PDA

View Full Version : Help with braided line

bonitoboy
01-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Hello, I have been a long fan of FNN for quite a while now but just recently decided to register to post messages. I have started to use braided line for the first time and have some questions. I am hoping that someone could give me some help. First question, I have a spinning reel that I have put 20#braided line on, but I noticed that after a days casting the braided line is bunching up towards the front of the spool, instead of fleshing out evenly like monofilament. This is causing some line to push over the edge and I get a loop, which I need to fix before casting again. I have tried loosening my drag to prevent "burying" in my line, but is this causing the bunching up? Second question, I am hesitant to put braided line on my conventional reel because of all the problems with the spinning reel and I feel that I am just asking for a birds nest or some other unforeseen problem. I really want to get my money's worth out of the braided line instead of scrapping it altogether but it is really affecting the time my lure/bait is in the water. Any recommendations?

one_leg
01-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Dump the Spinner. Keep the Braid.

O_L

sweetfish
01-23-2008, 11:51 AM
I only use spinning reels since I am no good with the casting. I have braided lines on some of my setups and do get the loops once in awhile. This only occurs when I am topwater fishing or jerkbait fishing. If I am cranking, I never get the loop. I just cast straight out every few casts and steady retrieve to tighten the line on the spool. As far as casting reels Everyone in my family has the braid on their reels and does not exprience the same problems as the spinning reels. It also could be the reel, primarily the line roller. I would not give up on the braided line. It is really beneficial when fishing around structure. Gives the extra confidence booster to haul fish out without breaking off.

Hope this helps some and good luck.

Ricky-Ray
01-23-2008, 12:43 PM
It could be that you are not winding on the line tight enough. I have braided/spectra line on all of my conventional reels and I don't have that problem at all. The one thing that you have to remember is that when winding on braided/spectra line it must be wound on tight so it won't dig into itself.

fuj
01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
What kind of spinning reel is it?

Bobbyk
01-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Dump the spectra\braid go mono :oops:

Cangler
01-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Dump the braid/mono and go fireline !

calvaryguy23
01-23-2008, 03:43 PM
hey is spider wire still out there? and is anyone using?

sweetfish
01-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes Spider Wire is still out there. I personally use Spider Wire "Stealth". It seems to work good for me.

bonitoboy
01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
I have a shimano fx4000 ra spinning on a 7 ft shimano calcutta rod and an 6-6 ugly stick lite with a shimano catala conventional.

bonitoboy
01-23-2008, 05:22 PM
I really appreciate the quick replies. Thanks to all!

bonitoboy
01-23-2008, 05:26 PM
It could be that you are not winding on the line tight enough. I have braided/spectra line on all of my conventional reels and I don't have that problem at all. The one thing that you have to remember is that when winding on braided/spectra line it must be wound on tight so it won't dig into itself.
I followed the instructions on the box, maybe I should get a new reel? The reel is something I have used for 15 years, i know that it is cheap but it has never failed me before. If so, any recommendations on a new reel?

jerkit-1
01-23-2008, 09:56 PM
I followed the instructions on the box, maybe I should get a new reel? The reel is something I have used for 15 years, i know that it is cheap but it has never failed me before. If so, any recommendations on a new reel?

If your spinners action, and drag are still smooth, don't can it. Take the braid off and put it on your bait caster. Then fill it with a good quality mono like 15# Berkley big game. With
your two outfits rigged this way, you can cover about anything under 120-ft. quite nicely.
As far as a new reel . How much do you want to pay?

bchbum54
01-24-2008, 10:55 AM
dude, those old Shimano FX reels are awsome, i have had mine for years with no problems. As far as the braid line, you might have too much line on your reel. You should try loosing some line. Braid on baitcasters is awsome. When i first started spectra on my baitcasters, i used heavier line 30lb+ with a short floro topshot. Its easy to remove birds nest with the heavy braided line and it last forever. I use a Henry Pena (I think its called) knot to connect the two, i read it on an issue of WON last year and it works great. i dont think i have heard anyone ever mention this knot but it works.

sweetfish
01-24-2008, 11:46 AM
I have a shimano fx4000 ra spinning on a 7 ft shimano calcutta rod and an 6-6 ugly stick lite with a shimano catala conventional.
dude, those old Shimano FX reels are awsome, i have had mine for years with no problems. As far as the braid line, you might have too much line on your reel. You should try loosing some line. .

I have 2 fx2000. I use one with spider wire for jerkbait fishing and the other with 8lb p-line for twitching floating rapalas. The spider wire rod does get loops once in awhile due to the fact that the line does not get snug on the reel during my retrieve. I just learn to adapt to this by doing smoothing castings instead of quick snap casts. I agree with bchbum's response to the fact there might be too much line on the spool. I had problems like this even with mono by putting on too much line. His advice might correct the situation for you.

calico killer kevin
01-24-2008, 10:30 PM
I agree. I personally don't like braid. I'm going mono all the way, but if you absolutely don't want to waste your braid it works pretty well on conventional reels. I would never spool a spinner with braid.

Just my :2cents: ,

Calico Killer Kevin

ymin72
01-25-2008, 12:00 AM
I agree. I personally don't like braid. I'm going mono all the way, but if you absolutely don't want to waste your braid it works pretty well on conventional reels. I would never spool a spinner with braid.

Just my :2cents: ,

Calico Killer Kevin

For spinner, I'd much rather put on braid so i dont have to deal with the line twist. Dont matter how you put line on the reel or your retrieve style..... no twist.

Just my thought.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-25-2008, 07:24 AM
I TRIED EVERY KIND OF BRAID, AND FOUND THE FIRELINE CRYSTAL TO HAVE THE BEST COATING .NOTHING BEATS THE FEEL OF BRAID. ITS ON MY DROP SHOT SPINNING USING 8LB ,DIA.OF 2LB. ALSO ON MY BAY SPINNING 12LB, 4LB DIA. SPINNING, AND ALL MY BAITCASTERS 20LB DIA OF 8LB. EXCEPT MY CRANKING OUT FIT. THE OTHER BRAIDS SUCKED UNTIL I TRIED THE CRYSTAL FIRE LINE.IF YOUR USING A LESS EXSPENSIVE SPINNING REEL OR ROD THE BRAID WILL JACK IT UP QUICK.. GOOD LUCK . MIKE THE PMB...

spiceguy
01-25-2008, 12:46 PM
I agree with PMB, Fireline rocks but what do I know, only been fishin' for 50yrs................ :wink:

bonitoboy
01-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the info, I have to admit I was surprised by the high volume of responses, but I guess that's what makes this site the best, in my opinion. Just a quick reply to some of you...
PMB- you said that the braid will ruin my FX4000 spinning reel, i assume this because my reel costs like 15 bucks when I bought it like 15 years ago. It has been ultra dependable and I have caught hundreds of fish on it. I have a sevylor fish hunter fully outfitted and I have been going to king's harbor in redondo for about 15 years catching and releasing Bonito, my favorite fish to C & R, hence my username. But I have switched to surf fishing because Redondo hasn't held any great numbers of Bonito for years now, at least not like i remember as a kid. The old reliable fx4000 has been able to handle hundreds of bonito but I would not classify it as a expensive reel. I bought the calcultta rod specifically for surf fishing (wanna be a wingnut) but I did not buy a reel for it. I can afford probably $50 for a new spinning, but do they make spinners specifically for braided line? I love my ugly stik/catala setup and it has been producing on the surf, but i want to save that as my primary in the boat for when Redondo's bonito fishery picks up. So it is really my backup on the surf. (Can't risk dropping in the water or sand to many times) All your help has been extremely helpful and I thank all for your continued support.

Cangler
01-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I TRIED EVERY KIND OF BRAID, AND FOUND THE FIRELINE CRYSTAL TO HAVE THE BEST COATING .NOTHING BEATS THE FEEL OF BRAID. ITS ON MY DROP SHOT SPINNING USING 8LB ,DIA.OF 2LB. ALSO ON MY BAY SPINNING 12LB, 4LB DIA. SPINNING, AND ALL MY BAITCASTERS 20LB DIA OF 8LB. EXCEPT MY CRANKING OUT FIT. THE OTHER BRAIDS SUCKED UNTIL I TRIED THE CRYSTAL FIRE LINE.IF YOUR USING A LESS EXSPENSIVE SPINNING REEL OR ROD THE BRAID WILL JACK IT UP QUICK.. GOOD LUCK . MIKE THE PMB...

Yep ... PMB got me on fireline last year

You cant beat it , casts smooth and far , no line twist and you feel every bite .

My catch rate went up by x4 ... id never fish mono again !

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-26-2008, 07:46 AM
MY REELS ARE ALL SHIMANO 1500,2500 SEDONAS AND A 750. THERE LIKE $ 49.00. IVE NEVER HAD ,A PROBLEM WITH THOSE REELS, USING BRAID. WHEN I FIRST GOT BACK, INTO FISHING 3 YRS AGO ,AFTER A 15YR LAYOFF ,I FIRST BOUGHT THE WALMART CHEAPER SPINNING REELS($29.00) AND RUINED THEM USING BRAID. BEFORE I GOT SMART, AND WENT TO SHIMANO. I DONT BELIEVE IN SPENDING ALOT OF MONEY ON SPINNING REELS. BAITCASTERS ARE A DEFFERENT STORY. JUST REMEMBER TO USE THE STONGEST AND SMALLEST BARREL SWIVLES, TO PREVENT LINE TWISTING, AND TIE ON YOUR FLORO LEADER. I HAVE MY LEADER AT LEAST 24" FROM THE SWIVLE BEFORE TYING ANY RIG ON.. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK, MIKE THE TIGHT WAD PMB !!

MikeAce00
01-26-2008, 04:49 PM
For those of you using braid on spinning gear... are you also using a fluoro leader? I'm thinking of switching to braid for my surf outfit if it will increase the sensitivity. Anbody else use this set-up for the surf (carolina)? If so do you have a problem with tangles?

Thanks guys- Great Thread!

Mike

SanDimasLMB
01-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Braid is probably one of the best fishing lines available when considering the strength to size ratio of the spectra fibers, not to mention braid's incredible abrasion resistance. Like many have already said, braid is not your typical monofilament. Braid exhibits no strech at all which is why it really shouldn't be used on spinning tackle. Also, remember, braid exerts a tremendous amount of pressure on your reel's gears and internals, which is why it is best suited for baitcasters.

one_leg
01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Also, remember, braid exhibits a tremendous amount of pressure on your reel's gears and internals, which is why it is best suited for baitcasters.

Did you mean to say "exerts" in place of exhibits?

O_L

SanDimasLMB
01-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Also, remember, braid exhibits a tremendous amount of pressure on your reel's gears and internals, which is why it is best suited for baitcasters.

Did you mean to say "exerts" in place of exhibits?

O_L

I was actually gonna put "seems to exhibit" but exerts works better! Thanks for the grammar help Alan :oops:

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-28-2008, 09:56 AM
I AGREE SAN DIMAS. THAT IS WHY, I BUY THE CHEAPER ,SHIMANO LINE .I CAN JUST ,THROW THEM AWAY, WHEN THEY WEAR OUT. SAN DIMAS IF YOU STILLL HAVE THAT SEDONA 4000 IM INTERESTED. I NEED TO GET RID OF MY 2500, WITH THE 8.5 IM-7 IM GETTING INTO THE BACKING USING 12LB RATED 4 LB. DIA. WITH ONLY 1/2 OZ. SHOOT ME A PM, AND I CAN PICK IT UP NEXT TIME I FISH THE BAY. THANKS MIKE THE SKUNKED PMB.....