PDA

View Full Version : Big Dummy

Sandman
01-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Ok I'm a big dummy. I've got a '06 Bayliner with a 3.0 Mercruiser. I keep the boat covered and store it outside. Went to check on it this evening to find
the canvas cover in the boat instead of over it. Water had pooled up behind the steering wheel area and stretched the canvas cover. Lots of water in the boat. To make matters worse, I hadn't removed the drain plug. Long story short, the boat was full of water including the engine area. I would say that the lower third of the engine was under water. Any of you gearheads know how bad I might be screwed?
thanks, Sandman

Cap'n Ron
01-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Sandman chill out!
As long as the engine was not running you should be all set and good to go once you drain the water.
Just check your oil and maybe give the electrical connections a shot of silicone spray.

Thats another reason I keep my plugs out of the boat till I'm ready to launch.

CR

Daryl
01-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Same thing happened to my neighbor's 07 Chaparral deck boat. I went to check on mine and on the way out drove by his. His cover is ruined from the stretching and it looks like it may have bent the windshield before the cover gave in.

The first thing I did was check to make sure he took the plug out, which he did.

Make sure there is no place for the water to start pooling on top of the cover. You may need to make a trip to Lowes to build something simple to prop up any low spots under your cover.

idavis
01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
If you run by Kmart (at least the one in Santa Clarita has them) they make some plastic round posts that you can vary the size. You adjust the height by putting in or removing sections of the post. They are made to put underneath a boat cover to keep it propped up so the rain drains off the sides and doesn't collect. Don't remember the price, but they should be right next to the boat covers.

Isaac

Cap'n Ron
01-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Another reason why I'm glad I don't need a cover for the Shammy. PITA, putting em on and taking em off.

Hose and go.

CR

Sparky70
01-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Sandman,
Had the same situation about 10 years ago. I live in the desert, had my 19ftr. parked in my driveway....along came a thunderstorm it was a real gullywasher. Went out to check my boat...........IT WAZ full of water up to the seats. Always pulled the plug after using it. (had my plug hooked to a line so if it came out I wouldn't loose it) Seems like my young kids then decided to put the plug in while fiddling around in my driveway. I thought S**t house-mouse my engine is ruined. Drained my boat checked the oil for water (none), took it to the lake the next week-end...........IT RAN JUST FINE! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Cap'n Ron
01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Bingo.

CR

GeordyBass
01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Ok I'm a big dummy. I've got a '06 Bayliner with a 3.0 Mercruiser. I keep the boat covered and store it outside. Went to check on it this evening to find
the canvas cover in the boat instead of over it. Water had pooled up behind the steering wheel area and stretched the canvas cover. Lots of water in the boat. To make matters worse, I hadn't removed the drain plug. Long story short, the boat was full of water including the engine area. I would say that the lower third of the engine was under water. Any of you gearheads know how bad I might be screwed?
thanks, Sandman
hope your engine runs fine...no water in oil no problem.....Thats Why i prefer outboards..... :mrgreen:

Cap'n Ron
01-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Ima gonna leava thata outboarda comment all alonio

CR

p.s.
Inboards Rock!

Sandman
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
thanks for the replies, i was in a bit of a panic last night. As I was walking up to the boat I noticed that the tires looked flat and i thought WTF? Then I realize that the weight of the water in the boat was causing that. Didn't get a chance to investigate a whole lot last night because it was dark and I was getting rained on. Looks like no water in oil. Didn't try to start it up though. I just hope we get a few days without rain so it can air out and doesn't smell like a bag of a$$holes in a week. It was a sight though, water from bow to stern up to the seats in the rear.

Tail Chaser
01-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I would think some standing water is not likely to get into the engine.
The engines are made to hold coolant water and oil inside the engine.
So the engine is basically waterproof up to the valve covers or more.
The main issue is the stuff that is not supposed to get wet.
Like starters, Alternators, Wiring plug ins, Wood decking,stringers,etc
Hopefully your starter and alternator is not at the bottom of the motor and submerged in standing water.
I would spray everything metal and electrical with WD 40 that stuff is supposed to disperse water and be a metal protector. Un plug the electrical connectors and spray in there to. I would put some dielectric grease in all plugins.Get some spray electrical parts cleaner.Its like a carb cleaner that leaves no film.Spray that in the starter, alternator to get the excess WD 40 out. before starting the motor.(if the internals were soaked with Water/WD40)
West Marine/Boaters World has compact cabin heaters. Has like three settings and a anti freeze setting.Being very carefull of placement. (fire hazard) Run the heater on low with the boat cover back on should help dry out all carpet, wood,etc.
I keep one of them heaters plugged in my engine compartment during the winter. Turns on at 40 degrees.No worry of engine freezing/cracking when temps drop to 19 degrees where I live.

Tail Chaser
01-30-2008, 12:58 PM

CR

p.s.
Inboards Rock!
Good thing Ron,
Would not be very nice to mention having a big heavy outboard weighing down the back of your boat/transom and being in the way all the time while fishing off the back of the boat.
Not to mention if you had the misfortune of leaving your boat full of rainwater.
And your transom ended up with some dry rot in the future. Now having all that weight of your entire engine/trans being supported only on a rotting transom. Looks like we could have a new artificial reef :mrgreen:
Keeping your thoughts/comments to yourself can be such a good thing :secret:

Tail Chaser
01-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Bingo.

CR
Thats why I like self bailing decks :D

breeze71
01-30-2008, 09:00 PM
I had a similar problem with rain folding in the canvas in to my boat. I prop a cheap camera tripod topped with a reversed salad bowl under the canvas & in the middle of the boat. I put the reversed salad bowl so that the tip of the tripod doesn't tear the canvas. It's cheap and it works.

GeordyBass
01-31-2008, 07:48 PM

CR

p.s.
Inboards Rock!
LOL....im just mesin around....