PDA

View Full Version : looking to get a hobie kayak

Darrin
02-03-2008, 12:13 PM
does anybody have a hobie kayak?? if so is it worth buying it and which one should i get.....im looking to fish the ocean with it

Thanks

DArrin

cglant
02-04-2008, 09:07 AM
I have the sport and I love it. The only thing is you have to fork out the money to buy it unless you can find a used one. Depending on how big you are I would recommend the outback. Check out Southwindkayak sometimes they have used ones for sale. Good Luck

idavis
02-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Outback owner here. I definitely love mine. You will see a lot of reviews touting all sorts of statistics. My advice, find a place or someone that has one, and test ride it. There are a lot of different models with different characteristics. I chose the Outback and have spend a number of days out on the water, and absolutely love it. On the flip side, I could have probably lashed some logs together and would still have a great time out on the water, but that's just me.

Not having to paddle is a great thing, and since I ride bicycles, pedalling around the lake all day is something I have no problem doing. I do break out the paddle when launching or I get near some cover that I need to maneuver around.

My Hobie gets two thumbs up from me.

Darrin
02-04-2008, 05:59 PM
thanks guys

mg2969
02-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Hobie Kayak
The kind you peddle or the kind you paddle ?
They do have 2 separate lines

I have the peddle kind - Hobie Revolution (REVO)
feel free to PM me any questions regarding the REVO or the peddling Mirage Drive

idavis
02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Fyi, I will be out at Castaic Lagoon this Saturday if you want to take a look at my Outback. It's not the ocean, but you can get a good idea of how they float. One more thing I do love about my Outback is that even as big a boy as I am, I sit dry all day long. Had some high wind a couple weeks ago pushing the waves over the bow, and I was getting some spray, but that wasn't bad. I am actually hoping for that in the summer is my guess.

Isaac

npdes
02-06-2008, 07:36 AM
I've got a Hobie Revolution and love it. I've taken it out in the ocean and didn't have any problem or fear of tipping. I do think the Outback's wider cockpit and deckspace would be nice to have but the sleekness of the Revolution makes it easier and faster to paddle when necessary.