PDA

View Full Version : FIRST TIME BUYERS BEWARE

devin828
02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
let me share my story with those who have not bought a boat but wants to one day my wife comes to me and says her best friend husband wants to sell their boat so we go to Hesperia and look at it the guy wants 4000.00 not a bad boat but it needs some work turns out to be a 19ft Beach Craft 4.3 motor with a OMC Cobra outdrive so I offer the guy 2500.00 plus he needs to deliver it to my home I told him this because I noticed that the tires were low and worn so I am thinking he would buy some new tire before transport ting it *WRONG* I low ball the guy cause 1st I didn’t take it to the lake for a test drive 2nd I didn’t take it to a shop to be check out *BOY WOULD I BE SORRY* so 3 days later I get A CALL FROM THE GUY I am coming down with the boat man I am jazzed about getting my very own boat I’ve been wanting a boat every since I was a little boy going fishing with my grandparents in Tulsa OK once upon a time I was going to buy a boat and then my wife gets pregnant pissssst there goes my boat so 8 years later this falls in my lap I am just so lucky I got 3500.00 sitting in my closet I was saving for a used boat in the recycler now I am using it for this *plus got money left over for repairs just in case I am thinking* so when the guy gets down here the boat looks great trailer looks like crap plus the guy says he had a blowout on the freeway which busted the rear tail light I look at the tires and he is riding on maypops so we get the boat in the driveway and it sits there for a week I can’t believe it I am out there every day looking at it so winter coming soon boat has no boat cover so down to West Marine I go 80.00 for a good cover while I am there I get a trailer light kit plus some extra clearance lights cost 100.00 labor 0 shame 2% I can’t wait long enough to get out on the lake so now I need a spare for the trailer this trailer already had passenger tires on it *so stupid me* I go to Good Year and get a spare tire that’s a passenger tire *Bad Mistake * trailer tires are special tires there is not alot of flex in the side walls compared to passenger tires found this little bit of info out the hard way so first chance I get I am heading to the lake Elsinore its the closest plus they have Max speed limit 40mph the ride out there was beautiful after 4 hours on the lake I looked at the gas gauge it’s on empty I am thinking maybe I could do one more run with it being WOT *Na I think I better head toward the ramp once at the docks I notice a lot of oil in bilge area plus water ok I am thinking got to go to the repair shop easy repairs not to costly well backing the trailer down the ramp once there Iam backing my trailer down to the water I notice one of my bunker boards comes off the frame got the boat on trailer it was pretty hard but it’s done get back on freeway heading back home all of sudden I hear some grinding noise and I see sparks coming from the back of the boat first thing I thinking it’s the outdrive must have fallen down somehow so I head toward the edge of freeway I look threw the corner of my eye to my left I see my tire, rim and hub bouncing ahead of me luck must have been on my side because it did not hit any cars so I call AAA had to order a flatbed cost me 450.00 shame 99.9% to have it towed from Corona first step to getting back on the water was to see what damage was there after a inspection I noticed the hub had been schreed completely off no lugs nuts on axle at all plus the U Bolts that held the leaf springs were gone from the trailer frane must be from dragging it on the ground and the trailer was bent in the back from the tow truck company he had to drag it on the flatbed which bent the very back of the trailer well off to West Marine 2 new hubs and barring buddies and U Bolt clamps for leaf springs labor done by me cost for parts 200.00 shame 10% well after I fix that had to take to trailer shop for bunker boards and bent frame cost 350.00 shame 20% the very next day I take it to the marine shop to fix the bigger stuff I can’t fix one day later I get a call from the shop oil pan rusted so bad there’s a pin hole leak in oil pan dip stick is leaking also transom seal leaks since the guy was already up in me for a grip I figure let’s do the works the motor and the outdrive I don’t want to come back for nothing outdrive overhauled and oils changed motor tuned up oil filter changed gas filter changed compression test done my highest compression 205 the lowest was180 hell I even got the gear cable changed slip out while I was out on the lake stuck in drive no reverse forgot about that cost 3200.00 shame down 30% I am lake ready well took it out to Castaic for 4 hours off the 150 cause cachuma was closed due to ramp resurfing o boy she ran like a champ shame 0% well a few weeks later I thinking got to go fishing again so I am going to try Irvine this Tuesday so I go out to run motor on Monday as a test run and for some reason the fuel pump goes out and the gear box stops trimming up and down well I call the shop again dropped it off on Tuesday 3 or 4 hours later the guy calls I need a new fuel pump and gear box cost 980.00 shame 60% the guy restates to me you really should not buy a boat unless you get it checked out like I need this guy telling me this crap so I get the boat back on Wednesday I am going fishing to Irvine on Friday so I figure if I go fishing every other week maybe it’s worth it well at least the kids will enjoy it they have been bugging me to take them out well I am thinking Lake Ellsinore on Saturday just riding so the kids could get a big kick out of it well here is some pictures of my BOAT which stands for Bring On Another Thousand let this be a lesson to those who can’t wait

devin828

sansou
02-06-2008, 09:13 PM
OUCH !!

...but on the upside, now at least you have a practically new boat!!!

eldo69
02-06-2008, 09:31 PM
man thats sucks, ya got a niceboat though

BIGRED KILLA
02-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Sorry to hear that boats are expensive and they have problems that story was like my dads story with his 28 foot skip jack but his is break out 50 thousand. :rofl: :cry:

Bigred

Fastfish
02-06-2008, 11:06 PM
I've said it b4 on here spend a little on a marine tech inspecting a boat b4 you buy I have always saved every person that I have inspected a boat for big time and a couple from major loss don't B in a hurry you'll truly regret it l8r.

Sorry to here of your experience,enjoy your ride

Lunker1979
02-07-2008, 12:00 AM
BUY A NEW ONE.......... :D

Santa Fe Eric
02-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Dude! Your story almost brought tears to my eyes!
Sorry for all of your struggles and losses!
Hopefully, the boat is in great shape and will bring you and your family years of pleasure.
Usually I'm a man of peace, but someone outta give the guy that sold it to you a kick in the family jewels! :nutkick: .

Eric

Brad100
02-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Sorry for all of your problems... BUT, you said it yourself... you looked for a boat on the cheap and didn't have it checked out! Results are not surprising.

Years ago when I was looking to buy a horse, an old cowboy gave me this advice:

Don't worry (within reason) about what you pay for a horse because it costs just as much to feed and maintain a bad horse as it does a good horse! So, pay extra up front and save youself a lot of grief... I think the same advice is true for boats also.

Hopefully, you've now got a good, solid boat for years of fun!

sonarbp
02-07-2008, 07:31 AM
You all know what B.O.A.T stand for right?

BRING OVER ANOTHER THOUSAND!!!!!!

flytyingreloader
02-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Devin--

I love the happy end to your story, but getting to that point was some heartache and upset in three dimensions.

After years of messing around with jonboats and skiffs, I decided that upon retirement I would get a decent boat for my wife and I to fish with. No blue-water stuff for us, just freshwater lakes and inshore salt. I thought the selection process would be easy.

Au contraire.

Used boats ranged from unappealing to scary. Most had carbed 2-stroke motors, a no-go for DVL and likely a lot of CA in the future. Decent used boats weren't a whole lot less money than new ones, and rather few and far between as well.

I started shopping in earnest about October 2006. A make that attracted my attention early-on was Triumph, owing to their hull durability and low-maintenance characteristics. I looked at A LOT of other boats, but the Triumph became sort of a "default setting" as time went on. So--tomorrow I take delivery of a new Triumph 170CC, the culmination of a lot of research and legwork--and fulfillment of a long-held dream.

Brad100
02-07-2008, 08:35 AM
So--tomorrow I take delivery of a new Triumph 170CC, the culmination of a lot of research and legwork--and fulfillment of a long-held dream.

My Triumph 195cc is 2 years old now and I've loved every minute!!! Congrats, you gonna luv dat boat!

devin828
02-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Here is the shots of everything new
if it shine
I bought it
See you @ Irvine on Friday

devin828

flytyingreloader
02-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks kindly, Brad.

I rolled the 195CC and 190 Bay ideas around some, but remembered some "launch ramps" in MT that barely fit my F-250 with car-top jon. 90% fresh, 10% salt.......seemed like the best for our uses.

Cap'n Ron
02-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Dude,,

Never Mind.

CR

Rooster
02-07-2008, 05:18 PM
I been down this road twice now. I feel for ya bro...

dooblehaul
02-08-2008, 07:31 AM
My heart aches for you and your 1st boat experience. Just a question- Why did you buy a beachcraft recreation boat and not strictly a fishing boat? (Family?) I've found that fisherman take better care of their boats than wakeboarders do...Just my 2 cents. Glad to hear your greif is finally over-but, you now have a rad boat!!!!

one_leg
02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Dude,,

Never Mind.

CR

:rofl: :bang: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :dedhorse:

One_Leg

Daryl
02-08-2008, 09:39 AM
That the guy would deliver the boat to you for $2500.00 makes me think he knew the boat and the trailer were in bad shape.

devin828
02-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks GUYS for stopping by to check out the threads

The guy was strapped for cash and I thought I was getting a deal compared to all the boats I seen in the Recycler plus the price of a new boat was 15 to 20 K

Well I got it now But the VERY NEXT BOAT i BUY WILL BE BRAND SPANKING NEW no matter how much it cost Ive learned my lesson for sure

Well I went to Irvine today the ride out there was great But guess what :cry:

Yea you got it :idea:

the F8cking trailer

one leaf spring broke on the right side man you would not belive the luck I got
I had to go to albertson fing a pallat and use the bottom portion of it ON my trailer it fell 2inc when the leaf spring broke I had to jack the frame up wedge the 3inch block under the axle on top of the spring and limp my boat home I think I will fix it myself every body out at the lake was catching trout I caught 1 catfish in the Flats on M M

Cap'n Ron
02-08-2008, 10:49 PM
DUDE!

No, Never Mind.

But DUDE!

I'm sorry, I'm at a loss for words.

one_leg
02-09-2008, 09:50 AM
every body out at the lake was catching trout I caught 1 catfish in the Flats on M M

Did you eat it, or is it living in your sink?

Glad you at least got a fish fro your troubles. Congratulations!!!

One_Leg

devin828
02-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Thats a good one

1leg

thanks for stopping by

got up this morning and took a survey of the mess

made a couple of call and KBOOM GOT PARTS

Cost 105.00
Labor 0 Done by me
Shame 0%

chris
02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
that was a great story. i bought a boat like that when i 20 i did half the repairs that should have been done and look back at it like WTF was i doing.

devin828
02-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks for stopping by Chris

Its like life we learn as we go

plus I didnt want to buy a brand new boat and tear it up
I had no boating or trailering exprence so I wanted a used boat that I could wreck
and it not cost me and arm and leg
Dont get me wrong I would buy a new boat in a minute NOW well maybee in a year or two
The money I spent is well worth it to me cause I can look out my window and see were my money is instead of throwing it on the stage or up in smoke

I am going fishing next week

devin828

Greg Madrigal
02-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Bummer of a story. Looks like u learned a valuable lesson tho.....I read your story with great interest, and I hafta say, the use of puncuation would have made it far easier to read. Try re-reading it yourself outloud and u may see what I mean! :offtopic:

Thanks for sharing though, because your point is a good one. DON'T rush into any boat! Do your homework, and you will save in the long run.

&#58;D GM<><

Cap'n Ron
02-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Cup of coffee, check&#46;
Flamethrower, check&#46;
Stand by,,,,,,

Dumbustard&#46;
Bought a boat without a survey&#46; Ouch&#46;
Actually, ya bought somebody else's nightmare&#46;

Then you dump more money into it and claim it's all good for a learning experience&#46;
Look at the name of your boat, Beach,,,,,

Then you haul it down the road on another POS trailer&#46; BEFORE CHECKING IT OUT!!!!!!!
Are you related to the other guy?

As for the guy that sold it to you&#46;
Good for him&#46;
P&#46;T&#46; Barnum proven right again&#46;

Some times ya just gotta know when to pull the plug,,,,

Now who's gonna make me laugh my *** off today?

Alpha
Mike
Foxtrot

devin828
02-10-2008, 09:37 AM
OOOO Cap &#58;x
Iam ready to drown myself &#58;banana&#58;

with a shopping trip at the Bass Pro Shop 8)

well at least Ive saved 1 or 2 people from living this life

As for you CAP &#58;evil&#58;

I could see If I didnt have the money and couldnt afford my stupid purchases yea they are STUPID but thats just it
I am
lucky
son of a
lets just say
I GOT THE
MONEY TO SPEND
every dollar spent is not every dollar saved

like they say
a
Fool and his money and if you dont have it to spend you wouldnt understand it &#58;secret&#58;

Well fellow fishermen & women Ive gotta go fishing see you on the lake
&#58;D

devin828 has left the form

Thanks
G Madrigal for stopping by yea my English is a little weak must slow down and read what I am wrighting
8)

Tail Chaser
02-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Bummer about some bad luck&#46;
Any used vehicles going to need some work&#46; More so when they were an ultra low price&#46;
Hopefully the big ticket items are out of the way&#46;
Now time for the preventive maintenance&#46;
All wheel hubs greased? No leaky inside wheel bearing hub seals&#46;
All trl bunk boards good&#46; No rotting, Rusted bolts?
Wire brush rust on trl&#46; Repaint&#46;
Oil change in outdrive,power steering, hydraulics, etc
Clean all electric connectors, Dielectric grease in all electronic plugins, Battery terminals, etc
Good luck, With your new boat&#46; Looks clean&#46;
Fixing up boats is fun,
Repairing broken boats really sucks

WOW! Just looked at the rest of the reports&#46; OUCH! Actually thought your boat ended up in the drink at first&#46;
Pick up a repair manual&#46; Most stuff is easy to fix&#46; Beats paying 100&#46;00 for a mechanic&#46;
Also check online for parts, And shop around for a good/fair mechanic in advance of any repairs to be done&#46;
Buying and upkeep on a first boat is a learning experience&#46;
Glad I bought my used 26'er (First boat) for 16k in 04&#46; Beat paying 83k for a new one&#46;

Tail Chaser
02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Cup of coffee, check&#46;
Flamethrower, check&#46;
Stand by,,,,,,

Dumbustard&#46;
Bought a boat without a survey&#46; Ouch&#46;
Actually, ya bought somebody else's nightmare&#46;

Then you dump more money into it and claim it's all good for a learning experience&#46;
Look at the name of your boat, Beach,,,,,

Then you haul it down the road on another POS trailer&#46; BEFORE CHECKING IT OUT!!!!!!!
Are you related to the other guy?

As for the guy that sold it to you&#46;
Good for him&#46;
P&#46;T&#46; Barnum proven right again&#46;

Some times ya just gotta know when to pull the plug,,,,

Now who's gonna make me laugh my *** off today?

Alpha
Mike
Foxtrot Hey Ron,
Ive noticed my lower shift cable attachment has been worn maybe 1/2 way through for maybe two seasons now&#58;roll&#58; &#58;roll&#58;
If I don't replace it soon&#46; Maybe you will be reading a post by me&#46; How I was returning to the boat ramp, Tryed shifting into Neutral/Reverse&#46; The shift cable broke&#46; Then my boat proceeded straight into the back of a shamrock pilot house&#46; &#58;bang&#58;
Very Funny Stuff, Don't Ya Think &#58;lol&#58; &#58;lol&#58;

devin828
02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Rolling Rolling Rolling

See you @ Irvine Tommorrow
&#58;lol&#58;

devin828[attachment=1&#58;17b17]MVC-001S&#46;JPG[/attachment&#58;17b17][attachment=0&#58;17b17]MVC-002S&#46;JPG[/attachment&#58;17b17]

Cap'n Ron
02-12-2008, 06:13 AM
BR,
Put some big frickin bumpers on the front of yer rig&#46;
Ramming tactics at the launch will be dealt with swiftly by armed deckhands&#46;

But on the light side BR, I have a funny feeling that if something is wrong on YOUR rig, YOU will fix it before endangering any others on the road or in the wet stuff&#46; Just remember to tap the brakes slowly on yer approach to the dock, I don't think yours has anti locking brakes on her&#46;

Tight lines

CR

Fis-on
02-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I feel for you&#46; I have been in this position before and it is not fun&#46; Now, any boat that comes to my house has the motor pulled and freshened, the out drive/jet serviced and the trailer bearings checked&#46;
Someone said it before; working on boats is fun, but fixing boats sucks!

With that being said; I have to comment on some of the posts responding to your problems&#46; It has become painfully obvious to me that there is a muriad of people on here who must lurk around waiting for the opportunity to climb on thier soap boxes&#46; Are we to believe that all of these people on here are perfect? Never making a bonehead or uninformed decision? From buying used boats to DFG regulations&#46; A tip or heads up is one thing, but the excessive admonishment really grinds my gears&#46; To many of the threads on this board seem to turn into one big **** off&#46;

Tail Chaser
02-12-2008, 09:56 PM
BR,
Put some big frickin bumpers on the front of yer rig&#46;
Ramming tactics at the launch will be dealt with swiftly by armed deckhands&#46;

But on the light side BR, I have a funny feeling that if something is wrong on YOUR rig, YOU will fix it before endangering any others on the road or in the wet stuff&#46; Just remember to tap the brakes slowly on yer approach to the dock, I don't think yours has anti locking brakes on her&#46;

Tight lines

CR Hey Ron,
Got a real good fluke anchor hanging on the bow pulpit&#46; Makes for a real good bumper &#58;mrgreen&#58; And I'm fully armed with TADY 45s&#46; &#58;twisted&#58; &#58;lol&#58; Actually, My trl has anti lock brakes&#46; Drum brakes work so poorly on a 9k boat that no matter how hard I get on the brakes, That trl wont lock up &#58;roll&#58;&#46; Never have got on them hard though&#46;The surge brakes with a manual trans tow vehicle works pretty good&#46; On the big downhills, usually have to feed in a little throttle to keep from slowing down&#46; Ive heard disk brakes get so hot you can cook the hub seals&#46;
Its the wet brakes leaving the ramp that's creepy&#46; Riding the brakes a bit getting them dried up asap before you need them&#46;
That worn shift cable I've packed with grease after seeing it&#46; 2yrs ago&#46; No more wear&#46;
Changing it out anyway&#46;
Preventive Maintance is fun&#46; Repairs just flat out suck
Cant wait till the big fishys come back

&#46;

Tail Chaser
02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I feel for you&#46; I have been in this position before and it is not fun&#46; Now, any boat that comes to my house has the motor pulled and freshened, the out drive/jet serviced and the trailer bearings checked&#46;
Someone said it before; working on boats is fun, but fixing boats sucks!

With that being said; I have to comment on some of the posts responding to your problems&#46; It has become painfully obvious to me that there is a muriad of people on here who must lurk around waiting for the opportunity to climb on thier soap boxes&#46; Are we to believe that all of these people on here are perfect? Never making a bonehead or uninformed decision? From buying used boats to DFG regulations&#46; A tip or heads up is one thing, but the excessive admonishment really grinds my gears&#46; To many of the threads on this board seem to turn into one big **** off&#46;
Ive noticed its a pattern in the winter when the fishing really sucks&#46;
This year we actually had a winter&#46; So people could not get out on the water&#46; &#58;evil&#58;
Tips and imfo you can gather on forums/internet can be great&#46;

Cap'n Ron
02-13-2008, 03:15 AM
Hey BR,
I meant the water brakes on yer boat&#46; Don't tell me you don't have them!
And Tady 45's are packing light&#46; My boarder repellers starts off at 12g down to a hull busting 7&#46;62

And if you drop that anchor just right, you can dump it in my tow pin locker and I can drag you around the marina behind the Shammie for a scenic 3 hr cruise&#46;

My Dually seems to do just fine when it comes to stopping my boat and remember it's not how fast you can pull it, it's all about braking power&#46; Besides my trailer tires are only rated for 60 MPH&#46;

Maintnence over repairs any day of the weak&#46;

Now go out and check the water brakes on the boat and make sure they work&#46;
If you can't find em let me know and I'll post a pic of mine&#46; Can't believe YOU would have a boat without em!

CR

one_leg
02-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Do I detect a hint of rust on that tow pin Cap'N Ron?&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;LOL

One_Leg

Tail Chaser
02-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Hey BR,
And Tady 45's are packing light&#46; My boarder repellers starts off at 12g down to a hull busting 7&#46;62

And if you drop that anchor just right, you can dump it in my tow pin locker and I can drag you around the marina behind the Shammie for a scenic 3 hr cruise&#46;

My Dually seems to do just fine when it comes to stopping my boat and remember it's not how fast you can pull it, it's all about braking power&#46; Besides my trailer tires are only rated for 60 MPH&#46;

If you can't find em let me know and I'll post a pic of mine&#46; Can't believe YOU would have a boat without em!

CR Hey Ron,
Never heard of water brakes on a boat&#46;
My brakes consist of approaching ramp slowly&#46;
Drift along dock in neutral&#46; If shift cable didn't break &#58;shock&#58; (Could still shift from the engine)
Hopefully have wind pushing me along/into the dock&#46; If done properly, Can just step off the boat without throwing it into reverse&#46; The high freeboard my boat has can be a pain in the *** with a single screw and the wind blowing wrong direction&#46; Maybe thats why everyone else brings along a boat HO Grabbing the dang dock lines&#46;
That pic is a water brake? Looks like they went over kill on the water drain for your fish hold &#58;mrgreen&#58; Inboards are nice&#46; With no slow speed rudder and very little reverse response&#46;(from what ive read)
Thats why they put in the oversize drain&#46; Open up the through hull valve, filling the boat full of saltwater water creating drag slowing the boat down I would think tying a rope to One Leg, Then throwing him overboard would create the same drag effect&#46; &#58;mrgreen&#58; By not letting the seawater in the boat would also cure your rust problems &#58;mrgreen&#58; &#58;banana&#58;
Out where I live in Acton&#46; The 14 fwy has long huge grades&#46; Having a 400hp/850 tq diesel pu&#46;
Keeps me humming along 65mph on the big uphills&#46; No concern of getting rear ended and im out of the way of semi trks&#46;

I just looked at the pic again&#46; Its a tow pin/porta poti&#46; No wonder theres no drinking on board&#46; That tiny pisser sure would fill up fast &#58;pee&#58; &#58;dogpiss&#58; &#58;rofl&#58;

Cap'n Ron
02-13-2008, 03:18 PM
[quote="Cap'n Ron"&#58;4b33d]Hey BR,

CR Hey Ron,
Never heard of water brakes on a boat&#46;
My brakes consist of approaching ramp slowly&#46;
Drift along dock in neutral&#46; If shift cable didn't break &#58;shock&#58; (Could still shift from the engine)
Hopefully have wind pushing me along/into the dock&#46; If done properly, Can just step off the boat without throwing it into reverse&#46; The high freeboard my boat has can be a pain in the *** with a single screw and the wind blowing wrong direction&#46; &#58;bang&#58; Maybe thats what boat HO's are for&#46; Grabbing the dang dock line&#46;
That pic is a water brake? Looks like they went over kill on the water drain for your fish hold &#58;mrgreen&#58; Inboards are nice&#46; With no slow speed rudder and very little reverse response&#46;(from what ive read)
Thats why they put in the oversize drain&#46; Open up the through hull,filling the boat full of water creating drag slowing the boat down &#58;lol&#58; &#58;lol&#58; I would think tying a rope to One Leg, Then throwing him overboard would create the same drag effect&#46; &#58;roll&#58; &#58;mrgreen&#58;
Out where I live in Acton&#46; The 14 fwy has long huge grades&#46; Having a 400hp/850 tq diesel pu&#46;
Keeps me humming along 65mph on the big uphills&#46;
Then hope the LA folks dont make me have to stop to fast &#58;evil&#58;

Just looked at the pic again&#46; Its a tow pin&#46; Shuld make Vessel assist job much easyer &#58;lol&#58;[/quote&#58;4b33d]

BR,
Quit pulling my leg, Water Brakes&#46; For the boat not the trailer&#46; Sheesh&#46; That's how we can get slow rudder and reverse control&#46; C'mon don't tell me you've never heard of em&#46; As for One_legging it behind my boat, I don't think it would stay on a steady course with him corkscrewing behind me&#46; As for your lack of horsepower on yer truck,I feel your pain bro, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it&#46; Maybe I can find ya a turbo rig for some more horses&#46; Make it a package deal and get the discount for the waterbrakes and the turbocharger&#46; I might even install it all for ya&#46;

Let me know yer thoughts on that one&#46;

Tail Chaser
02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
All the cummins powered diesels have turbos&#46; Im maxed out for SAFE towing and im getting 20mpg empty&#46; Bigger injecters would put me at 450 rwhp&#46; Need to watch the exhaust gas temps way to close with that setup&#46; Is your little perkins turbo charged?
To bad your little prop small rudder inboard would act so negetively pulling One Leg around&#46;
My big proped sterndrive could pull O&#46;L&#46; around all day&#46; Use him as a splasher/teaser&#46; Even running a saltwater trolling feather off his toe&#46;&#46;
To bad this setup wont work for the up coming WSB season&#46; &#58;roll&#58;
Ive never looked closely at a inboard powered boat&#46; So no, ive never seen water brakes&#46; Guessing they work like trim tabs that drop down more vertical creating lots of drag in the water&#46; Same principle as airbrakes/flaps on a plane&#46;

Ive said about all I can say without being a *** back at you&#46; &#58;nutkick&#58;

Cap'n Ron
02-13-2008, 04:15 PM
I think the OL on the kite would be better, keeps him outa my spread and I can leave the AP alone&#46;
You gotta keep yours plugged in in the cold weather up there?

So I'll take that as a no on the TC&#46; How bout the waterbrakes? Set ya up with a pair and we can give ya the FNN discount&#46;

Tail Chaser
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
When I know its going to 28 degrees or more&#46; I have a portable cabin heater I put in the bilge&#46;
I have no idea what the water brakes look like&#46;

Cap'n Ron
02-13-2008, 04:33 PM
I'll get the specs to ya&#46;

Dang, didn't know them Cummins had a bilge on em&#46;

Tail Chaser
02-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Figured you were talking about freezing conditions Ron&#46; Ive only plugged in the block heater twice in 11 yrs owning that truck&#46; Back when new&#46; Forgot it even had one&#46; No concern with the cold&#46; Truck fits mostly into the garage&#46; If left outside I would plug it in&#46; Just so things would be a tad bit warmer for start up&#46;

The boat I get concerned about&#46; 30 gal water tanks on board&#46; What water is left in the engine,outdrive,water heater,etc&#46;
Last winter had a really bad deep freeze&#46; Fair amont of cracked engines&#46; So many people pipes froze and broke that Lowes/Depot had just about run out of pvc water pipe&#46; Plugging in a little cabin heater in the bilge on the boat must be keeping everything toasty enough&#46;
My boat repower will be a 383ci 325 hp EFI engine&#46; Or a simpler carb version rated at 400hp Fresh water cooled&#46; Not much concern with the winters after that&#46;
Hard to imagine anything surviving up in Montana

Cap'n Ron
02-14-2008, 04:31 AM
Up on the farm we park everything inside the heated workshop/garage/office&#46; Drains in the floor and a warm water washdown&#46;
I put a 25 watt light bulb in my engine compartment when it gets chilly down here just to avoid any freeze on the boat&#46;

Have not had to plug the truck in&#46; Glow plugs are working just fine&#46;

Quit smoking cigs over two weeks ago, no cheating&#46; Cold Turkey&#46;

CR

Tail Chaser
02-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Good job on quitting smoking&#46;
Ive heard the lightbulb is very popular&#46; Never tryed it in fear of not enough heat&#46; Good to know 25w is plenty&#46;
Setting my cabin heater at low 500 w&#46; Trips my GFI to often in the boat&#58;shock&#58; Sucks to wake up to a 25 degree morning&#46; Check on the boat to find out the heaters not on&#46; GFI tripped again&#46; So in the extreme cold North West country 25watt bulbs is all it takes to keep motors from freezing?
I run synthetic oils in all my stuff&#46; Flows down below -50 Flash points up at 460F+
Delo 400 was best in dino oil&#46; Turns out 15/40 diesel motor oils are best for gas engines&#46;A must for older flat tappet camshaft motors&#46;Very important additives were taken out of S grade gas oils&#46; the C grade diesel oils have the metal protectant additive&#46;Racing oils have all the additives&#46;
So out with the amsoil 20/50 racing syn in the boat&#46; And in with the amsoil 15/40 marine syn diesel oil&#46;&#46;
My cummins plug in heats the water jackets around the oil filter&#46; Also has a intake heater for cold starts&#46;
And a fuel filter heater to keep from gelling&#46; Diesel fuel use to gel at 22 degrees&#46; Who knows now with the junk were forced to run&#46;
I think I have to much time on my hands&#46; &#58;roll&#58; Good thing the writers strike is over&#46;
Soon be back to work wondering why I didn't get my boat prepped for Butt/WSB season &#58;bang&#58;

Cap'n Ron
02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
BOAT BRAKES!
With a pair like this on the Shammie
Everybody slows down&#46;

Tail Chaser
02-14-2008, 04:51 PM
So that's what boat brakes are&#46;
Ive got a really heavy Duty set&#46;
They don't seem to be working very well though&#46; &#58;roll&#58;
Heard you really like servicing the HD stuff Ron&#46;

Cap'n Ron
02-14-2008, 06:23 PM
OK,
I deserved that&#46;

But Jeesh, planing off with that package has to be a b*tch!!

Tail Chaser
02-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Ive gone so long with none operating boat brakes for so long&#46;
Ive mastered the boat handling skills needed without them&#46;
I'll just give you my HD units&#46;
Just keep them well serviced and feed&#46;
They will keep you happy for many,many boating seasons to come&#46; &#58;banana&#58;

Cap'n Ron
02-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Heck of an offer BR, but I'll have to pass on the HD units for now&#46; I know my freezers just can't hold enough to sustain them two&#46; Don't get me wrong, I do like big butts, but only on boats and trucks&#46;

CR

one_leg
02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Barbie twins!!!

WARRIORMIKE
02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
AHHHHH, The two happiest days of owning a boat&#46; The first day you buy it, and the day you sell it&#46; &#58;wink&#58;

Wildhorse1966
02-18-2008, 11:48 PM
AHHHHH, The two happiest days of owning a boat&#46; The first day you buy it, and the day you sell it&#46; &#58;wink&#58;

that is a quote that is for people who never should have bought the boat in the first place &#46;&#46;&#46; i have had 6 boats and only 1 of them was i more happy the day i sold it then the day i bought it &#46;&#46;&#46; and i learned a lesson on that sale &#46;&#46;&#46; other then that i have always had a great time on my boats &#58;banana&#58;

fishfinder
02-21-2008, 10:30 PM
B reak
O ut
A nother
T housand

Any-one buying a used boat might want to try inland boats in perris. I bought mine there and they sell lots of used boats there and give you a bow to stern warranty for 30 days, so if there is anything wrong with it you can get it fixed for free. Also they take you out to lake perris and let you test it as long as you want.
I did have a few minor issues i was not aware of when i bought the boat and they put in new parts.
Love my boat and still spent over a thousand on extras for it.

Cap'n Ron
02-22-2008, 07:52 AM
that is a quote that is for people who never should have bought the boat in the first place ... i have had 6 boats and only 1 of them was i more happy the day i sold it then the day i bought it ... and i learned a lesson on that sale ... other then that i have always had a great time on my boats :banana:

Actually,

The happiest day,

of the year was around Ice Out, when CorrectCraft brought us the new Tow Boat for the year. They had to deliver it cause we didn't have DL's. I was 14. At Ice Out we would ski and foot til we had to go to cl*** and then again after school. In the summer we footed and skied all day. Practicing for the weekend Show and or Tourney. We did it all, slalom, trick ski's, Jumps, Canoe paddles, Kites, pyramids, Barefootin was my specialty. Our best sponsor was our Fuel Guy, he owned an Auto Parts Store/Fuel Station/Home delivery service. Back before the Oil Embargo, he never blinked an eye when we would call for the truck to bring out a couple hundred gallons a week. When gas went nuts, he asked us to pay a portion of the bill out of our winnings/show money. That hurt.

The saddest day for us,

was when we lived in the cold country and around November everything would freeze up. While still in school, we could not pack it up and head down to Tommy B's place in Florida.
So we got creative behind snowmobiles. Trick ski's and jump ski's worked best.

So, for every boater it's a different dealio. I'm done with the go fasts and fuel burners.
I'd rather tow it, than park it wet at a marina.
I like the performance, reliability, easy maintenance and ride in my boat of choice.

I can still Barefoot to this day. Just keep it under 50 mph and in a straight line.

SAFETY First!
Attend some cl***es at the Aux.
Know your boat. Get a safety Inspection by C.G.
7 P's

CR

Cap'n Ron
02-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Why would c l a s s e s be *** out?

CR