PDA

View Full Version : OMC outdrives?

Got-to-fish
01-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi, Iam looking to buy a 1990 fourwinds 18' open bow fish/ski boat. It has the ford 4 cyl. w/ omc outdrive. Is this motor combo good? I have heard some bad things about omc outdrives, does anybody have any info? Thanks!

Daryl
01-31-2008, 10:11 AM
What are some of the 'bad things' that you have heard?

Got-to-fish
01-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Just that mechanics don't like to work on them. Maybe a bad design? Hard to find parts. Cost more to work on.

Daryl
01-31-2008, 01:09 PM
I've heard that the transmission on the older model mercruiser outdrive is pretty rough when going from neutral to either forward or reverse. I haven't heard any complaints about the OMC. Spend the money and protect yourself by having a marine mechanic thoroughly inspect the boat and trailer. It's the best way to protect your money before you spend it.

Sparky70
01-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Used to own a 19ft. Apache with a 350 engine and OMC outdrive, only trouble I ever had with it was when I raised the out-drive sometimes it would lock-up.

Got-to-fish
02-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Not sure if I'm going to buy the boat yet, trying to get the price down.

devin828
02-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I have a 1992 19ft BeachCraft with a 4.3 motor & a Cobra OMC works like a charm I just got it out the shop had the yearly service done for motor & outdrive and getting parts was no problem at least the shop never said anything about getting parts I had the cable replaced from the gear box to the outdrive and shifting is no problem also there was an oil leak from the dip stick & the oil pan rusted out plus it had a leak from the transom I suggest you take it to a shop and let them check it out also try to get it out on the lake for a test drive I bought my boat from my wife best friend that had the boat sitting for a year in his back yard and I just bought it on site never took it to the shop or test drove it I end up spending 3200.00 extra at the marine repair shop after taking it out for a test ride this is after I bought the boat fixing bits and piecing here and there but for 2500.00 purchase price I guess that ant bad at least I know everthing on the boat works perfect but you may not want to spend that extra money for at least a year or so if I was you I would take it to the shop for a inspection I WAS INPATIENCE AND PAID THE PRICE but its priceless out on the lake with your own boat fishing thats worth a million

good luck

devin828
:idea:

Fastfish
02-04-2008, 05:11 PM
This drive is new enuff to be good its the older models that has what is refered to as a ball drive when working rite it was ok but there hard to work on and can be nearly impossible to get parts for but the Cobra drive is reliable drive as is the little GM 4cyl driving it whether its a 2.5L or a 3.0L there very good motors.

Fastfish

Tail Chaser
02-04-2008, 07:18 PM
All I ever heard was the older OMC drives were junk. The white ones with that huge bellow on the transom.
The Merc alpha 1 drives are good units from 1985 on. Earlier models were not very strong
Getting imfo from the marine mechanics is a very good idea. Kept me from making some mistakes.
I would think used 18ft family cruiser boats are a dime a dozen :roll:
That 4cyl sterndrive is probably under powered and slow.
I would look for a better engine/drive package
V8 power, Prefer a 5.7 chevy motor 350ci with a Merc or Volvo outdrive 1985 or newer
A outboard powered boat with a Yamaha,Merc,Honda 4 stroke outboard.

Sparky70
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
You know the defination for boat? Bring On Another Thousand! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Tail Chaser
02-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Buying a good boat was the smartest, best purchase ive ever made. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :banana: :banana: :smash: :smash: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: