PDA

View Full Version : The Opener is Right Around the Corner....................

Lunker1979
01-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Alright gentlemen, the opener is right around the corner and I'm starting to get prepared. We generally head up on Sunday and stay until Thursday. We usually stay at Silver Lake Resort or June Lake Campground. We fish the whole loop, Convict, and or course Crowley. I think this year we are going to try that Pleasant Valley Reservoir that everyone seems to be talking about. Does anyone else have any suggetions on some hot places that we may be missing?? We are looking for places to use spinning tackle.....we tried fly fishing one year and just never really got into it. Thanks for you insight................ :banana:

sweetfish
01-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Owens river, mammoth creek, Twin Lakes, San Jaoquin river, and hot creek. Good luck

Troutman65
01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
8) getting closer every day now. I would sugest hitting up Irvine lake to get into shape and get the rust off before you go to the Sierras . Irvive lake has stocked Brown , Brook , and Steelhead trout as well as Rainbow trout.

Good luck fishing and see you on the water

Troutman65

Joshua
01-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I wouldnt fish PVR for at least 2 weeks after the opener. PVR will get hammered by everyone that is heading up for the opener. There are literally 100 cars and the power plant and at least that at the Dam on the Friday before the opener.
I prefer to fish the creeks around Bishop for the Opener. Intake II produces some good fish, but Crowley seems to produce more bigger fish. Convict has a big crowd for the opener. Alot of the pressure will depend on the weather, if there is alot of snow, the creeks dont get planted and that puts more pressure on the lakes that are ice free.
I will be up there freezing my ***** off catching stockers

aboos
01-30-2008, 01:27 PM
imo..if you want big fish that fight like big fish, stick with crowley, hands downs.

i also like to fish intake II when im in bishop..

george lake for the evening bite

sweetfish
01-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I read another thread from a buddy of yours looking for some detailed info on the sierras.

Spinners: Panther Martins (black w/ gold blade, rainbow trout, brown trout)
Blue Fox Vibrax Spinners (Gold, Silver, Rainbow - all in size 0 or 1)
Mepps Spinners (rainbow trout size 0)

kastmasters (for twin lakes, virginia lakes and June lake loop) Gold or silver/blue - 1/4 oz

Rapalas (floating and countdown) Size 5 or 7 Silver/black back and rainbow trout (works everywhere - rivers and lakes)
Fishing in the river with these cast to other side and let it swim back across, then slow retrieve in. The same goes with fishing spinners in the river.

Berkley trout worms - split shot or on a clear bobber - drift with the current on the river

Salmon eggs works good also.

Hope this helps you out. This is what worked for me during the summer months. I think it will work in the winter months.

retired/lasd
01-30-2008, 02:28 PM
This will be my 38th opener, every year since 1970. ( My 50th year fishing the Sierras). I always go up on Wed. prior to opening, get my favorite campsite in Rock Creek. I spend Wed and Thurs fishing the Owens River In Bishop. The day before the opener I go target shooting and pine cone collecting as I always spend the first 10 days of the season camping/fishing/shooting. I do all of my fishing on the Upper Owens as that is where I learned to flyfish 50 years ago.

If its like the last few years there were not the crowds as in other years. French Campground in Rock Creek last year had over 30 vacant sites on the Saturday night of the opener.

My goal this season is 90 days in the Sierras, last season was 74 days camping/fishing.

Retired and lovin it......

LBanales
01-30-2008, 05:14 PM
retired/lasd,
When I grow up, I want to be just like you. This is my 14th straight opener... working and hating it! Last year I spent 10 days in the sierras. My goal is 21. Water levels will be interesting. Last years were rough. We'll see how the area around will handle (hopefully) normal water levels after the lack of last year.
I guess nobody has said "wrong place to post this" because evrybody is already getting pumped! :banana: Heading up Thursday morning, and hopefully never leaving! But probably will have to come back to reality Tuesday!
BGH . . . where you at??!!

mammoth xfactor
01-30-2008, 09:00 PM
I usually fish Convict for the opener. Trolling from the kayak just off the ledges around the north shore. Then I anchor in the back side, north of the inlet just out of casting range from the shore anglers and get after it. If you see me on a mango colored X Factor give me a hollar. Being at the lower elevation Convict is always ice free by that time. Crowley's got the fish and the crowds to go with it. The lakes basin road is still covered with snow until May. When the lakes are starting to thaw (Twin, Mary, Mamie and George) and the road is covered, we pull our kayaks up there on our snowmobiles. There is NEVER anyone up there at that time and the fish go nuts when they see something new to eat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

sierraslam
01-30-2008, 09:22 PM
I love the fact its only February and everyone is already pumped for Opener! I'll be in Mammoth, and fishing Convict, Grant, Lundy and all the creeks. Let's geter done! Good fishin!

J-hook
02-01-2008, 08:20 AM
"Alright gentlemen, the opener is right around the corner..."

Gaawd, it'll never get here! :bawl: :bang:

one_leg
02-01-2008, 08:52 AM
So what does an angler need to be safe, and comfortable, in the Sierras during the opener?

O_L

retired/lasd
02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
No. 1. don't be drinking and driving, I don't want to get killed/ injured by some idiot thats been drinking since sunrise and driving on 395 or any of the other roads.
No. 2 Be prepared for any type of weather, I have been to openers where its been bone chilling, winter type storm with hurricane force winds. But there have been years where the weather has been warm t-shirt weather.
No. 3. Bring enough fishing equipment from home, it can be very expensive to buy assorted supplies once up there.
No. 4. Practice catch and release

one_leg
02-01-2008, 12:14 PM
So what you're saying is, kinda like last September, but with snow?

That's cool. I was prepared then too. I don't know anyone that is willing to let me drive their car, and since I never drink and drive, you don't have to worry about me killing you on the highway. :wink:

One_Leg

Sierra_Smitty
02-01-2008, 12:25 PM
First off.....there is no wrong place to fish the Sierra Opener. The closest you can get to fishing the wrong place is to be fishing PVR or the Lower Owens which in my opinion is a stupid place to be fishing since those waters are open all year around. The biggest average fish and hardest fighing fish, as some have already mentioned, are usually at Crowley but you'll find very similar conditions and quality of fish at Bridgeport Reservior. Aside from that your only consideration is whether you want open water or ice fishing. You'll have to go to Mammoth, Viriginal Lakes, or Bishop Creek to do any ice fishing. For open water you can go just about anywhere.

one_leg
02-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey Jered, I hope you are feeling better buddy!

How much snow did you get from the latest storm? It sounded like you were in for quite a bit of the white stuff!!!

Rick hasn't posted any pics from Sabrina lately, how is the ice at South Lake and Sabrina?
What is the latest people are able to ice fish up there?

One_Leg

Lunker1979
02-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the responses boys.............How far is Bridgeport from the loop...about an hour or so?? I think we definetely are NOT going to stop at PVR seeing as how it is open all year long. I think we are going to target Crowley just about everyday up there. I've had pretty good luck at Gull lake as well as some pan sizers at Silver Lake......I just was hoping to tie into some bigger fish. Maybe even pick a day to troll at Convict non stop all day and see what happens. I'm shopping for Bass Boats so maybe I'll even have one of those tp take up there......thanks again for the info gents.....

Fat Albert
02-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Nothing but Crowley for our crew. Beaver cove beach camping with the RV all weekend. Hopefully I will get into some of those Lahontan Cutts this opener, they're up in the 5-8lbs this year. Good luck to all and let's hope the weather is as good as the past couple openers.

BigGameHunter
02-01-2008, 09:46 PM
retired/lasd,
When I grow up, I want to be just like you. This is my 14th straight opener... working and hating it! Last year I spent 10 days in the sierras. My goal is 21. Water levels will be interesting. Last years were rough. We'll see how the area around will handle (hopefully) normal water levels after the lack of last year.
I guess nobody has said "wrong place to post this" because evrybody is already getting pumped! Heading up Thursday morning, and hopefully never leaving! But probably will have to come back to reality Tuesday!
BGH . . . where you at??!!

Copy that retired/lasd and LBanales............ When I'm 10-7 I hope to be working on my 50th year with true friends. There's nothing better than creating tradition with your kids and true friends. Lbanales and I willing be going up and hitting the usual spots.. Convict, Crowley, East Walker and maybe some new hidden honey holes. Given early reports of snow fall its still behind the average but will be interesting where it ends up...... After last year it is well needed. Good luck next year LASD.......... LB its a new year... Good luck to you too..

Tight Lines

BGH

brownbragger
02-02-2008, 09:31 PM
24th year in a row and I'm only 37. I'll be hitting Upper Twin in Bridgeport with all the rest of the BrownbRaggers. You can see our t-shirt up at Rhinos in town...60 pitchers !! :D

johnsfishing
02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Is there a set date for the opener?

johnsfishing

retired/lasd
02-04-2008, 08:14 PM
The opener is always the last Saturday in April which is the 26th this year.

johnsfishing
02-04-2008, 09:29 PM

johnsfishing

calvaryguy23
02-04-2008, 09:31 PM
i cant wait going up to bishop in june actually 19th-23rd if anyone else is there. Hopefully going to have my team 57 shirt by then i hope.

Cal

snoman
02-10-2008, 12:24 AM
when is the season opener? :lol:

aboos
02-10-2008, 05:35 AM
The opener is always the last Saturday in April which is the 26th this year.

xtranzman
02-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Cant wait to get up there.

X

SoadTilt15
02-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Hey guys, im plannin on goin up there last weekend of March. Is there any fishin up by intake2 at that time of the year?

retired/lasd
02-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Hey guys, im plannin on goin up there last weekend of March. Is there any fishin up by intake2 at that time of the year?

That area is closed until opening day. The only area you can fish year around is PVR and the Owens River.

retired/lasd
02-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Correction to my last post, The East Walker, Hot Creek and Upper Owens above Benton Crossing are now open year around with restrictions.

flytyingreloader
02-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Lunker--hello, neighbor!

LASD--retired Riverside SD here. 74 days in the Sierras? HEAVEN!

I've been hitting the Sierras since 1967, but have yet to try Opening Day or Weekend. The earliest trip was a few years ago, when several friends and I spent a Sunday-Thursday the second week of May. ROGER THAT to prepare for any and all weather--I got snowed on pretty well in early June this past year. Global warming, my aspirations.

I might give the Opener a try this year. Drive up Monday, stay through Friday. I like The Loop, and Grant Lake has produced some BIG rainbows for me over the years. Silver Lake produced some nice browns for me last year, to 16" on that June visit. Only 3 trips last year, had some cases/subpoenas that messed up fishing (and hunting!) the past 2 years.

ZenDragon
02-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Rhinos in Bridgeport, great eats there! Maybe see yall there one day. Girlfriends parents own a house right across from the reservoir! I see you're also a Homeboy from the Valley...