PDA

View Full Version : fnner's- opinion on a fishfinder/gps

lubemanone
05-08-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm shopping for a finder/gps set up. I need your experienced opinions on were to shopp and what to look for. I have 200.00 to 300.00 to spend.
I would like to purchase something as 'Idiot Proof' as possible, I want to spend more time looking for fish than figuring out how to adjust & tweak the unit. I would like a color display.
I have no clue on the specifics :D or most important aspects of a finder/gps unit. I would greatly appreciate your guidence.

labboss2003
05-09-2007, 12:41 AM
200-300 aint much for a combo (new anyways) i shoped around quite a bit ended up buying a 957c humminbird from cabellas and its really idot proof liked that one because of the screen size the only problem is that the charts it was loaded with where basic ended up shelling out another 200 for the platinum navtronics sd card but it was worth it makes it easy to study the bottom changes to find those hot spot in fresh or salt
looked at the lowrance line and found if you want to shell out 2+grand youll get the same size screen as the bird
check out bass pro shops or cabellas online stores they have many to choose from if you find one model or something close to what you want and dont want to shell out the 1000 + then look on e-bay or craigslist but the only problem with a used unit is chances are it wont come with all the stuff you need to install the upside is lowrance and humminbirds web sites have downloadable owners manuals 4 free

good luck to you i know i went half crazy trying to figure out what to buy but like i said i couldnt be more happier with my humminbird.......Bob

ghetto dad
05-09-2007, 07:48 AM
i would recommend this
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/1690330D.jpg

lubemanone
05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks Labboss2003,

I really appreciate your response,I think that the one you have is right for me. I m' famillar with the brand name Hummingbird at least Ive seen them alot on the boats out on the lakes and it seemd to be a standard out on the lakes. My biggest problem in researching the units as well as my request for some help.Is that I googled fishfinders and did about 2 hours of scoping out the various choices out there as you know a bunch of stuff came up. So I started reading up on all the models for instance hummingbird theres at least 10 different units, in ten different varations of features as well as features that I not sure that I need . So the unit you have I think is the one I want,

Brad100
05-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey - My Bass Pro Shop catalog just came in the mail today... there are quite a few fishfinders at less than $300. Check out basspro.com

Good luck.

Fish Dog
05-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I had a Raytheon and it sucked (which is kinda scary since they are a major defense contractor)...spent the extra bucks and got a Furuno and it works great. Maybe the cheaper ones would be ok in fresh water but if your going any depth in the salt you need a quality depth finder. As for a GPS I just use a hand held Garmin but the Furuno depth finder lets me interface with the GPS and I can get all the GPS info on my depth finder screen. As for accuracy, the GPS puts me on the spot every time. A good example is the 14 mile bank. Obviously you can't see it because it's just a high spot on the ocean bottom but I'll bring up the numbers for the 14 mile bank on the GPS and as I pull up on the location indicated by the GPS I'll look at the depth finder and I can see the bottom coming up right where it should be. Save up and get a good one or you'll probably end up not being happy and replacing it like I did.