PDA

View Full Version : NATIVE SUN 2 2 08 (ONLY A FEW PICS FOR NOW)

ghetto dad
02-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Hey Guys,

Decided to give the Native Sun a try out of Long Beach Sportfishing on Saturday. Nice BBFC/NBU turnout. Today we had:
1. Myself
2. Cappo
3. Dean Hall
4. Kevin Kim
5. Yayo
6. Erick
7. The Fish Taco
8. Jason Lopz Smith aka “Smitty”
9. Big Robert
10. Robert’s Friend (sorry man, forgot your name)
11. G $
Picked up my friend Yayo in HB, then headed to LBSF. We arrived at about 5 am, some guys already there. We all got our tickets, boarded the boat, and stored our gear. We left a few minutes late today, we had to wait for a couple guys, no worries.
Left the dock at around 615 am, and headed east to pick up some fin bait. Loaded up on the fin bait, and started our run across to Catalina. Crew today on the Native Sun was Capt Jason, Kim on the deck, and Don in the galley. Jason made his morning safety speech, and let us know the plan today. We were going to fish the front side today, in search of Calico Bass and Bonita. Kim came around with the jackpot list, I did our side $5 jackpot, and Mac Daddy from Kencor was on the boat, so he was selling the raffle tickets for the prizes that he was going to raffle throughout the day, including the grand prize of a Kencor Ocean Graf graphite rod…nice. So we all rigged up our gear, ordered breakfast, and hung out for the ride across to the Island. On the way across, it was pretty bumpy, large swell. Thank god there was no wind on it, we would have gotten our azzes kicked.

Arrived at the Island, and set up on our first spot. Kim started throwing bait, and the bonita started to boil. We started a good pick on the bonita, guys throwing the small jigs like the megabaits were getting bit good. I started out fishing a ¼ oz leadhead hoping for a calico bass. I ended up catching and having to release a nice sheephead, out of season! With the bass not biting for me, I decided to throw a megabait and try for some bonita. Of course, I left my megabaits at home, so I decided to fish the Tady C in mint green. I picked up a bonita, looked back in the kelp line, and saw bass flipping around in the kelp. Had to upgrade my casts to get to the kelp line. I got boiled on a few times, but no hook ups. No worries, its been a long time since I got to throw iron, I was having a great time!! On this spot, Kevin Kim ended up getting a nicer bonita, actually, the largest on the boat that day. He didn’t get in any of the jackpots, he has a superstition about it.

On the second or third spot, I wanted to fish my 2 lb trout rod and try my luck with the perch bite. On the second cast, my squid strip made it all the way to the bottom with no perch bites. Then I got slammed by something! I set the hook, and realized that I had a nicer fish on. Fish started to peel the 2 lb off the reel, and I could feel the kelp rubbing on my line. I played the fish carefully, got it all the way to the boat, except the last few feet, where I finally got to see what I had on, and see the LAST kelp stringer in was wrapped around. It was a NICE sheephead, looking at least 3-4 lbs. I had asked Jason if they could net it, so that I could at least get a pic with the fish I got on 2 lb. He said no prob, and while they were going to get the net, it finally spit the hook. I was on that fish about 10 minutes, and did my best, it was that LAST kelp stringer that got me. At least I got to see what it was. That was fun.

On the last spot of the day, a few of us decided to totally focus on the perch..lol….we had our light gear and wanted to have some fun before we headed home. It was quite funny, there were perch under the boat, but a bird kept spooking them down, and they would pop up in many different areas of the boat. So what we would do is when we saw someone land a perch, we would all rush to whatever spot that person was on, and poach there spot! I guess you had to be there, its all about having fun guys, and that we did.

Throughout the day, mac daddy raffled off many great prizes, and i believe that most of the boyz won something.

Jason announced it was time to head home, we weighed up our side jackpot, which Erick ended up winning on a 2 lb bonita. K3vin Kim would have easily had it. LOL….Ericks 2 lb bonita ended up earing him $40, not bad. Mac Daddy did the grand prize raffle after JP weigh in, and guess who won the rod!! DEAN HALL!!! woo hooo, great job bro!! Thats how we do it on BBFC trips!!!!! The ride home was NICE, and we arrived back at the dock at around 5 pm.

On a side note guys, it has been awhile since I have fished on the Native Sun, and the crew has changed up for the BETTER!!!! Jason does an EXCELLENT job as capt, and gave it 110% trying to get us on fish throughout the day. The deckhand Kim is top notch also. Don in the galley did an excellent job also. The crew change has made that boat 110% better, I would highly recommend fishing the Native Sun. As for now, they are scheduled for Catalina runs on the weekends, but call the landing prior to your trip to make resies and ask the trips destination.

Heres a few pics, one or two guys will add a few more later.

GD

Bobbyk
02-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Way to go guys way to get those bones

cappo
02-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the write up Steve. It was fun day. Man what a ride out there, swells were big and I donated my breakfast :oops:
The megabait was my go to bait today. One thing I dont like about chovies is you can never cast them far enough. So I stuck with the megabait all day. Ended with about 7-8 bonies. I totally forgot about our side jackpot, and started giving them away to Big Rob. Thank god it didn't bite me in the end. I didnt get to try out my new (used) Graphtec rod that I got. Oh well next time. I did ended up winning a tshirt and some jigs from Mac Daddy. Thanks.

I only took a few pics.

GD hooked into something big here.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/NativeSun/IMGP1512.jpg

Gmoney's catch of the day
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/NativeSun/IMGP1517.jpg

Perch poachin
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/NativeSun/IMGP1516.jpg

On the long way home, what else is there to do.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/NativeSun/IMGP1519.jpg

Had a great time fishing with you guys, on a new boat for me.

tacklejunkie
02-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Great report and pics guys. Looks like fun out there. 8)

k3vin_kim
02-03-2008, 11:43 AM
yeah so it was fun. I know what you're thinking joe, shoulda woulda coulda... But i wouldn't have landed that Boney if I played JP (no $ sign for k3vin_kim's avatar... that's a BBFC thang). I landed that boner on the slide using a motor oil (green and red) twin tail mojo w/a strip of squid on the slide. Anyways, I got some pictures to add to Steve's thorough report, I especially like the picture of Steve pretending he knows how to tie a mono to spectra using the Albright... did you ever get that knot to work Steve?

I definately needed this trip though, I've been off the water for almost a month. And after all the rain and moist weather I noticed that there's a lot more green on Cat island. It was captivating to even see our beautiful island after months of local and coastal trips.

Till next time,

KK.

ghetto dad
02-03-2008, 11:58 AM
thanks for the additions and extra pics guys....
lol kevin, that albright is a PITA, i tie it right about 80% of the time....the good thing about that knot is that if you DO tie it wrong, it will just slip out.....so you know if you tied it wrong...my prob i keep having with that knot is that i slide the spectra back through the loop wrong.....it was great having you out k3vin....along with everyone else.....thanks guys....till next time....

GD

SanDimasLMB
02-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Nice report again GD and Kevin. LMFAO at the perch picture. Good job on the nice bonito Kevin. Steve, must have sucked to lose that sheepshead in the LAST stringer of kelp, atleast you had a nice fight. BTW, what company 2lb. were you using? :lol:

Also, did anyone keep that octopus? Looks delicious in the picture.

one_leg
02-03-2008, 02:52 PM
ghetto dad, thanks for the report. Nice Perch.

Looks like you guys had some really sweet bonehead action there. :shock:

Glad you were able to make it to the Island.

Coctele De Pulpo tastes great. I might go get me some right now.

One_Leg

jaylpz
02-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Nice pics. i need to e-mail that pic of my cousin to his wife/friends and the rest of the family =)
i'm looking forward to fishing next weekend. =)

one_leg
02-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Yes indeed, next weekend for sure, Jason!

One_Leg

deanhall32
02-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Fun trip and good stories told! The Fish Taco- you know what story I liked best!!

One of the funniest things that happened was when GD had to drop a deuce and both bathrooms were taken. He paced back and forth and started talking to himself when nobody came out of either bathroom. Then he found out that there was a waiting line to use the heads and he started bartering with guys so he could take cuts. After pounding on the door of the head, he realized there was nobody in it and called Kim the deckhand who explained that the lock must have accidently latched shut when the person before left. He used a knife to pry it open and GD was able to do his good deed.

one_leg
02-03-2008, 06:24 PM
One of the funniest things that happened was when GD had to drop a deuce.

I'm betting ghetto dad had something with caffeine in it.
Coffee on the boat, GD? I thought you only drank Cactus Coolers while at sea?

O_L

the fish taco
02-03-2008, 06:26 PM
had fun fishing with everybody yesterday... Steve and Dean, had a blast B.S.ing with you guys about smelly kitties... lol... Fishing is only gotta get better on the boat.... I'll be out there next saturday if anybody is gonna be out there... Let me know when the next trip is.

ghetto dad
02-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Fun trip and good stories told! The Fish Taco- you know what story I liked best!!

One of the funniest things that happened was when GD had to drop a deuce and both bathrooms were taken. He paced back and forth and started talking to himself when nobody came out of either bathroom. Then he found out that there was a waiting line to use the heads and he started bartering with guys so he could take cuts. After pounding on the door of the head, he realized there was nobody in it and called Kim the deckhand who explained that the lock must have accidently latched shut when the person before left. He used a knife to pry it open and GD was able to do his good deed.

lol.....nice....first of all, there was NO bartering involved...i told fools that I WAS NEXT!!!! Second, i used the other one that yayo was in.....you are SO done dean, lol...payback brother, payback......

GD

ghetto dad
02-03-2008, 06:28 PM
had fun fishing with everybody yesterday... Steve and Dean, had a blast B.S.ing with you guys about smelly kitties... lol... Fishing is only gotta get better on the boat.... I'll be out there next saturday if anybody is gonna be out there... Let me know when the next trip is.

lol hey aaron...dude, that story had me chuckling throughout the day...especially when i opened up a ziplock full of pink squid.....made me think of you bro...lmfao......later homie.....be careful in santa ana holmes.......

GD

ghetto dad
02-03-2008, 06:32 PM
One of the funniest things that happened was when GD had to drop a deuce.

O_L
lol alan....you know me man...i was THIS close!!! lol.....

GD

ghetto dad
02-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Nice pics. i need to e-mail that pic of my cousin to his wife/friends and the rest of the family =)
i'm looking forward to fishing next weekend. =)

cool smitty...any suggestions for next week homie???

the fish taco
02-03-2008, 06:35 PM
lol..... i'll stay away from the fountain valley locos... they sound mean, or like Jason said "that sounds like a bowling team!!!"

Just remember

1. granny panties
2. smelly kitties
33. 2 mins later.... Excuse me but i cannt do this...

LMAO!!!!

See you guys on the next trip. Maybe we'll have somemore storys.

one_leg
02-03-2008, 06:42 PM
[quote=deanhall32]One of the funniest things that happened was when GD had to drop a deuce.

O_L
lol alan....you know me man...i was THIS close!!! lol.....

GD[/quote:a3072]

I feel sorry for whoever was 2nd in that line.........ROTFLMFAO

O_L

ghetto dad
02-03-2008, 08:53 PM
lol..... i'll stay away from the fountain valley locos... they sound mean, or like Jason said "that sounds like a bowling team!!!"

Just remember

1. granny panties
2. smelly kitties
33. 2 mins later.... Excuse me but i cannt do this...

LMAO!!!!

See you guys on the next trip. Maybe we'll have somemore storys.

dude, thats just wrong.....see you brother...

GD

and we are crazy ese.....

troutdog
02-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Great "team report" and cool pics guys. I am soo looking forward to a day on the salt, fishing Catalina for bonesa and the yellows...once again great report!

What nobody ate bait on this trip? :mrgreen:

TD

LA Smoker
02-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Sounds like everyone had a good time. I was planning to make it out there, but I was up until 3 am playing PS3 cuz I'm obviously hooked on it for the mean time, I ended up waking up @ noon on Saturday. :( And I really wanted to go fishing too. Next week I wont play PS3 all night. Well... I'll try at least. Cant make any promises just yet.

LA Smoker
02-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Great "team report" and cool pics guys. I am soo looking forward to a day on the salt, fishing Catalina for bonesa and the yellows...once again great report!

What nobody ate bait on this trip? :mrgreen:

TD

Not by the look of those macs!

Ricky-Ray
02-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Awesome report and pics guys. At least somebody's out there fishing. I gotta get out, being on dry land for over a month is killing me.

Hey GD forget the trout rod and use a kiddie pole next time your out there. You'll have more fun and you'll have better drags too. Opps....I mean lack of drag's. LOL

chuck'n deuce's
02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
wassup fellas, first of all i enjoyed the the group we had. i met quite a few people from the board and now i can place a face with the screen name. i look forward to you guys coming out later on down the line. i wish i had a photo of all the "ambition" of you guys chasing perch around the boat.lol.and the conversations we had in the wheelhouse were hilarious.good times.

the captain
jason rico
aka. chuck'n deuce's

deanhall32
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Right on Jason! We (I) had a blast and enjoyed the captain and crew. I was also impressed that you knew our names when we got off the boat. Thanks for the good trip and way to see you on the boards!!

JapanRon
02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi ghetto dad,

See ... I was patient .... I ddn't whine .... cry .... beg .... or threaten. Your looooooooooooong awaited report has arrived !! :P

Top-shelf, thinking report with all the focus on the guys .... where it should be !! Looks like it was manditory to have a blast on that trip. I'm getting to feel I know some of these guys, not only from fishing with them (K3vin_kim, and others) but the individual pics are a great help. Once again your organizing skills and generous nature made things great for everybody !! I think you would have guys lined up to play bingo .... in a house of ill-repute !! :) :)

What happened to the big 'O' and wassup with one_leg ..... they couldn't have been that busy! :)

I am soooo disappointed that a yellow did not find its way onto your iron. That would have made my day !!!

Great to hear of the NS doing regular trips to Catalina. Frontside is a good call that will almost double time of lines in the water. Would have been fun to toss some Whams/Blams. Did pretty good with the 2-inch Storm shad last trip there as they fish well vertically right between the kelp stringers!

Kudos to all the guys that are putting in their two-cents worth in post/replies too as it's the more the merrier !! Thanks guys.

Thanks for the hard work on this trip from reservations to well ....... it never ends !!

Again ..... super fun read and makes a person want to go. You mentioned rendevouz.... which I assume is the place people sign up for trips. Where is that (if there is one) located? Aslo question, if we sign-up with the group, I guess we don't make a reservation for ourselves individually? Kinda Duh .. but you know I'm anal so ... :)

PS: Anybody know what was on Jason's middle-three fingers' nails ?... couldn't be anything good !

later ..... on a Sunday for sure !!

tsurikichi

ghetto dad
02-04-2008, 06:44 PM
nice pictures !!!! and congrats to all those who kept their breakfast, lunch, and early dinner
lmfao..cept your man.....thanks for the reply larissa
GD

k3vin_kim
02-04-2008, 10:13 PM
yeah... my name's capPOOOOOOOOoOoOORRRGHGHHHHH~!!!

ghetto dad
02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
yeah... my name's capPOOOOOOOOoOoOORRRGHGHHHHH~!!!

lmfao..juan, you got dissed by a food group......

Ricky-Ray
02-05-2008, 12:54 AM
Helping out in setting up a nice chum line..... hahahaa

Hawkeye
02-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Awesome report ghetto_dad and great job everyone who went!

Darn it, I really wanted to go on this one too but didn't want to commit because I was recovering from this annoying cold or whatever is that is going around, now I just have this annoying cough but at least manageable enough for me finally get the itch to go fishing again! I have never been on the Native Sun and from what I am reading sounds like another good one to go on, I am so tempted to go on this boat this coming weekend, weather should be warmer too from what I can tell, maybe bonitos again and perhaps yellowtail???? (crossing fingers) How was the parking by the way? (hahaha, had to ask) :lol:

one_leg
02-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Juan, you got it all wrong.

Mina told me that in Korean culture it is a compliment to the chef if you burp.

You're not supposed to barf. :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :rofl:

One_Leg

reckless_m@
02-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Off topic, but ****, Jason Ricos my homie from high school. We use to skate backkk in the day.....didnt know he was the skipper of the Native Sun. Gotta hop on the boat sometime and fish that dude.

cappo
02-05-2008, 01:09 PM

You're not supposed to barf. :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :bblfish: :rofl:

One_Leg

Next time I'll chum in your tackle bag, then burp.

ghetto dad
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM

You're not supposed to barf. :bblfish: : :rofl:

One_Leg

hey fellow brokebacker, say it to his face...LIKE A MAN HOLMES!!! :lol:

cappo
02-05-2008, 01:36 PM
[quote="one_leg":7dba0]Juan, you got it all wrong.

You're not supposed to barf. :bblfish: : :rofl:

One_Leg

hey fellow brokebacker, say it to his face...LIKE A MAN HOLMES!!! :lol:[/quote:7dba0]

I haven't drank enough Soju yet

Ricky-Ray
02-05-2008, 03:26 PM
mmmm....soju. Haven't had that stuff in a long time.

one_leg
02-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Off topic, but ****, Jason Ricos my homie from high school. We use to skate backkk in the day.....didnt know he was the skipper of the Native Sun. Gotta hop on the boat sometime and fish that dude.

I gotta hop on all the boats I go on......LOL

Maybe well see you on one of our trips? Do it! Do it!

O_L

Gmoney
02-07-2008, 08:36 AM
just chiming in a lil late
thanks for report and pix GD. Kevins got some fantastic pix as well!!!! Kevin, can i get an autograph next time??..my kids would love to have one of your pro tour signatures on their walls.
had a great time....yeah fishing was a little slow but there were fish to be caught.
Props to you on the goat with the 2lb.....that was seriously some nice skillz battling the kelp all the way up. glad i got to watch. i was sure i got a good picture of the goat....but all my pix were really fuzzy...doh!
great day with some great convos....had a blast
Props to the Captain Jason and the crew.....NICE JOB.
had a blast hanging with macdaddy as well - very nice!!!

I may be wrong, but isnt GD smiling in the group photo??? that is a first!!
Seriously, thanks again steve-o for all that you do...these trips are a blast...glad to be a part of them!!!!

laters
G$

ghetto dad
02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
just chiming in a lil late
thanks for report and pix GD. Kevins got some fantastic pix as well!!!! Kevin, can i get an autograph next time??..my kids would love to have one of your pro tour signatures on their walls.
had a great time....yeah fishing was a little slow but there were fish to be caught.
Props to you on the goat with the 2lb.....that was seriously some nice skillz battling the kelp all the way up. glad i got to watch. i was sure i got a good picture of the goat....but all my pix were really fuzzy...doh!
great day with some great convos....had a blast
Props to the Captain Jason and the crew.....NICE JOB.
had a blast hanging with macdaddy as well - very nice!!!

I may be wrong, but isnt GD smiling in the group photo??? that is a first!!
Seriously, thanks again steve-o for all that you do...these trips are a blast...glad to be a part of them!!!!

laters
G$

thanks for the aprreciation G$...according to some, i think the world is all about me...it revolves around me..people that REALLY know me know better..and I GOT THE GOAT ON THE 2 LB, NOT KEVIN!!. LOL

Gmoney
02-07-2008, 10:59 AM
GD-
yeah i know you got the goat....but its still prostaff kevin that my kids think is cooool
they want his autograph not yours....sorry
actually, the order of autographs for my kids is something like this:
1. Kevin
2. Everyone Else
3. Gmoney
4. GD

heh - j/k
man stop the world from revolving around you so fast.....it made juan sick

ghetto dad
02-07-2008, 11:09 AM
GD-
yeah i know you got the goat....but its still prostaff kevin that my kids think is cooool
they want his autograph not yours....sorry
actually, the order of autographs for my kids is something like this:
1. Kevin
2. Everyone Else
3. Gmoney
4. GD

heh - j/k
man stop the world from revolving around you so fast.....it made juan sick

why do you tell him things like that...there goes his head...bigger than it already is..thanks g$.....

Gmoney
02-07-2008, 11:13 AM
why do you tell him things like that...there goes his head...bigger than it already is..thanks g$.....

safety first...thats my motto
if the boat goes down his head can be a PFD.....for EVERYONE
heh

k3vin_kim
02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.fishrapnews.com/news/newsart ... =14&x=5209 (http://www.fishrapnews.com/news/newsarticles.aspx?y=14&x=5209)

G$ knows... hey kids here's your copy right here.
READ IT AND WEEP BOYZ

deanhall32
02-07-2008, 12:00 PM
So all you have to do is send in a photo of yourself and you get in the newspaper-even with a bonita????

k3vin_kim
02-07-2008, 12:10 PM
So all you have to do is send in a photo of yourself and you get in the newspaper-even with a bonita????

YOU GOT IT COACH. Look at the words you chose. That's all I have to do. I

LOL. Brandon from the fishrap made me a cup of coffee one time and I haven't slept since..

ghetto dad
02-07-2008, 12:17 PM
you notice dean, its says "jackpot" bonita, which wasnt true, hes too cheap to ever get in the jackpot...both ours AND the boats...he wasnt in it......FALSE ADVERTISING!!! :banned:

k3vin_kim
02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Jackpot or not... it was still the biggest fish and I can rest easy knowing that I boated that guy.

ghetto dad
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Jackpot or not... it was still the biggest fish and I can rest easy knowing that I boated that guy.

lmfao...u act like it was an "epic" battle...thing weighed 3 lbs...LOL....we love you bro, even if you are full of yourself.....

GD

Gmoney
02-07-2008, 02:09 PM
sooooooo funnnnnnny
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

looking forward to fishing with everyone again soon

kevin....let me know if you need any more fishing help or advice....im there for ya bro!!! apparently those tips i gave you have been paying off. no no no need to thank me...thats why we are friends - heh

ghetto dad
02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
sooooooo funnnnnnny
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

looking forward to fishing with everyone again soon

kevin....let me know if you need any more fishing help or advice....im there for ya bro!!! apparently those tips i gave you have been paying off. no no no need to thank me...thats why we are friends - heh

LOL....I KNEW IT!!!

GD

tpfishnfool
02-07-2008, 07:58 PM
HEY, a Ralphs guy huh ? Back at ya.. What werehouse does that guy work at ?

ghetto dad
02-07-2008, 07:58 PM
HEY, a Ralphs guy huh ? Back at ya.. What werehouse does that guy work at ?

he jacked that from some white kid.....he doesnt work there....

GD

one_leg
02-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Ralph Jason Smith Lopez

DFUNKY
02-11-2008, 01:28 PM
man o man the seas were rough that day... I ended up chunking twice on the way home through the channel... I dont remember the last time I ralphed on a fishing boat.. must have been 12 years or so since the last time... Nice bonito Kevin.. oh and thanks for blowing my cover on the zzzzz picture.. thats me in the right side corner next to the rods.. haha. Good stuff!

Gmoney
02-11-2008, 02:44 PM
DFUNKY
Welcome to FNN
next time say hey to the gang
see ya out there soon

laters
G$