PDA

View Full Version : TJ and VG went Surf fishing 1-29-08

tacklejunkie
01-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Met VG @ Big Fish this morning at 5:30am.
We grabbed some baits, lures and line and went back down to BCSB.

First few casts I hook up what I think is a Corbina.
Next couple of casts and the WSP's were all over the place.

VG was missing bites all morning and the fish died off, so we moved to a pier.
We didn't catch anything at the pier but a couple of huge 2lb crabs long distance C&R :lol:

Then we tried the wedge for the first time. VG had some hits but no commitments. I threw the LC for an hour or two and no bites.

Next we tried another good spot at BCSB straight from the beach. VG hooked up a BSP and all the sudden he goes BENDO on a fat fish. We thought it was a hali by the fight but I think it's another corbina.

Anyways, no skunk for us and some new species on the list. Enjoy the pics :wink: We had a blast today again as usual. Laughs all day. Good times VG!
Maybe we'll do it again tomorrow.

All sea creatures released.

Corbina?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Salt%20W%20VG%201-29-08/DSC_2629.jpg
Lots of these around today
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Salt%20W%20VG%201-29-08/DSC_2631.jpg
VG caught a snail after farming like 5 huge 2lb crabs lol :banana:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Salt%20W%20VG%201-29-08/DSC_2633.jpg
A starfish ate my squid
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Salt%20W%20VG%201-29-08/DSC_2634.jpg
VG's biggest BSP
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Salt%20W%20VG%201-29-08/DSC_2636.jpg
VG's Monster! Fought HARD! He was complaining his hand was tired. Aw, poor baby! :mrgreen:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Salt%20W%20VG%201-29-08/DSC_2637.jpg
Sunset
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Salt%20W%20VG%201-29-08/DSC_2638.jpg

vanillagurilla
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
lol had fun even thou we didnt catch much. those lil perch fight hard i like it. and that whatever it was, was pulling good too. it wasnt my hand foo it was my arm from the butt of the rod haha . i think its not long enough lol.

tacklejunkie
01-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Dude I think I'm gonna get one of those 10' carbon fiber light line surf spinning rods at Big Fish for Surf fishin'. :mrgreen: Those were awesome!
That and my 7' Daiwa V/Cardiff can cast a mile and I won't have to beat on my bronzeback or FW gear anymore in the surf. That new 7 foot casting rod really helped getting the lures out there, and for $30 was well worth it!

I'm done with squid/shrimp/chovies and all that in the surf. Too much PITA and I'd rather bring a spinning rig and a lure casting rig instead of 3 rods, a sand spike and bait box etc. I'm more mobile and catch more with plastics, scents and lures anyways.

one_leg
01-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I have a feeling you are gonna be posting your very own First Legal Hali report very soon.

I'd be down for some BCSB inlet fishing one of these days. We need to talk a lil bit soon.

Thanks for the report,
One_Leg

Skyler
01-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Nice job out there, guys. Looks like the corbina are starting to come in, he he he.

Dude I think I'm gonna get one of those 10' carbon fiber light line surf spinning rods at Big Fish for Surf fishin'. :mrgreen: Those were awesome!

I tell you, I love my new 9 foot medium light for surf. It really helps with keeping your line above the waves (keeps it in the strike zone longer). Plus it makes casting effortless, and allows you to use lighter weights.

tacklejunkie
01-30-2008, 10:17 AM
I can quite literally cast a 3/4 oz C-rig with my 7'4" rod 80 yards or more. The spool on my Sahara holds 90 yards of 6lb P-line CXX, and I cast all but 5% of the spool. If I get snagged up or broken off, time to re spool, and I bring a bulk spool of 6lb CXX with me. I've been using 3' of 2lb CXX for leader. Sufficient surf casting distance.

I just don't like using that FW rod in the surf and over it's weight ratings. :shock: With a longer rod like I saw down there made for the surf but not bulky like an ocean rod, I won't even have to stand near the water to cast my whole spool off. Will still probably use the same line and sinker.

BTW, no signs of corrosion on my magnesium framed fuego yet after two trips to the salt. All I did was rinse in hot water and spray Salt-X on it afterwards, then rinsed again and dried with a paper towel. It has a waxy feel to it now from the Salt-X stuff. It might even work good on that surf rod for more line capacity (6lb 135yds) and was designed to cast like an animal.
If I'm lucky, I might be casting 100yds from the beach here soon (as if it made any difference besides keeping me drier)

Skyler
01-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I can make it close to 100 yards with 1/2 oz and 4 pound trilene now, but i don't seem to get any bites out there. And yeah, the 9 footer doesn't add a whole lot of casting distance compared to my 7 1/2 footer, but it sure makes fishing the breakers a lot easie, and it balances really well with the extended foregrip. last time i was using less weight and only casting about 50 yards, as most of the fish i've been catching in the surf have hit well within 50 yards. I've started using 3/8ths instead of a full half ounce. Doesn't overload the rod as much, and makes everything feel way more sensitive and effortless. Speaking of 2 pound test, i've honestly been thinking of spooling mine with 2 pound pline cxx. Just a little leary with summer coming up and the bigger fish starting to show their faces. What do you think?

tacklejunkie
01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
2lb CXX is amazing line. Any P-line CXX I have loads of confidence in.
No place have I learned to use my drag quicker and better than in the surf.
The only bad thing about 2lb line and the beach is fishing from the rocks. Expect to lose some fish on the rocks with 2lb line for sure. I lost a fish that burried itself in the rocks yesterday (didn't get to see it but it fought hard) and another that rubbed me off on the rocks when a wave rolled in. It's probably best to keep it as a leader as your main line takes quite a beating.

cappo
01-30-2008, 12:19 PM
nice job on the winter corbina

bsp
01-30-2008, 02:14 PM
TJ: Baby yellowfin croaker
VG: corbina.

sansou
01-30-2008, 02:36 PM

Thank you for that!

Great job nevertheless guys! Surf fishing sure is addictive....and it only gets better when the temps warm up and the eye candy come out in full force. ha ha!!

Wingnut
01-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Another successful surf report! I like it when that happens... I'm gonna get back out there this weekend. :wink: :mrgreen:

sansou
01-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Another successful surf report! I like it when that happens... I'm gonna get back out there this weekend. :wink: :mrgreen:

You should have kept that quiet Arthur cause now your going to have FNN paparazzi chase you down! Good luck out there!

Wingnut
01-30-2008, 03:54 PM

You should have kept that quiet Arthur cause now your going to have FNN paparazzi chase you down! Good luck out there!

:rofl: I'm in disguise nowadays... :wink: :mrgreen:

Skyler
01-30-2008, 04:12 PM
The only bad thing about 2lb line and the beach is fishing from the rocks. Expect to lose some fish on the rocks with 2lb line for sure. I lost a fish that burried itself in the rocks yesterday (didn't get to see it but it fought hard) and another that rubbed me off on the rocks when a wave rolled in. It's probably best to keep it as a leader as your main line takes quite a beating.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna give it a try as my mainline after this weekend (the stren 4# i have spooled still has another trip or twpo to the surf left in it before it bites the big one, lol). Not gonna be fishing too near the rocks anyway anymore, lol. They annoy the hell out of me, and that defeats the purpose of me drivng an hour+ to get some really relaxing fishing in. But yeah, 2 pound sounds hella fun for bsp's. I'm pretty sure the lighter line will increase my casting distance, and in the process reduce the effort needed to reach 50 yards or so. Long casting isn't so important to me as easy casting. My drag and added spool capacity can make up the difference if I hook something big. And I hear you about adusting that drag quickly. kind makes me wish i had bought a rear drag model. Lately I start out really tight for longer casting and more sensitivity, and feel my way though the settings after a hookup, on the fish's first run. But yeah, you'll like the longer lighter rods. When you pick up the carbon fiber rod hit me up, i gotta check out the action on that baby. Never seen a rod in that material. Late.

tacklejunkie
01-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Nice! I thought that was a croaker. I couldn't hear him because of the waves, but I could feel a vibration coming from the fish that lead me to believe he might have been "croaking" or barking in some way or another :lol: He was a cool little fish though. His fins aren't yellow though? I actually thought he was a spotfin croaker to be honest, but I guess he has no spot either :mrgreen:

JSAUCE818
01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
DUDE! GOOD JOB! THEM BEANERS SURE FIGHT HARD,,, :mrgreen:

vanillagurilla
01-30-2008, 04:49 PM
yeah i seen some pics today TJ and the spotfins have a black spot where the pectoral fins come out of the body. we were both wrong haha.

tacklejunkie
01-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Yeah, I think I'm gonna give it a try as my mainline after this weekend (the stren 4# i have spooled still has another trip or twpo to the surf left in it before it bites the big one, lol). Not gonna be fishing too near the rocks anyway anymore, lol. They annoy the hell out of me, and that defeats the purpose of me drivng an hour+ to get some really relaxing fishing in. But yeah, 2 pound sounds hella fun for bsp's. I'm pretty sure the lighter line will increase my casting distance, and in the process reduce the effort needed to reach 50 yards or so. Long casting isn't so important to me as easy casting. My drag and added spool capacity can make up the difference if I hook something big. And I hear you about adusting that drag quickly. kind makes me wish i had bought a rear drag model. Lately I start out really tight for longer casting and more sensitivity, and feel my way though the settings after a hookup, on the fish's first run. But yeah, you'll like the longer lighter rods. When you pick up the carbon fiber rod hit me up, i gotta check out the action on that baby. Never seen a rod in that material. Late.

I wouldn't want to try casting any reasonable amount of weight on 2lb test, so hopefully a light weight will work out the same for you. Personally, I dig the 6lb w/ 2lb leader. I release everything I catch now days so if I lose a fish to the rocks, it's no big deal. The rod I like is rated for the line and weight I like to use, which is why I'll be buying it and why I don't need lighter line or weight :wink:

Also, the rod isn't Woven Carbon cored. It's just the outside of the rod to make it look spiffy. Woven carbon wouldn't make a good rod on it's own. You'd need carbon tubing or a combination of carbon tubing and rod. They sell the stuff down at the hobby shop actually. One of the reasons I like the rod is because of how skinny the butt end is and it has a fat casting knob on the end. Also, there is a space from the reel seat to the butt grip that is bare woven carbon fiber that looks killer. Go down to Big Fish.. you'll see them down there. They have good stuff. I stocked up on those 1/2oz Megabait live jigs in various colors down there.
I believe the rod was up over $100.. but I'm not positive. I'll pick one up next time I'm down there after I give it a good look over. If it's not a 2 piece I won't even be buying it.. (can't transport a 10' rod)

vanillagurilla
01-30-2008, 05:13 PM
i think next time TJ im gona try and use my 9 foot fly rod and see what happens. probly wont even have to dodge the surf or change my sox like last time haha.

Skyler
01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't want to try casting any reasonable amount of weight on 2lb test, so hopefully a light weight will work out the same for you. Personally, I dig the 6lb w/ 2lb leader. I release everything I catch now days so if I lose a fish to the rocks, it's no big deal. The rod I like is rated for the line and weight I like to use, which is why I'll be buying it and why I don't need lighter line or weight :wink:

Also, the rod isn't Woven Carbon cored. It's just the outside of the rod to make it look spiffy. Woven carbon wouldn't make a good rod on it's own. You'd need carbon tubing or a combination of carbon tubing and rod. They sell the stuff down at the hobby shop actually. One of the reasons I like the rod is because of how skinny the butt end is and it has a fat casting knob on the end. Also, there is a space from the reel seat to the butt grip that is bare woven carbon fiber that looks killer. Go down to Big Fish.. you'll see them down there. They have good stuff. I stocked up on those 1/2oz Megabait live jigs in various colors down there.
I believe the rod was up over $100.. but I'm not positive. I'll pick one up next time I'm down there after I give it a good look over. If it's not a 2 piece I won't even be buying it.. (can't transport a 10' rod)

Oh, I see. I though it was a solid CF rod. Tripped me out, lol. As for the weight thing, last weekend I used 3/8ths all day, and i didn't break off on a single cast, and that was just plain old stren. i'm sure the cxx will do fine in 2 pound with 3/8ths. My casting style isn't as snappy as yours anyway. I rely more on leverage and smoothness for my distance. We'll try it and see. At the very worst i'll lose a few fish and switch back to 4 pound. Tight lines.

City Dad
01-31-2008, 11:26 AM
...and it only gets better when the temps warm up and the eye candy come out in full force. ha ha!!

Eeeew! It's comments like this that discourage me from going to the beach in my hip-boot garters and Orvis European Cut Wet-wading Hammock any more! (I have a brain too ya know!!!)

tacklejunkie
01-31-2008, 05:30 PM

Oh, I see. I though it was a solid CF rod. Tripped me out, lol. As for the weight thing, last weekend I used 3/8ths all day, and i didn't break off on a single cast, and that was just plain old stren. i'm sure the cxx will do fine in 2 pound with 3/8ths. My casting style isn't as snappy as yours anyway. I rely more on leverage and smoothness for my distance. We'll try it and see. At the very worst i'll lose a few fish and switch back to 4 pound. Tight lines.

Another reason I don't like lighter weight.
Is because 3/4oz will stick to the bottom better, Where I'd like my bait to be. But yeah, all this is pointless..

vanillagurilla
01-31-2008, 05:40 PM
always remember... surf perch feed off the bottom. lol. yo tj.. got some new grubs to try this weekend.. thanx gary!

tacklejunkie
01-31-2008, 06:22 PM
always remember... surf perch feed off the bottom. lol. yo tj.. got some new grubs to try this weekend.. thanx gary!

Nah, I think they feed from top to bottom. Wingnut hits them on the 1-4' diving LC's and I have hit them the second the bait hits the water before. I'm just hoping my sinker will bump off a Hali's head and piss him off enough to attack my bait :lol:
I'll try to avoid friday traffic or I'd go to the beach with you tomorrow mang. Gotta do Perris on Saturday! Gonna stay local tomorrow.

Skyler
01-31-2008, 07:12 PM

Another reason I don't like lighter weight.
Is because 3/4oz will stick to the bottom better, Where I'd like my bait to be. But yeah, all this is pointless..

Yeah, you got a point. 3/4 would definitely sit better in the current. But i'm not really set up to cast that much weight , except maybe with my ugly stick, which I reserve for bait & wait due to it's crappy sensitivity. Looking to pick up an 8 foot medium or medium/heavy for the bigger stuff. $2700 worth of tax return, he he he. Got a nice sized Diawa Samurai (4000 size) on sale already, just deciding on the rod right now (which I would prefer to spend a bit less than $100 on. Any suggestions, guys?). They didn't have anything that appealed to me at bass pro. Guess i'm gonna have to check out a few other shops.

As for all this being "pointless," what exactly is pointless about it? I was just picking your brain. You have been surf fishing lately too, with a different set of tackle than I, and I just wanted to know what you thought.

vanillagurilla
01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
i use 1/2 oz. on my 7 foot ultra light. works ok but would like alonger rod to keep the line off the surf. gona try my 9 foot 6wt. fly rod next time.

Skyler
01-31-2008, 08:08 PM
i use 1/2 oz. on my 7 foot ultra light. works ok but would like a longer rod to keep the line off the surf. gona try my 9 foot 6wt. fly rod next time.

A 9' fly rod with a spinning reel on it? You could probably use your left hand to hold the line, and get fatty leverage on the cast, samurai style, he he. Might be a little weird to work a lure though, lol. Hit me up though if you wanna hit the surf this weekend. Gonna be out there on saturday. Late.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-01-2008, 07:41 AM
TJ, LIKE ALWAYS GOOD JOB. GARY GOT ONE OF THOSE RODS, AND IT IS NICE FOR THE PRICE. IT CAST A MILE. NEXT TIME YOUR AT BOLSA, GIVE THE RESERVE A TRY. HARD BAITS(LCS) AND DROP SHOT WORK GOOD THERE IF THEY ARE IN THERE. YOU WILL KNOW WITHIN 30MIN. THIS REG. WHO ALSO HAS 2 OF THOSE 10' RODS, TOLD ME HE GOT A 29"HALI DROP SHOTTING THOSE, 4" TRICK MINNOWS THERE 2 WEEKS AGO. SEE YOU OUT THERE SOMETIME, AND PEACE OUT MIKE THE PMB....

tacklejunkie
02-01-2008, 08:06 AM
TJ, LIKE ALWAYS GOOD JOB. GARY GOT ONE OF THOSE RODS, AND IT IS NICE FOR THE PRICE. IT CAST A MILE. NEXT TIME YOUR AT BOLSA, GIVE THE RESERVE A TRY. HARD BAITS(LCS) AND DROP SHOT WORK GOOD THERE IF THEY ARE IN THERE. YOU WILL KNOW WITHIN 30MIN. THIS REG. WHO ALSO HAS 2 OF THOSE 10' RODS, TOLD ME HE GOT A 29"HALI DROP SHOTTING THOSE, 4" TRICK MINNOWS THERE 2 WEEKS AGO. SEE YOU OUT THERE SOMETIME, AND PEACE OUT MIKE THE PMB....
Mike, you are always good for some solid advice bro! Greatly appreciated as always. :wink:
Thanks for the info on the rod, the reserve and the baits!
I did not realize the reserve was legal grounds for me to test.
I believe I will be grabbing one of those rods next time around. Do you know if they are two or one piece dude? That might be my only hang up, but I'm getting a truck soon so it might not be such a big problem after all.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-01-2008, 08:35 AM
THOSE RODS ARE 2 PIECE, AND I THINK HE HAS CASTING, OR SPINNING. ME AND GARY STILL DONT HAVE A CLUE WHAT THE LINE RATING IS. ITS IN GERMAN. GOOD LUCK .PARK AT THE LITTLE LOT AT THE CORNER OF PCH AND WARNER THERES A MOBILE HOME THERE.. GOOD LUCK MIKE THE PMB...

tacklejunkie
02-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Got my new waders today! Can't wait to go surf fishing again now. Gonna grab one of them spiffy poles and hope I don't get washed on my *** out there. :lol:

Anything I should know about waders in the surf? Dude at the store told me to use a belt so water can't get in.

City Dad
02-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Got my new waders today! Can't wait to go surf fishing again now. Gonna grab one of them spiffy poles and hope I don't get washed on my *** out there. :lol:

Anything I should know about waders in the surf? Dude at the store told me to use a belt so water can't get in.

keep that belt tight. wear something absorbent underneath as you will sweat in them no matter how cold the water is. Take a whiz before you put them on.

Wingnut
02-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Tacklejunkie wrote: Anything I should know about waders in the surf? Dude at the store told me to use a belt so water can't get in.

Be on the constant look out for rogue waves, they come when you least expect it, believe me I know. :lol: Don't lose your concentration for a second, especially while fishing on or near rocks or rip tides. Practice your "waders escape" routine!

If you bought the type of waders that have the boots sewn in, you're ready to go. If you bought the kind with the neoprene socks, make sure that you get some kind of boots or booties to wear over them so they don't get worn out and/or puncture.

Good luck out there Casey, and be careful! I'm heading out tomorrow myself. :wink: :mrgreen:

tacklejunkie
02-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I've been in several pair of waders before but they all leaked on me after a few trips. :?:
This is like my third or fourth pair by now. Hoping they hold out for a while!
Was just wondering if the surf was gonna play any tricks on me vs bobbin' around with waders in a tube.
I'll keep it mellow my first time and watch the waves. Thanks for the tips. :wink:

PUDD MASTER BAITER
02-02-2008, 07:45 AM
TJ KEEP YOUR BELT TIGHT ON YOUR WADERS. AT THE PUDD 25YRS AGO. WE USE TO WADE OUT, EVERY SUMMER EVENING OFF THE SWIM BEACH. THIS YOUNG GUY LAUGHED, AT US WHEN WE TOLD HIM TO WEAR A BELT ,IN CASE HE WALKED OFF A DROP OFF. THEY DRAGGED HIS BODY OUT OF THE LAKE ,ACCROSS FROM SAIL BOAT, AT THE SHALLOW WATER BOUY POINT. HE HAD WALKED OFF ONE STEP TO FAR . ITS A 20 TO 30FT DROP OFF. THEY SOON DID NOT ALLOW ANY ONE TO WADE AFTER THAT... GOOD LUCK ,AND LET ME KNOW HOW THE RESERVES DOING,IF YOU TRY IT. GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE MIKE THE PMB...

tacklejunkie
02-02-2008, 06:15 PM
TJ KEEP YOUR BELT TIGHT ON YOUR WADERS. AT THE PUDD 25YRS AGO. WE USE TO WADE OUT, EVERY SUMMER EVENING OFF THE SWIM BEACH. THIS YOUNG GUY LAUGHED, AT US WHEN WE TOLD HIM TO WEAR A BELT ,IN CASE HE WALKED OFF A DROP OFF. THEY DRAGGED HIS BODY OUT OF THE LAKE ,ACCROSS FROM SAIL BOAT, AT THE SHALLOW WATER BOUY POINT. HE HAD WALKED OFF ONE STEP TO FAR . ITS A 20 TO 30FT DROP OFF. THEY SOON DID NOT ALLOW ANY ONE TO WADE AFTER THAT... GOOD LUCK ,AND LET ME KNOW HOW THE RESERVES DOING,IF YOU TRY IT. GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE MIKE THE PMB...

The boueys out to the south/south-east of the cove! That's right where I caught my first puddfish! at the 20-30 foot dropoff coming off the shallow spot by the markers. I could see how someone could easily step off right there! :shock:

Thanks for the extra warnings guys. I'll keep my eyes/ears open and practice my wader bailout a few times. I could see how a small tip over in the surf could spell disaster really quick.

Skyler
02-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Another thing to add, from personal experience, lol...Never turn your back on the surf while re-rigging!! Those waders hold water in just as well as they keep it out!