PDA

View Full Version : moon phases

mr. trout
05-08-2007, 06:59 AM
hey, i have been hearing a lot about moon phases and how they can effect the fishing, is this true or is it just a theory, if its true how does it effect it, thanks

-mr. trout

twin22s
05-08-2007, 11:10 AM
the moon does have an effect, tho more so in the ocean with the tide and evening bites under the full moon. when the moon is full and up at night, it slows the fishing during the day, but when the moon is very small(cresent) morning bite and evening bites are good. if your lucky enough to get a day when the moon is near full and out most during the day the bite can last all day long, but like most days better at dusk and dawn, depending on which one the moon is out for. i like to fish realy early in the morning when the moon is over head around 7 am. bass master mag has a very helpfull luner chart that predicts the best fishing comditions every month, PM me and i'll send you a picture of it, would right now but im at work. BTW there are alot of other conditions like air temp/presure, water temp. weather activity and things we just can't even see, PH levels in the water. you just need to fish all sorts of conditions and remember or even keep a log of whats good and whats not. after awhile you'll be able to tell if its gona be a good day and where the fish will be, and most inportant, why.

yomper
05-20-2007, 12:47 PM
hey, i have been hearing a lot about moon phases and how they can effect the fishing, is this true or is it just a theory, if its true how does it effect it, thanks

-mr. trout
You are probably talking about Solunar tables it worked for me on the ocean for salmon but no luck on a full moon as they[salmon] feed all night and I have never tried it in freshwater yet ,will let you know after my trip to mammoth this week.
The tables are usually published in most fishing mags and even some newspapers there are 4 periods in 24 hours 2 Minors and 2 majors ,minors last an hour majors 2 hours
I just hope someone told the fish in mammoth
Tight lines

INDOANGLER2
05-22-2007, 08:18 AM
I believe the moon or solunar tables, the tides amd weather all have something to do with the fish activity. I don't understand it all, but take a look at all the reports over the past week and from the High Sierra's to the Kern River to local lakes and the ocean, in general fishing was pretty slow all over the place.

Just my uneducated take on it. Good question.