PDA

View Full Version : If I Was To Get One Salt Combo

BakoBassin
02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
What would be a good all around way to go? Something that's versatile and can be used in many situations.

When I finally get down there, I'd like to be as self sufficient as possible.

Nessie Hunter
02-06-2008, 02:43 PM
What would be a good all around way to go? Something that's versatile and can be used in many situations.

When I finally get down there, I'd like to be as self sufficient as possible.

Where?????

Tough question with out a little more info on What you will be fishing, 1/2 day. 3/4 day, 2 day or more, 5 day or more, Cabo etc etc.. From Calico to Marlin & tuna is a big jump....

sansou
02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Just rent a rod until you figure out what you want to do....

BakoBassin
02-06-2008, 02:58 PM
More than likely just local/island. Something that's right in the middle. Light enough to still have fun with the bass yet enough backbone to handle yellows. Good for throwing swimbaits and maybe some iron, also bait.

I know it's not necessary to have a pole for every different application. I used to handle my own on just a couple of set-ups back when I was younger. I'd do everything mentioned above with those two.

I hear ya on that rental Sansou. I'd rather know what I'm working with though. I've been offered loaners from a couple people here as well.

k3vin_kim
02-06-2008, 03:13 PM
I'd recommend a good inshore rod (Shimano Teramar or Seeker Blue Lightning) fitted with a sealine 20 or 30 spooled up with 15-20LB test. It'll be fun for the bass and still land you a YT.

migfrias
02-06-2008, 03:30 PM
calstar 270 (7') with a diawa sl20 or newell 220 reel ---------great for 12-20lbs line. Flyline, splitshot or egg sinker with chovies, squirts or deans and dropper loops with up to about 2oz weights would not be a problem. It will service as a good inshore rod (sport coat and sand bass) as well as a good light offshore rod. tried and tested

miguel

Ricky-Ray
02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
If I had to get one setup and price didn't matter, Calstar 800m or the Super Seeker 270H along with an Avet SX. If price really didn't matter then I would spend a few more bucks and get the 2 speed version just because :). That or an Accurate 270.

Ricky-Ray
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
If your on a budget, there are some pretty good 7ft Sabre rod's that go on sale at Big 5 every now and then. That with something like a Penn 500 jigmaster you should be able to get the entire setup for $100 bucks or less. Check out some of the tackle shops like Baja Fish Gear or Sav-on Tackle. I've seen them have similar combo's for anywhere from $80-$150 depending on the rod and reel.

If you can hold off the Fred Hall Show is coming in March and they usually have some killer deals on 20/25# setup rigs.

flopps1
02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
If money is not an issue...Shimano TN16N matched with a G-Loomis Palegic rod...Sraight mono or load it with spectra depending on the fish you are going after.

Wildhorse1966
02-07-2008, 07:24 AM
i would get a Diawa Luna paired with a Loomis Pro blue pbr843 or if you want something a little stiffer i would get the pbr844

i have this setup and it has proven to be a great setup for all around use

DavidE
02-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Daiwa Saltist 30H with a Seeker 670. Narrow reel so good for iron and plastics. Smooth enough for bait. Back it with spectra so you can change up the top shot and fish a variety of lines. For example 40# for irons, 30 for plastics and bait, 20 if the fishies are line shy .... just my :2cents:

baybassboy
02-08-2008, 09:34 PM
if i were forced to throw away all but 1 saltwater setup, here is the one i would keep

Shimanno Calcutta 400TE matched on a Shimano Crucial Extra Heavy Swimbait Rod (CRC711XH) with 20-25lb Berkely Big Game line...*

i fish coastal (Huntington to Dana Pt.) on average 2 times a week and thins guy goes with me everywhere... granted it could just as easily be used to throw huddlestons all day out on the lake, but i like versitility...

i have used this EXACT setup to throw swimbaits (3in - 7in salt / 6in - 12in fresh), surface iron (Tady A1 Light - Tady 45), bait (pinheads - minimacs), cranks, blades, poppers, everything i can think of (except YoYo iron)... i pulled this out down in East Cape to catch some pargo and hooked a 60lb yellowfin... an hour and 15 minutes later, i came out on top (very, very tired)... don't believe me, i'll send you the videos...

i dont like to fish it with spectra since i have the fear of that knot going through the guides hundreds of times a day (fishing plastics), but have never had any problems with straight mono... the rod is sensitive enough to feel the little rat calicos, and i am confident enough in turning anything i tie into here in socal (granted a good yellow would give me a test)

Calcutta 400TE - $340
Crucial Swimbait Rod - $150

so ur looking at a little over $500 after tax, but it is more than worth it given that you can use it as a salt/fresh crossover

PM me with ANY questions... i know i don't post here too often anymore, but i would love to give you any more info you need

*although it sounds like i am advertising for shimano, i really am only a fan of a few of their levelwind reels and casting rods... if you are looking for an open face reel, i highly recommend Avet (flawless craftsmenship and super easy to maintain)

Daus
02-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Go with a 7 or 8 foot rod. Preferrably an 8 footer if you plan on casting some of the time. If you can spend a little money without breaking the bank, go for a calstar 800L and a torium 16. If you can spend more money, then get a custom wrapped rod with silicon guides. It's my opinion that you should spend little more (within reason) and get quality gear ONCE rather than ending up spending more money in the long run when you keep upgrading your gear. Good luck in whatever you decide to purchase.

BakoBassin
02-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

mrjonez
02-14-2008, 01:39 PM
loomis rod and sealine 20 with 20lb line. im a fan of the sealine reels. cheaper and pretty good.

BakoBassin
02-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Hey mrjonez,

I actually have a brand new Sealine in the garage. It has a level wind on it though. Also not sure what model. I used it once for about five minutes in a wide open yellowtail bite about 8 years ago. Hooked up on one and the line snapped. Some cool dude handed me his set-up and told me go for it.

sansou
02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Bako,

Just made a couple pit stops at a few tackleshops this afternoon. If you are going the Sealine route....

I noticed the new Sealine-X's (meaning the new handle and gearing ones) were actually cheaper at Big 5 than all 3 tackleshops I visited here in SD!!!!! (by $10, at $109). Your best bet, that I know of so far, is to get it on Charkbait.com where they will charge you $119, but for a very minimal cost they will spool it up with your choice of line/spectra. Keep in mind Spectra is very expensive.....which is why I think it's a good deal.

Pair that up with a 7 fter or greater optimized for around 25# to 30#, and I think you have a versatile & economical YT to shallow Rockcod setup. Buy a cheap knockoff or a used decent brand, and you can save tons of $$ until you figure out exactly what style you really like and plunk down several hundred dollars for just one setup. Everyone has different tastes in fishing style. Just my 2 cents trying to save you a buck...

Then again, I just think if you rented a couple times and got back into the "saltwater mode", you might change your mind completely and buy something a little more "upper-end", not that anything is wrong with Daiwa Sealines (which IMO, cast just as smooth as an Avet).

BakoBassin
02-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Sansou.