PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite

Grnblazer
05-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I hope this is the right section for this, if not i apologize. Me and some friends are going camping in Yosemite, and a couple of us love to fish. I have been trying to find information about fishing up there but havent found much. I really want to go to a nice mountain lake type place and catch some beautiful trout, possibly a golden. If anyone can give me some info or a place that has some info, I would greatly apprecaite it. Please post or PM me any info.

Thank You
Scott

Greg Madrigal
05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Wrong place my man; Use the general FW section, but hey, at least you had the b@lls to ask! :lol:

Yosemite valley has the Merced river which hold Rainbows, smallmouth bass and those pesky suckerfish. I know for a fact that you CANNOT use bait in the park, but you really should read the DFG reg beforehand, and make sure there aren't any other special closures or regs. There probably are.
I personally, have fished the Merced down the Hwy140 west of the town of El Portal. There, I caught rainbows and smallies. Make sure you find the deeper pools and eddies near the swift water, that is where they hold.

Check out this map link. El Portal is near the left hand edge of the park.
http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/yosemitemap.htm

I like to use the yellow w/red polka dot Panther Martin spinners. Or, when allowed, a single egg hook with splitshot, and salmon eggs. Good luck to you!
GM

tenderloin
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Fished the Merced in the park the end of last summer. Had decent luck early AM and just before dark using small spinners etc. Even mix of rainbows and browns, All 12" or under. Rainbows are C&R. Browns are limit of 5 (they want to get rid of them) Further down the river outside the park can be excellent. I like the bridge at the end of the special regulation stretch. Very good brown and rainbow fishing. Kids hiked into some streams and lakes and did exceptionally well.

one_leg
05-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Maybe the Nor Cal General Message Board would be of assistance also?

Good Luck on your trip.

One_Leg

KaliDawgFan
05-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, considering that everyone in Norcal posts questions here I can see how he might be confused.

one_leg
05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Here is the National Park Service site Fishing Info for Yosemite.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

One_Leg

Troutman65
05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
YOSEMITE is one of the most beautiful places on EARTH!!! Been their many times during different times of the year. Never fished their. Good luck fishing there. Take some photos for your FNN report.

jase33
05-09-2007, 09:55 AM
dang...you made me read. :lol:

Grnblazer
05-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Thank you all very much I apologize for posting in the wrong section. Especially want to thank greg and tenderloin for the detailed info. I will be sure to take plenty of pics and post them here. Thanks again