PDA

View Full Version : Rod Lengths Used Fishing From Pontoon Boat

Ghost
02-03-2008, 07:59 PM
I pretty much feel that a 7' spinning rod is the best length to use. Also a baitcast rod in 6'10"-7'6" are good lengths also. I used my shorter rods in 6'6" & 6' & felt that the shorter lengths were a bit hard to pass in front of the front pontoons. I nearly ran some hooks on the side of the pontoon when I'm reeling in a lure w/ a shorter rods. The longer rods I can reel in a lure or fish & don't feel that the sides of the pontoon will get hooked or spined.

Only dilemma when using longer rods is when you have to bring in a fish close to you, you have to push some of that rod length to the back of your pontoon & have to make sure it's on your pontoon or the rod & reel will be going in the water.

So just curious what rod lengths you guys are using & do you feel comfortable using them. I'm redoing all my rods for this year & going to longer rods for when I use my pontoon boat.

I know some rod mfg's are have come out w/ kayak specific length rods & actions. Haven't tried those out but they seem to be targeting saltwater fishermen than freshwater.

tacklejunkie
02-03-2008, 08:09 PM
I use a 6' Loomis GL2 on my 8' double wide 'toon and don't seem to have probs.. even after battling the fish through the weeds.
I've been preferring at least 7 foot rods for anything other than light trouting lately solely for casting distance, but still love my 6' GL2 to death!
If you have a standing deck on your pontoon, that really helps with landing the fishes quite a bit! Even without it I didn't seem to have trouble though.
When my lure is close to the boat (1 foot away?) I just pop the rod tip up and reel in quick to avoid puncturing the aircells..

steve092
02-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I've only been out three times since I got mine, but I usually use 4 1/2- 6 ft. light rods.
I have used my 9' rod to throw swimbaits once.

Z-TUNAKILLER
02-09-2008, 08:05 AM
hey now ghost, i have 6, 6.5, 8 & 8.5 foot rods, i luv them for shore / boat fishing, but it seems fishing the longer rods from my toon, at least for me it is much harder to cast in a sitting position. i'm tempted to cut off some of the bottom of the handle, but i don't think i have the balls to do it.... LMFAO

I just ordered myself a TeamDaiwa Advantage 135H7 with a Daiwa TriForce SHORTY Graphite Trigger Grip Casting Rod 3 foot, i don't think i'll be able to cast as far as the 6' + rod but it sure is cute... LOL

HEY tacklejunkie, YOU LIKE-E ?

Z

FISH ON !

tacklejunkie
02-09-2008, 01:11 PM
:lol: Nice pole Z!
That would make a good jiggin' stick or kick some but on the stream trouts and pond bass!
I dig those little shorty rods. :thumb: Still thinking about that 3 footer Kencor..

I think one thing is for sure..
It's tough to thread the guides on a long rod from your pontoon! If you have some long rods, thread the guides and tie up before you jump on to save yourself the trouble.. unless of course you have a standing deck to stand on while tying up..

Doh! Look what you did Z,
Now I'll have to get one :lol: Where did you score that puppy? :offtopic: :mrgreen:
http://www.daiwa.com/Rod/detail.aspx?id=213

Z-TUNAKILLER
02-09-2008, 03:00 PM
:lol: Nice pole Z!
That would make a good jiggin' stick or kick some but on the stream trouts and pond bass!
I dig those little shorty rods. :thumb: Still thinking about that 3 footer Kencor..

I think one thing is for sure..
It's tough to thread the guides on a long rod from your pontoon! If you have some long rods, thread the guides and tie up before you jump on to save yourself the trouble.. unless of course you have a standing deck to stand on while tying up..

Doh! Look what you did Z,
Now I'll have to get one :lol: Where did you score that puppy? :offtopic: :mrgreen:
http://www.daiwa.com/Rod/detail.aspx?id=213

:eek2: OMG tj, you need to ask me where i purchased... WTF ?

LMFAO.....oh come on now .. you know me.......ebay, where else ? :thumb: :thumb:

:rofl: I just knew you were going to have to get 1 :thumb:

Z

FISH ON !

tacklejunkie
02-09-2008, 09:01 PM
:lol: Just playin with ya dude.
Got too much on my plate already.
I'll have to check it out next time we hook up! Sweet little backpack ninja pole.

Ghost
02-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Bass Pro Shops has those shorty rods in baitcasting & spinning, here's the baitcast:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=99369&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Z-TUNAKILLER
02-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Bass Pro Shops has those shorty rods in baitcasting & spinning, here's the baitcast:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=99369&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

ebay was little over half that price for the rod, the reel & shipping
were less then half price. :offtopic:

BPS is for people who have allot of $$$ and/or can't wait to buy and thats fine with me, they do have some great sale prices sometime. :thumb:

i like ebay fishing for a deal, i'm in no hurry :appl:

Z

FISH ON !