your back fishing again !! I'll be up there this weekend...hopefully ill be the guy saying "Its a brown" congrats to you and your bro on the nice fish !!

reelhigh
02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Nice job man, way to get back out there.

Sierra_Smitty
02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks fellas!

chris
02-07-2008, 11:02 PM
thanks for the report i can't wait tot get back up there

Mater
02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Looks like fun. I will be in Mammoth next week, where is PVR? Thanks.

Sierra_Smitty
02-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Looks like fun. I will be in Mammoth next week, where is PVR? Thanks.

PVR is short for Pleasant Valley Reservior....it's about 10 miles north of Bishop on your right hand side. It's open year around for trout fishing.

Mater
02-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks, I tired to google it but could not find the exit off the 395. When I get up there I'll ask around. :D :D

TroutOnly
02-09-2008, 01:15 PM
SMITTY YOU LAZY TURD ,YOU AND LANE FISHIN THE DAM,,LOL,,YOU GOT SOME NICE FISH I'LL SEND YOU A P/M ABOUT THAT AREA THREES A SPOT THAT ALWAYS HAS THE BIG ONES AND THEY ALWAYS LIKE THIS CERTAIN COLOR, ILL BE UP THERE REAL SOON ,AND I WILL DROP A LINE AND COME BY TO SEE THE BATHROOM DEAL IF IT STILL NEEDS FIXING,,,T/O,,, :D :D :D

fisherkid47
02-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the report, and nice fish. I'm heading up there again soon and I might do tubing at pvr. Do you know where a good place to launch is?

fisherkid

quik
02-09-2008, 01:20 PM
:thumb: Great job! I love it up there sorry to hear about the back, I too suffer from a back injury and it really limits things you can do. :(

Sierra_Smitty
02-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the report, and nice fish. I'm heading up there again soon and I might do tubing at pvr. Do you know where a good place to launch is?

fisherkid

There are two good places to launch your tube....near the inlet and about mid-lake by the old boat launch. In each case you'll have to carry your tube for a while.

Sierra_Smitty
02-10-2008, 08:55 AM
SMITTY YOU LAZY TURD ,YOU AND LANE FISHIN THE DAM,,LOL,,YOU GOT SOME NICE FISH I'LL SEND YOU A P/M ABOUT THAT AREA THREES A SPOT THAT ALWAYS HAS THE BIG ONES AND THEY ALWAYS LIKE THIS CERTAIN COLOR, ILL BE UP THERE REAL SOON ,AND I WILL DROP A LINE AND COME BY TO SEE THE BATHROOM DEAL IF IT STILL NEEDS FIXING,,,T/O,,, :D :D :D

Bathroom still needs fixein so let me know when you'll be up this way. I'll be out of town most of this coming week but will be back friday. PM me the spot by the dam that produces for you.....I'm all ears.

xtranzman
02-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Very nice. Sure makes me wish I was up there already. Hating having to wait till June....

X

Seatech
02-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Jared,

Way to go my friend!!

Glad to hear you are up and about again and getting in to some nice fish.

The boys are already talking about coming up again this summer. Sean is set to fully dam the river this year!!!

Keep the reports coming!

Ed

brn2fis
02-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Nice report and pic's Smitty, see you at the Fred Hall :banana: