PDA

View Full Version : bass+bugs 1-30 sd bay

Captwoody
02-01-2008, 11:12 AM
bass/bugs SD Bay 1-30 , we fished gulp last hour of light for one sand bass on a slack tide. moved over to zuniga with 3 eclipse nets for my first attemp at lobstering. dropped in 20 ft of water on the bay side waited 30 mins for a crab, redropped waited another 30 caught crabs,2 shorts and some fish, redropped 4 more times for the same results moved to so side of jetty caught one bareley legal and a buch of shorts called it a night at 11pm for 15 shorts 30 crabs 2 sting rays 15 rockfish and on the poles we did battle with a large ray a skate and a sand bass between sets. good learning experience for my first time lobstering. How do I store the extra rope when it is a 100 ft rope and i am setting in 20 ft of water, do you coil and tie it off or is there another trick. and yes I know I need more traps I am just getting started-WOODY

chris
02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
i use the cheap plastic electrical cord organizers and zip ties. i'll try to take a picture for you. youi can get them at home depot wal mart wal greens.

Captwoody
02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the pointers ZIP ties and storing the rope above the float seem to be the general rule from the other boards. lobstering is a lot more fun than i thought it would be-woody :banana:

chris
02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
yes it is I always have a good time . here's th pic of how i run them
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/chris419/100_0432.jpg

I tie the float off seperate so the cord the wrapped rope is like 12" under water it makes a good handle to grab
it's also easy to pre mark depths on your rope. have fun and be safe

Captwoody
02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
thanks for the picture it makes sense now-woody

HESBROS
02-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Woody, we cut our ropes into 50ft lengths, so there is less line to bundle, if we are going to hoop deeper than 50, we just add on the other 50.

Captwoody
02-01-2008, 07:31 PM
how do you connect them with the bouy so the rope will pass thru?

HESBROS
02-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Woody, if you question about the float is for me, here is my reply. I dont use the Promar floats. I bought some clear water jugs from Walmart for a couple bucks and use them. The end of the rope is tied off to the handle of the jug. We actually quit zip tying our rope and use a different method with the jugs. We left enough slack where the jug is tied so we could tie a loop, and on that loop is a carbiner. We wind the rope around the jug for storage. When we are hooping, we measure out enough rope for the depth, then make a few raps on the carabiner, leaving the excess wrapped around the jug. The clear jug is great for putting a light stick in. If you are interested, I can post some pics of our set up. So here I will explain what we do. We have 50ft wrapped around the jug. If we are hooping in 25 ft, we unwrap 30 ft, levaing the 20 ft wrapped, the jug serves as a spool in way. The wraps around the carabiner keep the rest of the rope on the jug. When we pull our nets, we just wrap the 30feet we are using back around the jug so we dont get a mess in the boat. When we drop the net back in, we drop the net with a few feet of rope unwound off the jug, then drop the jug, the jug floats and roles, and the rest of the 30ft unwinds by itself. Hope this makes sense and helps.

Eddie

Captwoody
02-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks eddie, if i understand correctly the caribiner is on the handle a couple of friction wraps secure it. what is the size of the water jugs? thanks woody

HESBROS
02-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Sounds like you got it. I really never looked at the size. Maybe a gallon. You can get them at pic and save or those dollar stores. They look like an old fashioned jug with a screw op cap that also pops up and open.

mg2969
02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I use 1/2 gallon milk jugs, specifically Knudsen (they have a reinforced top).
Instead of glo-sticks I use the garrity led wands from wal-mart or Fry's at $2.50 a pop and are good for 2-3 outings.
I also wrap them in a large ziplok bag and insert in the th jug (turning on before I do), because they aren't water proof
Of course I also put the top on the milk jug

Regarding the extra line
A lot of hoopers cut the line in half and add so type of quick connection sytem to the ends (like a pair of carbiners)
SO you are only dealing with 50 ft sections not 100, and if you need you can add that 50 section in a snap

Also at the end of whats it the water, alot of hoopers add a heavy lead fishing weight ,
I'm not sure how heavy though
Basically it keeps all the extra line in the water column not floating around.

ahhvtec
02-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Yup I do exactly what these guys do with the empty water/milk jugs and eletrical extension cord coilers. This time of year you should hoop deeper like around 80 feet.

Duc