PDA

View Full Version : 1st bug in my new hoop

klocked
01-30-2008, 12:14 AM
When fishing from a pier, I usually drop my hoop net over the rail in the hopes of landing a legal hali. This time my son wanted to drop the hoop down, before doing so and unknown to me, he put a top smelt that he caught earlier into the bait holder. It got dark and we called it a night and started packing up. No legal hali this time. I was about to pull up the hoop when my son asked if he could. So I handed him the rope then resumed packing up some other things. He gets the hoop up and over the rail and lays it down. After I was done with the rest of the gear I was walked towards the hoop and nearly tripped over something. I bent down to get a closer look and found this!!

[attachment=0:0e114]IM002518.JPG[/attachment:0e114]

I asked my son if he saw the lobster in the hoop when he pulled it up, he said no and if he knew it was in there he probably would have screamed. He had never seen one before. I thought how much luckier could we be to catch a lobster without any bait, that was before I found the smelt in the bait bag. :lol:

It was a great addition to our dinner!

Klocked

one_leg
01-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Congrats to you both.

O_L

umoa
01-30-2008, 03:25 PM
nice bug. Thought it was illegal to keep fish coming out of hoopnets.

klocked
01-30-2008, 09:34 PM
nice bug. Thought it was illegal to keep fish coming out of hoopnets.

I guess, once again I haven't made myself clear enough... so I'll elaborate.

When I fish on a pier, I use a fishing pole rigged with either bait or a lure to try to catch fish. Once I hook a fish, if it's small, I'll reel it all the way up. If it's big and there's a possibility that my lightweight setup cant handle the job, I'll guide the fish into the hoop net to land the fish. Hence the term "landing net". I cant imagine the possibility of actually catching fish with a hoop net by itself.

umoa, what you are saying is correct though. Here's the section from the DFG regulations that applies:

28.65. General. Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook and line or
by hand. Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays except:
(a) San Francisco and San Pablo bays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the west Carquinez
Bridge, where only one line with not more than three hooks may be used.
(b) On public piers, no person shall use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two
nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.
(c) When rockfish (genus Sebastes) or lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) are aboard or in possession,
where only one line with not more than two hooks may be used pursuant to Sections
28.55 or 28.27, respectively.
(d) No gaff hook shall be used to take or assist in landing any finfish shorter than the minimum
size limit. For the purpose of this section a gaff hook is any hook with or without a handle used
to assist in landing fish or to take fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily
in its mouth. No person shall take finfish from any boat or other floating device in ocean
waters without having a landing net in possession or available for immediate use to assist in
landing undersize fish of species having minimum size limits; the opening of any such landing
net shall be not less than eighteen inches in diameter.

CoffeaRobusta
01-31-2008, 07:36 PM
While hooping for lobster, I pulled up a small halibut once. I've also nearly pulled up perch when crabbing in Bodega Bay. While the net was in the water the fish would be pushed against the net if i pulled fast enough. But as soon as the net cleared the water they would flip their way out of the hoop.

ahhvtec
02-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Wow what an amazing story! I would have jumped for joy and bought a lotto ticket for sure! Congrats...

BIGRED KILLA
02-06-2008, 09:46 PM
looks like a tasty bug good job.

Bigred

klocked
02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the replies!!

I've intentionally sent the hoop to the bottom with bait a few times since then for nada... :?

Klocked

Greg Madrigal
02-16-2008, 11:09 AM
HA! U live and learn eh?! So, how was she??? Mustav been good since u now bait the net! :wink: Thanx 4 the report Klocked!

GM<><