PDA

View Full Version : OWENS RIVER DRIFT/PVR w/ Sierra Drifters

brant
01-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Went out with Sierra Drifters for my first ever fly fishing experience. Spent saturday 1/19 on the Lower Owens with Phil (fill) at Sierra Drifters. Used a variety of flies to end up catching 7 trout including a beautiful hook-jaw. Then, went freeze-tubing on PVR Sunday. Used a woolly bugger to land about 25 trout (many browns) and lost just as many with TwoBugDoug. Both guides could not have been more helpful, patient and well worth the money. I can't wait to use them again. And now I am hooked on fly fishing. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

fisherkid47
01-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the report. Those are some nice bows you caught, and good to hear you caught a buncha browns :banana: :banana:
I was also just wondering, how do you launch a tube into pvr. I always thought it was impossible with the rocky slopes. Is there another way in cause I am planning to tube it in a few weeks.
Thanks,
fisherkid

brant
01-24-2008, 12:39 AM
if you park at the powerplant end, you can hike down the road about a mile to the dfg ramp.

Devious 1
01-24-2008, 08:01 AM
There are plenty of small trails leading down from the road on either end of the resevoir that you can make your way down to launch your tube from. I usually launch from the north end (power plant) because I hate the hike up that first hill from the South end carrying all of my gear. You do have to hike a little bit but you most definetely don't have to hike a mile in with your tube as brant suggests.

Trout-Slayer77
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the report and nice pics :)

one_leg
01-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Great post. COngrats on the fish.

O_L

fisherkid47
01-24-2008, 04:20 PM
There are plenty of small trails leading down from the road on either end of the resevoir that you can make your way down to launch your tube from. I usually launch from the north end (power plant) because I hate the hike up that first hill from the South end carrying all of my gear. You do have to hike a little bit but you most definetely don't have to hike a mile in with your tube as brant suggests.
I know there are little trails leading down, but the only ones I have seen are the ones going down the steep slopes further down the road from the power plant. Are there trails less steep close to the power plant or by the dam?

smileurinla
01-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Looks like some good times, cant wait to get to the Owens in March. Thanks for the report!

BigGameHunter
01-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Great report.... I am itching to get out there for my first Fly fishing trip also............ Looks like you had a great time..

BGH